Split Air con

Soldato
No problem. Someone in the tread mentioned the film the other day which I had not thought about either. My kitchen patio and window both have blinds too (aluminium intu blinds) which I use to block out the sun and you can feel a difference but it does still let a lot of heat in.

I often have my blinds shut all day in the summer which is not ideal. If the film means I can have the blinds open more and reject much more heat I will be quids in with the running costs of the AC. I have 2x 2.5kw units in the 2 bedrooms above the kitchen and these are way over spec'd for the rooms (2.5 x 3.9m and 2.2 x 2.8m). Quite often I just run them with the rooms doors open and it helps keep the rest of the house cool (apart from the kitchen). I do the same with my third 2.5kw unit in my master bedroom on the floor above.

Soldato
Soldato
No problem. Someone in the tread mentioned the film the other day which I had not thought about either. My kitchen patio and window both have blinds too (aluminium intu blinds) which I use to block out the sun and you can feel a difference but it does still let a lot of heat in.

I often have my blinds shut all day in the summer which is not ideal. If the film means I can have the blinds open more and reject much more heat I will be quids in with the running costs of the AC. I have 2x 2.5kw units in the 2 bedrooms above the kitchen and these are way over spec'd for the rooms (2.5 x 3.9m and 2.2 x 2.8m). Quite often I just run them with the rooms doors open and it helps keep the rest of the house cool (apart from the kitchen). I do the same with my third 2.5kw unit in my master bedroom on the floor above.

Yeah exactly. In the summer we basically don't look into the garden as the blinds are always closed!!

What are thoughts on roof units? I appreciate it will be a lot more work however the old man is not a fan of the look of the on-wall units, and having cabling that can be seen from the rear of the house

Soldato
Yeah exactly. In the summer we basically don't look into the garden as the blinds are always closed!!

What are thoughts on roof units? I appreciate it will be a lot more work however the old man is not a fan of the look of the on-wall units, and having cabling that can be seen from the rear of the house

Ceiling mounted internal units still need the outdoor compressor I think. Wouldn't be enough airflow in the loft space to bring in cooler air properly would turn into the hottest oven in the world.

Potentially some logistical challenges in getting them into the loft space (for me for example, is the loft hatch big enough to get a unit through it?). Beyond that a bit messier as you need to cut larger holes in the ceiling to mount them.

The wall units aren't the prettiest, but the ones in my range (Mitsubishi Electric LN25) are one of the better looking ones I've seen. Think Daikin did a nicer looking internal one as well (Emura I think it is).

Soldato
Soldato
Ceiling mounted internal units still need the outdoor compressor I think. Wouldn't be enough airflow in the loft space to bring in cooler air properly would turn into the hottest oven in the world.

Potentially some logistical challenges in getting them into the loft space (for me for example, is the loft hatch big enough to get a unit through it?). Beyond that a bit messier as you need to cut larger holes in the ceiling to mount them.

The wall units aren't the prettiest, but the ones in my range (Mitsubishi Electric LN25) are one of the better looking ones I've seen. Think Daikin did a nicer looking internal one as well (Emura I think it is).
Yeah, no doubt the outdoor compressor will be required as there is not a lot of ceiling space. Potentially the pipes could go straight through the ceiling onto the flat roof, but I need to talk to a roofer really on waterproofing it as the roof is GRP

Soldato
Yeah, no doubt the outdoor compressor will be required as there is not a lot of ceiling space. Potentially the pipes could go straight through the ceiling onto the flat roof, but I need to talk to a roofer really on waterproofing it as the roof is GRP

From the compressor you only need to run the power and refrigerant lines so water proofing the roof shouldn't really come into it.

The condensate can run out elsewhere as long as it's gravity fed (i.e. the water escape pipes always go horizontal or down), for example using existing downpipes, or even internal water escape routes.

Soldato
Soldato
From the compressor you only need to run the power and refrigerant lines so water proofing the roof shouldn't really come into it.

The condensate can run out elsewhere as long as it's gravity fed (i.e. the water escape pipes always go horizontal or down), for example using existing downpipes, or even internal water escape routes.

