Split Air con

The reality is absolute bliss also. Our neighbour 2 doors down often has a fire pit going in the back garden which can stink the house out. But with AC on, windows can stay sealed shut and blissfully cool inside.

On a side note, just looked up how much energy our two indoor units used in July, approx 73Kwh, with an average price of 18.2p/Kwh on Agile, that comes to approx £13.28 to run aircon through July. Which is seriously impressive. We have the bedroom on all night every night set to 18ºC, and on the hotter days we leave it on all day at 20ºC to stop it getting really hot in there. Then the Living Room one is on throughout nearly every day at 20ºC.

I mean we’ve only use 141kWh for the whole house this year, that’s with it on all night in the bedrooms and pumping out in my gaming room. Worth every penny. It’s a funny mentality we have in this country where we’ll pay for the comfort of heating, but it’s almost taboo to consider air con or the cost of keeping you cool. I am seeing an increasing number of houses install it though and like you say, it’s also great for a good night sleep, not only from the road noise, but also the birds that wake up early.

Thanks both. Those usage figures look great. I'm hoping to get all three bedrooms done - main bedroom is south facing with two windows so it gets warm all the time and faces the roads, spare room we tend to try clothes in a lot with a standalone dehumidifier so we could run the unit in there in DH mode a lot, and the study has both our PCs in, and is at the back of the house facing gardens etc.

I think it'll be a huge advantage. I actually don't like living where we are at the moment but I'm hoping this would really help block out most of my grievances. We're also on Agile so prices should be fine. 141kWh for the year so far is barely £30, which is nothing in the grand scheme of it; it's just the upfront cost which is the barrier.

How are you guys measuring usage? Is it built into the outdoor unit or something? I'm assuming the indoor units use very little electricity as to not need measuring (probably a 30W blower each)?

Thanks both. Those usage figures look great. I'm hoping to get all three bedrooms done - main bedroom is south facing with two windows so it gets warm all the time and faces the roads, spare room we tend to try clothes in a lot with a standalone dehumidifier so we could run the unit in there in DH mode a lot, and the study has both our PCs in, and is at the back of the house facing gardens etc.

I think it'll be a huge advantage. I actually don't like living where we are at the moment but I'm hoping this would really help block out most of my grievances. We're also on Agile so prices should be fine. 141kWh for the year so far is barely £30, which is nothing in the grand scheme of it; it's just the upfront cost which is the barrier.

How are you guys measuring usage? Is it built into the outdoor unit or something? I'm assuming the indoor units use very little electricity as to not need measuring (probably a 30W blower each)?

With Daikin we have an app that measures daily, weekly, monthly, yearly usage in comparison to last years use. Yes, the upfront cost is the barrier. 5 units along with wiring must have cost us about £15k by the end.

How are you guys measuring usage?

One of these, it's wired to the power to the outdoor unit, the indoor units feed power from the outdoor unit. It's also handy for power cycling the AC on the odd occasion when the wifi units decide to mess about. I also like it as it feeds data into Home Assistant. Can monitor live power usage too.

NcsScGU.png

I installed it at the beginning of Feb this year, have used 234Kwh since then. Which still really isn't a lot in the scheme of things with the amount we use it. The bedroom AC still gets used all through winter as my wife and I both love a cold bedroom.

I mean we’ve only use 141kWh for the whole house this year, that’s with it on all night in the bedrooms and pumping out in my gaming room. Worth every penny. It’s a funny mentality we have in this country where we’ll pay for the comfort of heating, but it’s almost taboo to consider air con or the cost of keeping you cool. I am seeing an increasing number of houses install it though and like you say, it’s also great for a good night sleep, not only from the road noise, but also the birds that wake up early.

Yeah still get many people giving the whole thing about "ah yeah I bet that's great for the 2 days a year you need it" also. Many people are surprised when I say we use it all year round. I think more people are coming around to the idea of it though.

When we move house again, having AC fitted will be up there on the top of the list to be fitted again, couldn't imagine being without it!

Had my AC Fitted today. Wow total game changer! Super happy with the result. It's so hot and humid outside, but a lovely 16c in my office with no humidity. Super happy, and regret not doing it sooner!

I'd be turning the heating on if it was 16c in my house!

Hi guys,

Can anyone advise if these "self install" kits are a false economy?

I can get an LG heatpump unit for £530 but it needs a pro to install:

On the flip side I can get a self-install unit for £680:

I'd prefer the LG but I am assuming I won't get install for £150?

Yeah it’ll cost more than that to install unless you know someone with some HVAC equipment.

I fitted a self install to my cabin. Was very easy and it works super well. It got my cabin down to 15°C in the heat yesterday (taking advantage of the cheap electric on Agile).

I got mine off eBay, it’s Airconditioning Centre branded with Panasonic compressor. I believe it’s getting harder to buy them now, a lot of places ask for an Fgas certificate.

Yeah it’ll cost more than that to install unless you know someone with some HVAC equipment.

I fitted a self install to my cabin. Was very easy and it works super well. It got my cabin down to 15°C in the heat yesterday (taking advantage of the cheap electric on Agile).

I got mine off eBay, it’s Airconditioning Centre branded with Panasonic compressor. I believe it’s getting harder to buy them now, a lot of places ask for an Fgas certificate.
Thanks - think I'll go that route then!

Highly recommend installing in the bedroom, lets just say there is a lot more happening in the bedroom since we have it running nice and cold ...... worth every penny :P

Anyone have any experience with some sort of ducted Aircon? With the way the house is shaped I'd quite like to have some sort of distribution in the loft with three vents, one in our bedroom, one the kids and one the landing to avoid having pipes all over or compressor etc on the front of the house. Or is it likely to be massively more expensive?

Anyone have any experience with some sort of ducted Aircon? With the way the house is shaped I'd quite like to have some sort of distribution in the loft with three vents, one in our bedroom, one the kids and one the landing to avoid having pipes all over or compressor etc on the front of the house. Or is it likely to be massively more expensive?

The ducting takes up a massive amount of space in the loft, to get individual room temperature control you need to invest in a motorised distribution box which costs a reasonable amount, you still need an external unit hung on the wall, you need a discharge and return vent in each room.

I was going to go for ducting but its just a pita, the main other option is an in ceiling cassette but they look too much like an office imho.

Last edited:

I also spent a lot of time considering it. On top of the above, lots of complaints about performance were seen and I also found that my loft hatch isn't big enough for the units to enter, so would need to make modifications there.

Ultimately, going for split units and getting a PIV unit to add in some fresh air is the better option.

I have a loft unit with ducting running to each of the bedrooms. Apart from the space it takes up i actually prefer them to the individual units as they can be too cold.

Back
Top Bottom