Split Air con

Soldato
If you overspec too much, it can cause the unit to cool down too quickly and short cycle somewhat. It's not ideal.

I think our indoor units are 9k each. I have a 12k in my garden cabin. It is well insulated and works superbly.

Man of Honour
All it means is you’ll use more electricity for no gain.

But they only use what they need to hit the target temperature?

Across the house we have 12.5kw of cooling, but in reality they cost pennies to run and use nowhere near that. When it does come in handy is on the 30-40C days, and especially in my gaming room and on the side of the house that gets the afternoon sun, where they will have to work much harder to get the job done. I think on the 40C+ day my gaming room air con blasted out near full capacity most of the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
But they only use what they need to hit the target temperature?

Sort of but not really.

It's basically what Andy said but to elaborate its the spinning up of the compressor which uses a large amount of energy for little cooling/heating gain. So if the compressor is turning off every 15 mins because its either oversized or in the incorrect mode, it uses a ton more energy. All modern air to air heat pumps should be inverter compressors which means they can modulate down. However most only have a few modulation modes which are usually tied to fan speed (low/mid/high) and they can be pretty unsophisticated.

The other thing is that as an oversized unit is cycling, the temperature will also be going up/down 2/3 degrease as the units kicks in, cools (or heats), overshoots, shuts down and waits for the temperature to rise, rinse and repeat. Where as a correctly sized unit will maintain the target temperature in a steady state which is more comfortable. With the increased comfort of a steady state temperature, you can also get away with a higher temperature in cooling mode or a lower one in heating mode. That is because you don't feel those peaks and throughs in temperature.

None of us can categorically say how big/small a unit @dlockers should get, he needs to do a quick heat loss(gain) calculation to find out. The other factor to consider which will not show up on a heat loss(gain) calculation is the solar gain via the glazing in the summer. So if its borderline of the capability of the unit, then size up but don't go nuts for the reasons set out above.

Soldato
In case it's of interest to anyone, Costco have an offer on Daikan Sensira units for the next 4 weeks. Including VAT, delivery and fitting. Ranging from £1,529.99 for a 2.0kW unit to £2,245.99 for a 7.1kW unit.

Presumably might be of particular interest to people who would otherwise pay 'London prices' since it's a set cost.

Associate
It's so nice to walk into the bedroom at night and quickly cool the room from 24C down to 19C and get under the covers. Or set it remotely and walk into a blast of cold air when it is scorching outside.

Man of Honour
My office/playroom has been well over 30°C for the last few days. Considering getting a split unit installed with 2 outlets. One in the lounge and one in the playroom. Would definitely need someone to install it as I'm not comfortable doing it. Might have to have someone come out and take a look as the only places we can put the external unit is an awkward place for where the units would need to go.

Hmmm....

RJC

RJC

Don
My office/playroom has been well over 30°C for the last few days. Considering getting a split unit installed with 2 outlets. One in the lounge and one in the playroom. Would definitely need someone to install it as I'm not comfortable doing it. Might have to have someone come out and take a look as the only places we can put the external unit is an awkward place for where the units would need to go.

Hmmm....
Definitely worth doing.

I installed my first one (now in my parents living room) but got a friend to install the replacement and the one downstairs. I prefer chillers than split bashing.

Man of Honour

Hmmm....

Best thing we ever did. So good that we added it to every remaining room in the house.

Soldato
Screenshot-20240516-165021-Microsoft-365-Office.jpg

Guys, is this a good quote for what's listed above?

Caporegime
It's 2 indoor units, just a smaller one for the bedroom

Not terrible as it includes two condensate pumps, you need to watchout for those pumps which are in the trunking, can be loud at night i ended up installing a different type in the loft instead.

A Mitsubishi or Daikin system would probably be better, would they quote for that?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not terrible as it includes two condensate pumps, you need to watchout for those pumps which are in the trunking, can be loud at night i ended up installing a different type in the loft instead.

A Mitsubishi or Daikin system would probably be better, would they quote for that?

It's frustrating to be honest, out of maybe 5 companies contacted for quotes off of check a trade there's only been this company who has sent someone out, despite me informing them I'm disabled and can't really do a video call etc.

This company has said they only do the Bosch units

Man of Honour

I’ve heard that those pumps can be quite noisy. Luckily we didn’t need to go down that route.

It's frustrating to be honest, out of maybe 5 companies contacted for quotes off of check a trade there's only been this company who has sent someone out, despite me informing them I'm disabled and can't really do a video call etc.

This company has said they only do the Bosch units

Supply and demand I guess, there just aren’t many companies doing it. We could only get one out, probably ended up paying over the odds for it. Ours worked out at 2.5k per indoor unit, London prices and higher ended units out of those available at the time, this was a few years ago too.

Soldato
I wouldn’t go for Bosch either. If they’re forcing that down your throat they must have a deal on it.

If you have to get a pump you can get a mini orange and have the resovoir within the unit itself and have the pump away from the unit in say the attic. If you have to fit one at the unit i’d get them to fit a Silent mini lime aspen pumps blow those stupid saunermann pumps out the water :p

Soldato
Got my install happening tomorrow with a highly rated local company, not the one that quoted above. I've gone with 2 internal and 1 external Samsung units with a view to expanding to the 4 units at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom