Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I enjoyed it. Echo what some say about a messy 2nd act but the biggest mistake they made was …

Not sticking with the multiverse concept. Given the second post-credit scene and the upcoming doctor strange sequel it felt odd to say “oh well, it’s all fixed now kthxbye”. Yes it gets rid of the plot convenience of TobY/Andrew but I’d have personally preferred it to double down on the crazy.

Still, one of the better Marvel films and would watch again. Loved the Matt Murdoch cameo, but was gutted they didn’t use him more.

Associate
Second one is by far the best though :confused:

Maybe. Maybe I was just distracted by how much bigger Dunst chest is in the first one and how much more prominent they were to the film. :D

I personal prefer the first one but the bar isn't high. My son prefers the last one, which is dreadful. Toby is alright as parker but terrible as spideman, Garfield for me is better Spidey but just didn't sit right as parker.

Soldato
Just seen this having avoided most of the spoilers. Solid 8/10 a few really great moments. Didn't quite beat Spiderman 1 and 2 but it might been Holland's best. A top class MCU film definitely pushing towards the upper end.

I though Garfield had a great come back as Spidey when he saves MJ had real emotional heft. Also the after credit with Venom is that a Garfield soft re-boot option? Maguire had 3 baddies, Garfield only had 2, Maguire has already had Venom and Brock, Garfield hasn't had either. Maybe Garfield will be the Spidey in a Venom crossover.

Maguire was ace, he fit right back into his character and the bit where he saved Holland from becoming a killer was so on point for his Spidey.

The villains were excellent and Fox, Molina and DeFoe really nailed their characters, Fox's Electro was much improved. I'm assuming Ifans and Church were only done re-using old footage or did they do new voice work?

Apart from Hogan and the Iron Spider there was barely any MCU in this film sure the Avengers were mentioned but it was all the better for stripping it back.

Finally Holland's 6th outing as Spidey was his most emotional some real payoff and loss. Maguire walking away from MJ at the end of Spiderman 1 or giving up Spidey in Spiderman 2 were real emotional high points that aren't beaten here. But this is comfortably the most meaningful film for Holland's Spidey

Last edited:
Soldato
They should have made happy marry Aunt may and then killed him, it would basically have been Holland uncle Ben moment.

I personally didn't like it. The annoying manor that Holland has of being basically like a 12yr old in all his comedy moment annoys me. The changing of the spell illustrates this lack of seriousness that ebs and flows through this series of spiderman.

Got even worse when he takes a very clearly dangerous set of people and has a epiphany that he can save them and it's the reason I dislike this film. I often find that I cannot take a story seriously the second someone makes a massive decision that no one in their right mind would do.
You've broken the world, caused a ton of damage to everyone and then when your presented a solution, which everyone in their right mind would take, you don't.

The whole film was based around this decision which imo made the story weak.
I'd go as far as to say that without the Iron man influence and the general MCU overarching storyline of Civil War, I'd say this version of Spiderman is the weakest of the 3

Garfield > Maguire >= Holland

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got even worse when he takes a very clearly dangerous set of people and has a epiphany that he can save them and it's the reason I dislike this film. I often find that I cannot take a story seriously the second someone makes a massive decision that no one in their right mind would do.
You've broken the world, caused a ton of damage to everyone and then when your presented a solution, which everyone in their right mind would take, you don't.

His Aunt convinced him to save them, he was happy to send them back to die.

He did what his Aunt wanted.

Soldato
Well in either case it's stupid. Ignore the bint because it clearly an awful idea. Making it the premise of the whole film makes the film just as bad.

Man of Honour
They should have made happy marry Aunt may and then killed him, it would basically have been Holland uncle Ben moment.

I personally didn't like it. The annoying manor that Holland has of being basically like a 12yr old in all his comedy moment annoys me. The changing of the spell illustrates this lack of seriousness that ebs and flows through this series of spiderman.

I'd go as far as to say that without the Iron man influence and the general MCU overarching storyline of Civil War, I'd say this version of Spiderman is the weakest of the 3

He's supposed to be child isn't he?

Soldato
I thought he was about 16 when he returned so give or takes he's meant to be 17/18. I assume he's finishing school as he's applied to college.

Last edited:
Associate

Making Happy Holland's Uncle Ben moment wouldn't make much sense. He already had his faux-Uncle Ben moment when he lost Tony, and the connection there was way stronger it ever could have been with Happy. He needed a true Uncle Ben moment by losing a blood relative, which Aunt May fits perfectly given the absence of the actual Uncle Ben in Tom's universe.

I do get what you mean about Tom seeming quite childish and immature, and I did also think that, but Strange's simple line about "sometimes I forget that you're just a kid" brought it all home for me (no pun intended). I think Tom's Peter is still in his late teens (17/18/19) in these movies. He's literally a dumb, naïve little kid. Whenever he got into trouble in the past, Tony was there to save his butt, be it Tony himself or with his tech, so Tom's Peter hadn't really learnt real loss or consequence as a result of his direct actions. He wanted to have his cake and eat it - save the girl, save the villains, save his friends, save his personal life, so Aunt May's death was about as good a wake up as he could have gotten - he's learnt the hard way that you can't have everything.

Tom's movies have been a bit strange, because they've felt more like "Ironman/Avengers featuring Spider-Man" rather than standalone Spider-Man films in themselves. In a way, it's weird that it's taken 3 movies to get here, but this movie felt more like Tom's true Spider-Man origin movie, in that it hits the pivotal "Uncle Ben-character dying" plot point finally, which previously was one of the first things they got out the way since it is such a character-defining moment for Spider-Man. But hopefully this is the start of a more conscious and mature Holland Peter.

Caporegime
He's 17, the events of this happen very soon after the last movie.

And he was blipped for 5 years.

The whole issue could have been avoided if Dr. strange had a proper conversation with him beforehand rather than just strolling downstairs to carry out the spell.

Soldato
Fancy having a superhero not just callously let people die without a moments hesitation.

Crazy writers! ;)
They were all bad guys, bad guys who had already been killed and in most super hero movies the bad guy eventually gets killed.

This film was just a super hero movie with extra steps.

Soldato
They're just going to go back and get arrested anyway, or killed by their universes Spiderman who doesn't believe they've changed. It's a very contrived imo.

Well, fair enough then. Might as well have just gunned them down himself while laughing maniacally.

You guys must hate Batman. :D

Caporegime
Oh, fair point.

I assume they would go back to a point when it could make a difference, not just a milisecond before they die.

For instance, towards the end of the first Tobey Maguire Spider-man, Green Goblin was pretending to ask Peter for help, when really he was lining up his glider behind him in order to kill him, but Peter jumped out of the way just in time and Green Goblin ended up impaling himself.

If the changed Green Goblin went back then, he wouldn't be lying anymore and the glider wouldn't attack.

Back
Top Bottom