Split Air con

Man of Honour
Decided to go with a local company. All Mitsubishi. 2 indoor units and one outdoor. £2700. Just waiting for a start date. Gonna be too late for this year I'm sure :cry::(

Peak demand in the summer, not only does everyone now want air con, but they’ll be fixing previous installed systems too.

Soldato
Yeah, my own fault. Should have pulled my finger out months ago. Hopefully I'll still get some use out of it in August/September.
I'm in the same boat, though the place I initially looked at have become very quiet. Waiting on information about the various units they do. May just be very busy though.
Need to find somewhere else to get a quote as well.

Soldato
Decided to go with a local company. All Mitsubishi. 2 indoor units and one outdoor. £2700. Just waiting for a start date. Gonna be too late for this year I'm sure :cry::(

Same as what I paid, just Fujitsu units instead. Seems a reasonable price I think.

Guys that fitted mine said I was lucky as they're stacked up through summer now.

Soldato
One company I spoke to said it’s about 5% cheaper getting it fitted in the winter, but the equipment prices are going up in September and December this year, so any savings will be nullified. They could also be talking out of their **** but it makes sense.

Soldato
Just had a quote from SubCool FM, who were recommended to me on the forum. Chap that visited was great and very knowledgable, but their quote was £650 more than a local company for exactly the same equipment. I was expecting a bit more, but £650 is a lot!

Could be down to the material used as well. Pumps, lagging, trunking, switches etc

I.e £5 foot v £50 foot Or £50 bracket V £10

Two similar but very different products. Do the same job.

Associate
I have to say I have been lucky as I two systems one a pregassed electricq system I think it’s called and the other a Mitsubishi heavy industries one professionally fitted….and the units have coped very well today been on 18 all day with no issues, in fairness they are mounted up stairs and have cooled the whole of the upstairs down and the hall way and into the lounge not bad for 4 bed detached.

I’m shocked at the water that comes off the system I have to say been collecting it to water plants at night.

Soldato
I have to say I have been lucky as I two systems one a pregassed electricq system I think it’s called and the other a Mitsubishi heavy industries one professionally fitted….and the units have coped very well today been on 18 all day with no issues, in fairness they are mounted up stairs and have cooled the whole of the upstairs down and the hall way and into the lounge not bad for 4 bed detached.

I've been debating unit placement for whenever I get AC for our house, similar 4 bed detached home. Do you mean you have 2 units both upstairs in bedrooms or how's your setup exactly? What sort of placement do you have for the 2 units?

I was thinking of going with 2 units... 1 unit for our master bedroom, then another downstairs placed at rear of home in an open plan area (kitchen/dining/lounge area)... I'd hope the air would circulate around the whole house well enough to cool our 2 kids bedrooms and our front living room would be nice. But then I presume it depends on how powerful kW unit you buy as well.

Advice from anyone at all be helpful :D

Associate
I have 2 units upstairs in the biggest bedrooms one being mine and the other being my teenage sons.

Personally I think another one in my converted office downstairs which was the dining room would circulate the air quiet well leaving all doors open

I wish I had gone for bigger BTU units now but this weather is hotter than we have ever had and they still handle it well it’s just me being someone that likes to over spec stuff

Associate
Hi all.

I know this is not split air con but has anyone tried these units for individual rooms?

Due to the layout of our house and needing one unit for each bedroom in a split system it could become costly.

one of the above units i linked in each room seems to be the answer but I can find to much info on their effectiveness. it seems to good to be true with such a small footprint and central wifi/app management and only needing to drill a couple of holes to the outside.

Man of Honour
Hi all.

I know this is not split air con but has anyone tried these units for individual rooms?

Due to the layout of our house and needing one unit for each bedroom in a split system it could become costly.

one of the above units i linked in each room seems to be the answer but I can find to much info on their effectiveness. it seems to good to be true with such a small footprint and central wifi/app management and only needing to drill a couple of holes to the outside.

