Split Air con

Soldato
So at beginning of November I had Sub Cool out to install a ducted system in the loft for my upstairs bedrooms, along with a wall mounted unit in my lounge on one system and then a separate wall mounted unit on my wife's outdoor office at the bottom of the garden. All Mitsubishi Electric, with a "dumb" unit in the outside office and "Smart" connected for the upstairs and lounge.

Three guys came out and were really good throughout, piling through the outdoor unit in one morning by one of them as my wife was in the office that day, whilst 2 others worked in the house mainly getting the loft unit and ducting in place on day one. Second day was then spent putting the outdoor pipework together and mounting the wall unit in the lounge. The system was pressure tested overnight on the second night and then they came back Wednesday morning to finalise the install and sign everything off.

Overall the disruption to myself and my wife was minimal despite us both being at home. All installs were really neat with no internal cable runs for electrics instead going outside which you can just about see in the photo below. There was one area I wasn't happy with and that was the pipework that went over my Porch (see below), but they came back out on Tuesday in the horrific weather and tidied it all up to a much more satisfactory standard, I'll put a picture up shortly. Only other minor issue was they didn't put much effort into putting the loft lagging back in place so had to go and tidy that up, which with a shallow pitch roof and split ducting system in the way meant it was a good old crawl around!

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow. Overall Subcool are highly recommended, and they were about £2k less than the next cheapest quote too.

Man of Honour
Subcool quoted me for a similar setup, albeit slightly smaller units 3.5kw each for Daikin at £3552 + VAT. To supply my outdoor office, albeit again 3.5kw and being fitted at the same time with barely any run to the external unit for £770+vat, so the £2094 + VAT for a single unit does indeed seem pretty steep, but it is London. Subcool come highly recommended on here, so give them a try if they'll come up to you.

Welcome to London prices. Ours were a similar price. Worth it though. I’m still using the gaming room unit for longer gaming sessions.

Soldato
I will be interested to see those pictures SoliD. Sub Cool not an option for me unfortunately as I'm up north, but the fitter I have used did a very tidy job of a wall mounted unit in our lounge.

We plan to have ducted to three bedrooms upstairs, but that was delayed as our loft hatch was tiny. Had it enlarged now, so we are ready to go ahead. I have some questions about specifics of how a ducted system works though, I wonder if you know these?

1) How does the airflow work? A wall mounted system is recirculating air from within the room. A ducted system feeding three rooms - does it have a return from one room? From all three? Or does it take air from the loft?

2) How is it controlled? Presumably a remote won't easily work - are ducted systems all wifi enabled?

3) How big is the ducting? Likely to get in the way of getting around the loft?

Of course I can ask the fitter these questions - but probably won't have him around again until the new year.

Soldato
I will be interested to see those pictures SoliD. Sub Cool not an option for me unfortunately as I'm up north, but the fitter I have used did a very tidy job of a wall mounted unit in our lounge.

We plan to have ducted to three bedrooms upstairs, but that was delayed as our loft hatch was tiny. Had it enlarged now, so we are ready to go ahead. I have some questions about specifics of how a ducted system works though, I wonder if you know these?

1) How does the airflow work? A wall mounted system is recirculating air from within the room. A ducted system feeding three rooms - does it have a return from one room? From all three? Or does it take air from the loft?

2) How is it controlled? Presumably a remote won't easily work - are ducted systems all wifi enabled?

3) How big is the ducting? Likely to get in the way of getting around the loft?

Of course I can ask the fitter these questions - but probably won't have him around again until the new year.

So

1) I have 4 bedrooms and it has 3 feeds, one from the hallway and then 2nd and 3rd bedrooms.

2)i have a wall mounted control unit but 90% of the time I use the app.

3) mine is mostly down in the pitch of the roof that is of no use to me (as too shallow) but would probably depend on your loft how much you would lose.

Soldato
I had a piv previously and asked if they could reuse the existing hole and they couldn't despite it being in the hallway. Suspect for 3 bedrooms they'd have 2 feeds. The 2 in the bedrooms are on the opposite corners of the house in the 2 least occupied rooms.

Soldato
Not come up yet, but it looks to me very similar to Central Heating, ie they hoover out the filters and double check the pressures. I will probably do it first year then not bother. I have hoovered my wall unit downstairs with the front off.

Man of Honour
Having watched our service, unless your worried about preserving the warranty, I wouldn’t bother. They removed and hoovered the filters, that was it.

My gaming air con unit is worth the world. Even in the winter I need it on.

Soldato
Having watched our service, unless your worried about preserving the warranty, I wouldn’t bother. They removed and hoovered the filters, that was it.

My gaming air con unit is worth the world. Even in the winter I need it on.

Yeah thats what i was told by other installers, they charge around £200.

Man of Honour
Was told £150 per unit for maintenance. I'd probably pay £150 for all 3 just to keep the warranty but for the little that they do I'm not paying £450.

I think we were quoted per outside inverter, we have 3, about £150 each I think it was. I’ll take my chances. If they break I’ll just replace the unit. Air con is pretty reliable.

Back
Top Bottom