Spiders

Not last night but the night before, I got up about 3am to use the toilet. When I got back to bed and started to drift off, I felt the pitter patter of a largish spider running over my arm. I immediately reacted in fear and horror and brushed it violently away. I could not sleep for the rest of the night
I've always had the fear but I did lose it in my army cadet days while having to sleep in forests and such but it came back again. My old flat in the centre on a city, I almost never saw one. Since moving to a more rural area, there's quite a few

Which irrational fears do you suffer from? Are spiders yours too?

Last edited:
Don't think many people like spiders regardless, even if not an irrational fear.

I can't stand them because of the absolute mess they leave behind. I'm forever hoovering them up out of corners.

Weirdly, I can't stand the webs - I have a proper phobia of them. If there's a spider web going near the car door - I can't touch it, go near it or anything it drives me insane. One time I walked through a full-blown web, and I went off like a proper Karen.

On the other hand - the spiders themselves, I don't have much problem with, I can pick them up or whatever - it's just the webs, nope.

Spiders are amazing. The fat bottomed ones get me though, others I can pick up.

Not so irrational to check toilets for them when you visit Aus though, I didn't feel quite as stupid then. Getting firewood with my mate from her shed and needing to wear gloves so you didn't get bitten makes it more of a rational apprehension.

Bizarrely though. As much as I have a phobia of spiders I also find tarantulas fascinating. I've held one but they're actually really interesting animals. But because they're big they're quote obvious. It's the 'true spiders' that all bug me

The only spider I don't really mind, in the UK at least, is the Zebra Jumping Spider. We get lots of them near my house and they're actually really interesting to watch. I see one frequently in my shed and I don't mind cohabiting with her because she's harmless. Sometimes if i see her walking about I'll tap near her and she spins around to see what the thud was then watches me for a bit.

All the other spiders can either get in the bin, be flushed, vacuumed up or meet their end with a slipper.

Can't stand the things.

Whether you're a creationist: "Yeah yeah, let's create an animal with 8 legs, loads of eyes and spews silk out of its ass"

Or a believer in evolution: Why on earth did it evolve to have 8 legs, loads of eyes and spew silk out of its ass? Why did that strategy win out over time...

They seem so alien and unnatural to me.

Seen some pretty huge spiders when opening tropical fruit and South American banana containers, which in the case of banana's, can have a clear plastic sheet behind the door, so coming face to face with a face sized spider was pretty common.
One that does scare me though is the wandering or banana spider. Nasty piece of work in usual temps and can still put up a good fight at 10°c and seen looking for a fight at 4°c

Seen some pretty huge spiders when opening tropical fruit and South American banana containers, which in the case of banana's, can have a clear plastic sheet behind the door, so coming face to face with a face sized spider was pretty common.
One that does scare me though is the wandering or banana spider. Nasty piece of work in usual temps and can still put up a good fight at 10°c and seen looking for a fight at 4°c
Were you opening the containers here? I always wondered what are you supposed to do. If a greengrocer gets some fruit delivered, opens it and there's some huge exotic spider in there. What are they supposed to do? Also if it escapes... now I'm worried are there wild tarantulas in the UK :eek:

Last edited:
Weirdly, I can't stand the webs - I have a proper phobia of them. If there's a spider web going near the car door - I can't touch it, go near it or anything it drives me insane.
Exactly the same here.
I live in an old cottage and there’s millions of them. I’ll often go to sleep with several on the bedroom ceiling and no problem, but if I walk into the greenhouse and one has spun a web in the doorway and it touches me :eek::eek::eek::eek:
What’s worse is I work on cars for a living and they’re unavoidable.

Back
Top Bottom