Spiders

Weirdly, I can't stand the webs
Same here. Spiders are ok as long as they are not to big and keep to the corners/edges of the room, but if they go in for the kill they are dead meat.

Seem to be getting a lot of daddy longleg type spiders at the momment and their webs are all over the place.

Last edited:
Exactly the same here.
I live in an old cottage and there’s millions of them. I’ll often go to sleep with several on the bedroom ceiling and no problem, but if I walk into the greenhouse and one has spun a web in the doorway and it touches me :eek::eek::eek::eek:
What’s worse is I work on cars for a living and they’re unavoidable.
Everytime I go into the shed :(. Also there is also one that has created a web around the doorlock. Obviously it's that spiders little cave. Worried every time I put the key in that it's gonna jump out and eat me. :p

Exactly the same here.
I live in an old cottage and there’s millions of them. I’ll often go to sleep with several on the bedroom ceiling and no problem, but if I walk into the greenhouse and one has spun a web in the doorway and it touches me :eek::eek::eek::eek:
What’s worse is I work on cars for a living and they’re unavoidable.

lol

last time there was a web near the car, (quite a big one) I had to stand about 10ft away from it, and thew branches, twigs, bits of rubbish at it - to try and break it. I also can't stand the horrid crackling/noise they make when they break, so I have to shout really loudly whilst I'm doing it.

I'm a proper melt when I'm near the webs :|

Were you opening the containers here? I always wondered what are you supposed to do. If a greengrocer gets some fruit delivered, opens it and there's some huge exotic spider in there. What are they supposed to do? Also if it escapes... now I'm worried are there wild tarantulas in the UK :eek:

These were and generally they would escape, with many different creatures that we could hear, or suspect were living in the insulated building.
If there were too many, we would get the ship to sign them off as not being safe or usable.
One container was full of Wander's and the ship came down and muttered about us being soft, so he was taken into the container and a few pallets were moved. He came out shaking and signed that one off pretty quickly. It was alive with them.
The container was plugged in and collected later, probably a zoo or similar.

Lost count of the amount of spiders, insects and even a small monkey I've seen or handled over the years.

TBH The tarantulas would be fine and even many of the SA spiders, but I would advise anyone to look up and remember the pose a Wander does and do not go near it.

Last edited:
Love spiders, I just leave them be, there's a few big ones that hang out. Although the other day I came downstairs late at night and went into the kitchen and one must have laid eggs in the light fixture as there had to be at least 100 baby spiders hanging from the ceiling and crawling across the surfaces and out the window. I left them and by the morning they were all gone!

I don't get any flies, gnats or other insects in the house though, my spider bros sort them out.

last time there was a web near the car, (quite a big one) I had to stand about 10ft away from it, and thew branches, twigs, bits of rubbish at it - to try and break it. I also can't stand the horrid crackling/noise they make when they break, so I have to shout really loudly whilst I'm doing it.
Just picturing that in my mind has me cracking up.
My boss just said WTF are you laughing at? :cry:

These were and generally they would escape, with many different creatures that we could hear, or suspect were living in the insulated building.
If there were too many, we would get the ship to sign them off as not being safe or usable.
One container was full of Wander's and the ship came down and muttered about us being soft, so he was taken into the container and a few pallets were moved. He came out shaking and signed that one off pretty quickly. It was alive with them.
The container was plugged in and collected later, probably a zoo or similar.

Lost count of the amount of spiders, insects and even a small monkey I've seen or handled over the years.

TBH The tarantulas would be fine and even many of the SA spiders, but I would advise anyone to look up and remember the pose a Wander does and do not go near it.
Well now I won't be able to sleep :( I don't know what 'wander's' are, and I'm not googling them. Hopefully our winters kill most of them off :D

If you don't know what a Brazilian Wandering spider is, you're in for a treat. Have a look at what their venom does to men :cry:

If any creature on this planet could be described as 'on smoke. on sight'. It's them.

The women were well aware of what their venom could do to a male and were always on standby to assist if one was bitten :cry:

It is though described as a very long and painful erection :eek:

Well now I won't be able to sleep :( I don't know what 'wander's' are, and I'm not googling them. Hopefully our winters kill most of them off :D

I'd say the chances of spotting a spider, let alone a Wanderer in your local supermarket banana's is about the same as a local paper getting a story right.

Last edited:
If you don't know what a Brazilian Wandering spider is, you're in for a treat. Have a look at what their venom does to men :cry:

If any creature on this planet could be described as 'on smoke. on sight'. It's them.

There was a documentary I watched a while back, of some guy who got bitten by something similar, and over the period of about 48 hours - his entire arm just turned into something resembling a Twiglet.

I did some gardening last week and found a false widow spider crawling on me after coming back indoors :E

Found a couple more since. They seem to be spreading fast.

Last edited:
I did some gardening last week and found a false widow spider crawling on me after coming back indoors :E

Found a couple more since. They seem to be spreading fast.
Recently had the exterior of our house painted, the painter told me he's been bitten by a false widow 3 times, sees a lot of them. Every time he had to get antibiotics from the doctors, nasty stuff.

I am the biggest pansy when it comes to spiders :D all of the ones in the UK are fine really except the chunky house spiders and false widows. And like others have said, I don't like the webs either.

Like webs, love spiders.

I think I may just have an irrational fear of big bums because they're the only ones that freak me out. Which annoys be because they are awesome creatures.

But yeah webs are beautiful. Seeing one of those tiger striped ones sat in a web on a chilly autumn morning in the garden, always brings a smile.

Recently had the exterior of our house painted, the painter told me he's been bitten by a false widow 3 times, sees a lot of them. Every time he had to get antibiotics from the doctors, nasty stuff.

I am the biggest pansy when it comes to spiders :D all of the ones in the UK are fine really except the chunky house spiders and false widows. And like others have said, I don't like the webs either.

Orb weavers, which are native spiders can bite too and I get quite a few of those in the garden (my garden is quite a hot box being enclosed and south facing). Though they only live outdoors and nowhere near as bad as false widows.

We do have a few others in the UK which are poisonous but not serious. Tube web spiders live in walls can be quite aggressive if you get close.

Last edited:

Eughh even the naming of them.

Brazilian wandering spiders are aggressive spiders that belong to the genus Phoneutria, which means "murderess" in Greek.

I wouldn't choose to share my home with spiders, they do make me jump/afraid etc, but I always to avoid harming them. If i see 1 inside I try my best to catch it and usually place it outside at the foot of the door of my shed hoping it goes inside there. I have killed some that I couldn't catch but not many.

Back
Top Bottom