Split Air con

Permabanned
I had mine done about 3 weeks ago. They check everything is cooling and heating correctly, check the condense lines work ok and general cleaning of the units. I think it was £180 inc vat. Not cheap.
Way too expensive for what you can essentially do yourself. I mean if it’s not heating or cooling then you’re phoning for a repair surely.

Soldato
Effectively paying £180 per annum for your warranty to stay intact. It's all a con lol

Now if it was MOT prices like £30-50 I could swallow that tbh.
Yeh I thought exactly the same (even being quoted £120 per year)
I'll just pay a callout fee when it breaks and still probably be better off

Soldato
I had mine done about 3 weeks ago. They check everything is cooling and heating correctly, check the condense lines work ok and general cleaning of the units. I think it was £180 inc vat. Not cheap.

Is it a one off or you plan to have it serviced every year? I agree its very steep for a service.

Associate
Really wanted AC but the way energy prices are going it's putting me off a tad.
A modern multi split system with an inverter compressor just left ticking over on a low fan speed at night will drop it's consumption right down, to the region of 200w or so. They only draw the full power when you have them on max.

I've had mine on a couple of times already this year to get the bedroom comfortable. It's such a nice luxury to have.

Soldato
I didn't get a free service with mine. Must be quote specific.
I didn't get a free service with mine. Must be quote specific.
We always include a “free” years service. Industry standard afaik, worked for 5 different companies.
Exactly what I decided to do. If it costs too much I’ll just replace it. That’s the benefit of going for a cheaper diy unit.
Wrong. Long story short, running costs are far lower and COP is lower. Similar to the whole issue of getting a decent fridge freezer rather than the cheapest. Over the life time of the unit works out cheaper. Which, bbc etc all have multiple articles regarding this - even more so with the recent increase in price.

Cheap units like those gee units are absolutely garbage. They awful, you can’t get spare parts. Their electrics are rubbish. Their air diff are woeful while this on the face of it won’t mean anything to anyone wanting an A/C in a home office or what not. Having a unit that runs at a low COP and having the ability to give you an air off of 3-6°c on cooling or 45°c+ on heating (daikin, mitsi electric - not heavy) is far superior than a cheap unit or portable. Anyone itt can stick a thermometer on it can confirm. Gets to the required temp far quicker then can free roll, newer units will even cut the fan off on cooling to save energy.

Permabanned
We always include a “free” years service. Industry standard afaik, worked for 5 different companies.

Wrong. Long story short, running costs are far lower and COP is lower. Similar to the whole issue of getting a decent fridge freezer rather than the cheapest. Over the life time of the unit works out cheaper. Which, bbc etc all have multiple articles regarding this - even more so with the recent increase in price.

Cheap units like those gee units are absolutely garbage. They awful, you can’t get spare parts. Their electrics are rubbish. Their air diff are woeful while this on the face of it won’t mean anything to anyone wanting an A/C in a home office or what not. Having a unit that runs at a low COP and having the ability to give you an air off of 3-6°c on cooling or 45°c+ on heating (daikin, mitsi electric - not heavy) is far superior than a cheap unit or portable. Anyone itt can stick a thermometer on it can confirm. Gets to the required temp far quicker then can free roll, newer units will even cut the fan off on cooling to save energy.
No doubt but ours had been fantastic it only cost me just over £500 and it’s been faultless. I’m under no illusion that their is better on the market but I’m sorry I cannot justify the difference in price.

Soldato
No doubt but ours had been fantastic it only cost me just over £500 and it’s been faultless. I’m under no illusion that their is better on the market but I’m sorry I cannot justify the difference in price.

Exactly. You’re spot on when you look at it from an initial outlay And likewise you’re absolutely bang on when it comes to an economical repair down the line. Overall through the life time of the unit/system you’re costing yourself more money for a far inferior product. This will be further amplofifed when these latest increase comes in October.

Back
Top Bottom