I think it would need an element. If the power/refrigerant lines were to go straight & vertically through onto the flat roof, then obviously rain water could trickle down on the outside of the pipes?

Here are some pics of the joists etc from build stage:

VEhar7V.jpg

rUQqhqn.jpg

Soldato
@ShivP I am not sure how you would go about installing the ceiling units in your setup as I would have thought your roof is fully sealed (for waterproofing). You will also have a job hiding any of the refrigerant pipes on the wall mounted units too. Did the AC installer discuss where he would run the pipes and put the external unit?

I have just had a quote for the solar film on all my windows on the back of my house (apart from top floor ensuite) £280 all in. He is fitting them on Wednesday :O

Soldato
Yeah I think you'd struggle retrofitting into that ceiling space.

Wall mounts at either side of the room may work though? that is also where the side of the house is so you wouldn't see them on the same side as the main doors.

Soldato
Soldato
Thanks chaps. Yes, I think ceiling is out of the question now - it would require too much work TBH.

I have had one local guy come this morning. He uses Mitsubishi units normally, and also fits Daikin but he said these are far more pricey. The only issue I think of is that the Mitsubishi units he use only carry a 2 year warranty (he said something about if he services them the warranty can be extended further)

He will give me two options. One will be for putting the condensors on the flat roof on rubber mounts (not screwed down), or alternatively wall mount on either side of the house. I am of a mind that the flat roof units will be better as there will be less pipework visible from the garden - on the sides there will be a fair amount of trunking

RJC

RJC

Don
Thanks chaps. Yes, I think ceiling is out of the question now - it would require too much work TBH.

I have had one local guy come this morning. He uses Mitsubishi units normally, and also fits Daikin but he said these are far more pricey. The only issue I think of is that the Mitsubishi units he use only carry a 2 year warranty (he said something about if he services them the warranty can be extended further)

He will give me two options. One will be for putting the condensors on the flat roof on rubber mounts (not screwed down), or alternatively wall mount on either side of the house. I am of a mind that the flat roof units will be better as there will be less pipework visible from the garden - on the sides there will be a fair amount of trunking

Have a look at Panasonic, they have good warranty.

Also I would say wall mount will be best or they do a Floor console.

https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/Panasonic-Floor-Console.html

Soldato
If the condensate from the unit runs out the wall and downwards I think that wouldn't be required. Only if you want the condensate to run upwards.

Yep that's right - hence he would need a pump if it is on the roof as he suggested

Is the condensate not a separate pipe and direction from the condensers?

It runs from the internal units, usually back out to the compressor where it is usually directed somewhere it can drain away

Soldato
Yep that's right - hence he would need a pump if it is on the roof as he suggested

It runs from the internal units, usually back out to the compressor where it is usually directed somewhere it can drain away

No I don't think that's right.

No reason for the condensate to go back to the compressor at all. Out the wall then down to a nearby drain or whatever.

Soldato
No I don't think that's right.

No reason for the condensate to go back to the compressor at all. Out the wall then down to a nearby drain or whatever.

Ah yeah that's a good point actually - doh! Though I suppose in the case we are discussing that would probably mean an additional hole in the wall, for whatever that's worth

Soldato
Ah yeah that's a good point actually - doh! Though I suppose in the case we are discussing that would probably mean an additional hole in the wall, for whatever that's worth

No that shouldn't be true either.

From wall unit the 3 pipes come out through the wall at the same hole (refrigerant, power, condensate).

The condensate line can then take a different path once it's out of the wall compared to the refrigerant and power lines.

Soldato
No that shouldn't be true either.

From wall unit the 3 pipes come out through the wall at the same hole (refrigerant, power, condensate).

The condensate line can then take a different path once it's out of the wall compared to the refrigerant and power lines.

I thought we were talking about some sort of ceiling mounted unit? In which case why wouldn't you want to route the power + coolant straight up instead of along to a wall and back up again? I'm probably just being an idiot and didn't read what was said properly though!

Back
Top Bottom