Split Air con

For those who've owned units for some what type of increase have you seen to your bills over a year and over a typical UK summer?

lol, mine is on heating mode for past weeks. Crazy as we are in June already, my kids room is like tropical forest.

I think we are using 2-3kw a day with the air con at the moment for heating.

For those who've owned units for some what type of increase have you seen to your bills over a year and over a typical UK summer?
Luckily got solar before the next summer but it's maybe 8kwh a day at most to keep it on all day for our 4 bedroom loft unit.

It’ll be highly variable depending on setup and usage, but also consider the potential saving when using it for heating over gas/radiators.

End of the day, it’s a luxury that will increase your bill.

Even having two internal units, being in the bungalow with doors open it cools the whole house.
This was my concern, I'm in a flat and couldn't have a unit in my office, but the unit in the living room and my bedroom will cool the whole flat by leaving all the internal doors open. Sure, the office is a little warmer than the two rooms with the units, but it's not much different.

30c in my room atm, wish I could justify proper AC but its not warm long enough :(

The initial outlay is pretty steep for sure, but considering how cheap they are to run, not to mention that they heat, dehumidify etc and I think they're a no brainer personally.

This was my concern, I'm in a flat and couldn't have a unit in my office, but the unit in the living room and my bedroom will cool the whole flat by leaving all the internal doors open. Sure, the office is a little warmer than the two rooms with the units, but it's not much different.

The installer explained it that they literally force the warm air up and out. Missus had to go in the loft yesterday and wasn't happy about the heat up there at all after they'd been running all day.

I do find though running a couple of fans to help move the air round the house speeds the process up a bit.

Last edited:
30c in my room atm, wish I could justify proper AC but its not warm long enough :(
Mine will be used heating too and should be significantly cheaper than gas boiler + radiators. It's more efficient and you're able to control the temp of individual rooms with more consistency.

What are the maximum pipe runs you have on your units? I've been reading up but don't think I've managed to find a unit that'll allow runs greater than 15m and I could really do with getting to the loft which is 4 floors up from a potential compressor unit. I think an all-in-one solution would be the best bet?

What are the maximum pipe runs you have on your units? I've been reading up but don't think I've managed to find a unit that'll allow runs greater than 15m and I could really do with getting to the loft which is 4 floors up from a potential compressor unit. I think an all-in-one solution would be the best bet?

Last summer I bought a top spec portable unit from black & decker. It works, but it's bloody loud and is a nightmare to empty once the water tank is full. Besides its ugly as sin and only works with the pipe out the window and relies on the window covering which are crap. Considering the cost, it's only worth it if that's your only option.

Personally I'd phone a few installers and find out what they can do for you.

Pipe run will depend on the Manufacturer, Haier run up to 20m.

5kw can do 25m.

Thanks guys,

I have a portable unit now that vents into the eaves - it's not ideal for a number a reasons but the main one being one the eaves are roasting it just radiates back into the room...

25m might just cover my needs so I'll take a look. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom