Split Air con

Soldato
Is that near the compressor or where they worked on the lines as it'll likely be compressor oil @HungryHippos, when you release refrigerant to connect on to the service valve a small amount of oil in the lines also escapes.

I would try a degreaser on it.

Soldato
Is there near the compressor or where they worked on the lines as it'll likely be compressor oil @HungryHippos, when you release refrigerant to connect on to the service valve a small amount of oil in the lines also escapes.

I would try a degreaser on it.

Yes it is indeed.

Just strikes me as odd that they didn't account for it whilst working there, if it's grease then it's all over the patio, not a word was said to me about it.

Not got any degreaser myself but it's probably what is needed if that is the case.

RJC

RJC

Don
@HungryHippos Thank you.
The stain could be vac pump oil, vacuum pumps are often oily if they aren’t careful when doing a oil change - I been there done that and got covered in hot watery oily oil :p

Try washing up liquid.

Soldato
@norm the other unit sits beside this one which myself and my Dad installed a couple of years ago with the use of a scaffold tower which was fun

Ah, you're not worried about someone reporting you to the planners then as technically you are only allowed one unit :) but if it's obscured from view like yours is then should be alright.

Your 5kw unit, what sort of current draw is on that? Did they spur it off a ring? With that sort of power does it cool the space fairly quick?

RJC

RJC

Don
Ah, you're not worried about someone reporting you to the planners then as technically you are only allowed one unit :) but if it's obscured from view like yours is then should be alright.

Your 5kw unit, what sort of current draw is on that? Did they spur it off a ring? With that sort of power does it cool the space fairly quick?

Not really as you mention they are hidden from the road side due to the extension and the garden is fairly well shielded - I could always apply retrospective permission.

Not checked on current draw, I will do that tomorrow, they come off the outside socket which is the 32a ring main for the kitchen appliances.

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad it went well and is complete @RJC! It looks like you have the perfect placement for your units. I have been in two minds about getting another unit installed to add AC to my guest bedroom, living room and maybe kitchen. I think I will try the solar film as @R4z0r suggested first. We had a really hot day today in Cambridge (36c) and only my kitchen got to 26c as that is the only room with the sun on it from about 12pm without any AC. The rest of the house was 21-22c.

I placed a fan in my hall way pointing in to my lounge when I got home from work and that really cooled the living room down nicely. I wonder if we will have such a warm spring and summer next year.

P.S @RJC, it looks like your sauna room window frame could do with some TLC :p What do you plan to do with this room?

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
@fobose that is a good question, what I think I am going to do is where the small window is cut the brick work and install French doors with a side window where the chimney is and similar at the front. Put a new roof on - probably polycarbonate (dual or triple thick) which has better heat resistance properties.

Soldato
@fobose that is a good question, what I think I am going to do is where the small window is cut the brick work and install French doors with a side window where the chimney is and similar at the front. Put a new roof on - probably polycarbonate (dual or triple thick) which has better heat resistance properties.

RJC who did you use to install/supply yours (Im kent based too)? I will probably look to have this done in the future

Soldato

Sounds like a plan :)

I contacted a small firm I've seen advertised on FB about installing solar film on my patio doors and kitchen window. He wants £150 all in if going for the internal film or about £20 more for the external. The patio doors have intu blinds which I will need to remove if going for the internal ones and then get them refitted. I didn't think the price was too bad. Might even get my upstairs rooms where the AC is done too to reduce the amount I need to use the AC.

RJC

RJC

Don
Sounds like a plan :)

I contacted a small firm I've seen advertised on FB about installing solar film on my patio doors and kitchen window. He wants £150 all in if going for the internal film or about £20 more for the external. The patio doors have intu blinds which I will need to remove if going for the internal ones and then get them refitted. I didn't think the price was too bad. Might even get my upstairs rooms where the AC is done too to reduce the amount I need to use the AC.

Let me know how you get on if possible, as it might be something I can think of in the future.

Soldato
You guys looked much at the new govt grant thing they are doing?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...e-p5-000-vouchers-to-improve-energy-efficien/

Apparently new build homes will be exempt, and some hoops to jump through. I reckon as my house is only built in 2012/2013 it would be excluded but the age classification for that hasn't been confirmed yet.

Which could wind up being a shame as the solar thing sounds interesting. The only thing my gas boiler is doing right now is hot water, the AC units are capable of doing the heating generally I think if I wanted them to.

For older houses they've also said that in order to add heat pumps things like the insulation and windows would need to be done alongside them, or already be up to scratch. Makes sense I guess as adding heat pumps to a leaky house with single glazing doesn't make sense.

Permabanned
I’ll be looking into this for sure.

Before I brought my split unit we were looking into air to water heat pumps with rads etc but we were being quoted about 7k. Might look into it again or whatever else makes sense.

Soldato
Soldato
Hello chaps. After some split system guidance.

Here is the room
XJQFqNr.jpg
LNlEgpA.jpg

Naturally, it gets too hot even on a slightly sunny day and it was a massive mistake not having it fitted when it was built, but anyway...

I am obtaining a few quotes from local people, but can anyone give any pointers roughly how much "power" I should be looking for?
The room is 14X4.8metres, 2.8m ceiling. There are two roof 'lanterns', 2 sets of bifold doors and 1 window so plenty of direct sunlight. The first chap I asked has recommended 2x split 6kW systems which seems like a hell of a lot for one room, but is that in the ball park I should be looking at?

£3400 excl. VAT fitted, with the sparky for us to sort.

Soldato
@ShivP have you thought about solar film on all of your panes of glass? I had a local firm quote me £150 all in for a patio door half your size and a window half your size too. Mind you, that would probably mean about £1000 for all of yours with your lanterns too. It could reduce the amount of cooling you would need.

I couldn't answer what size kw units you would need. I think 2x 6kW seems excessive but perhaps its due to all the glass!

P.S lovely looking living area and kitchen you have there :)

Soldato
Soldato
@ShivP have you thought about solar film on all of your panes of glass? I had a local firm quote me £150 all in for a patio door half your size and a window half your size too. Mind you, that would probably mean about £1000 for all of yours with your lanterns too. It could reduce the amount of cooling you would need.

I couldn't answer what size kw units you would need. I think 2x 6kW seems excessive but perhaps its due to all the glass!

P.S lovely looking living area and kitchen you have there :)
I believe the lanterns have solar film pre installed however not thought about the doors and windows yet so thanks I will look into that. The doors have integral blinds though so do you think it would help in that case?

Thank you, that is an old photo inside, it looks less 'showhome' now but couldn't be bothered to take a new one!!

Back
Top Bottom