Hi,

Yes I have one of those (different make/model but same type) as I didn't have the wall space for split AC. It works well and is a little less noisy than a portable AC unit but not much. Drilling the holes is some effort being 4" but is doable. Certainly better than a portable AC unit. I found externally you could hear the exhaust wind noise a bit particularly later in the evening, so swapped out the vents for baffled ones which helped a bit, so just be aware in case its pointed close to a neighbours window or anything like that. During the day you can hardly hear it though on lowest setting. I guess if its on the ground floor you could fence the vents off a bit or have a shrub in front etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

Yes I have one of those (different make/model but same type) as I didn't have the wall space for split AC. It works well and is a little less noisy than a portable AC unit but not much. Drilling the holes is some effort being 4" but is doable. Certainly better than a portable AC unit. I found externally you could hear the exhaust wind noise a bit particularly later in the evening, so swapped out the vents for baffled ones which helped a bit, so just be aware in case its pointed close to a neighbours window or anything like that. During the day you can hardly hear it though on lowest setting. I guess if its on the ground floor you could fence the vents off a bit or have a shrub in front etc.
Thank you for that. dont think sound will be an issue given the neighbours has no windows on that side of the house.

if you dont mind me asking what type of room is it in? planning on sticking them in two small double size bedrooms. would the noise levels inside keep you awake?

Soldato
Thank you for that. dont think sound will be an issue given the neighbours has no windows on that side of the house.

if you dont mind me asking what type of room is it in? planning on sticking them in two small double size bedrooms. would the noise levels inside keep you awake?
To me it just looks like a "high end" portable, except you lose the portability by attaching it to a wall and drilling vents.

The portable ones are very noisy, I doubt I would be able to sleep in a room with one in it and as Duke said these are almost the same level of noise.
they will be more efficient though I guess with it being vented to outside.

personally I wouldn't bother though.

Soldato
To me it just looks like a "high end" portable, except you lose the portability by attaching it to a wall and drilling vents.

The portable ones are very noisy, I doubt I would be able to sleep in a room with one in it and as Duke said these are almost the same level of noise.
they will be more efficient though I guess with it being vented to outside.

personally I wouldn't bother though.

Depends how hot it is, we slept with our portable one in the bedroom last night on its lowest settings. It's amazing what you can sleep through when you're tired enough :p

Associate
I've been debating unit placement for whenever I get AC for our house, similar 4 bed detached home. Do you mean you have 2 units both upstairs in bedrooms or how's your setup exactly? What sort of placement do you have for the 2 units?

I was thinking of going with 2 units... 1 unit for our master bedroom, then another downstairs placed at rear of home in an open plan area (kitchen/dining/lounge area)... I'd hope the air would circulate around the whole house well enough to cool our 2 kids bedrooms and our front living room would be nice. But then I presume it depends on how powerful kW unit you buy as well.

That's pretty much the setup I have - 2x12000btu units, in master bedroom and 'downstairs area'. It does keep the overall house nice - you walk through the front door today & think 'nice'. as an example my kids in separate bedrooms are currently sleeping fine with the doors left open. But it won't pull the entire place down to 20 degrees in this weather. More like an average of say 24. Extremity rooms like my office are still creeping up to 26 or so when the sun comes round.

Caporegime

Hot air rises, cold air sinks.

Whilst airflow between rooms is not amazing, having two 12,000 BTU units upstairs makes a good effort of cooling the whole house down. We have a large galleried landing, which probably helps.

Biggest mistake I made two years ago was not getting a larger outdoor unit which could have taken an additional 2 / 3 indoor units in the future.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It’s for days like this that we made sure to have sufficient capacity. 9000 BTU per room, 45000 across the entire house.

My gaming room is pumping out the heat, but the rest seem sat on fan 1 or 2 out of about 5.

Man of Honour

No worries :) Its in my second bedroom (office room) which is tiny. I'm not sure I could sleep with it on although the one I got may not be the quietest, it was one of the cheaper units as I had to go for a narrower one for the space it had to fit in. That said you could cool the room and then turn it off / set timer on it. I leave the doors upstairs open and it does cool the other rooms slightly and also the temperature downstairs doesn't raise as quickly when its on so helps with that too. Its certainly more efficient than portables where you have all the heat of the ducting still being in the room itself and have to flaff around with piping/windows, so if you're going to get something the I'd suggest this over those any day.

Any other questions just shout :)

Back
Top Bottom