[SPOILERS]England vs Bulgaria - Euro 2012 Qualifying

Caporegime
Agreed, drop back the bloke who score 34 goals last season from playing on the shoulder of the CB.

In fact, I think you should put a bet on him being WPoTY as an attacking midfielder.

Go on, stick a monkey on it.

he plays better there or do you disagree? he has scored 34 once and averages 20, if he does it again this season it will prove himself as a striker, otherwise CAM may be a better position for him as he would probably get about 20 goals (a la his average) and set up many more than what he normally does.

Permabanned
he plays better there or do you disagree? he has scored 34 once and averages 20, if he does it again this season it will prove himself as a striker, otherwise CAM may be a better position for him as he would probably get about 20 goals (a la his average) and set up many more than what he normally does.

You really don't watch much football do you?

Rooney had a good game yesterday dropping deeper, he does that a helluva lot, watch MU when they are on the back foot, he drops deep every single time.

That doesn't mean that all of a sudden he should become an attacking midfielder, Rooney is a striker first and foremost, when he's 28/29 and he's lost his pace then yeah maybe.

Caporegime
You really don't watch much football do you?

Rooney had a good game yesterday dropping deeper, he does that a helluva lot, watch MU when they are on the back foot, he drops deep every single time.

That doesn't mean that all of a sudden he should become an attacking midfielder, Rooney is a striker first and foremost, when he's 28/29 and he's lost his pace then yeah maybe.

thats what im saying, he plays better when he's deeper. its like lucas at liverpool, he plays better when he goes forward, therefore i reckon he should become a centre mid or a CAM in order to get the best out of him, but they have gerrard for that so he will stay as a CDM.

just because hes a striker now, doesnt mean he should not be changed position, messi has played right wing, left wing, CAM, striker, right forward. he's that good that he plays best in a free role, maybe rooney needs a similar sort of role in order to get the best out of him, because hes a workhorse.

he did play well yesterday and hopefully his form stays with him, but as you say he played deep and set up most of the goals, therefore it may warrant the idea of a slight change in position, im not saying play him as a defensive mid. a CAM can change the game completely with passing and movement and is still a forward role.

Permabanned
I'll put it in simple terms for you then.

Rooney is a better striker than he is attacking midfielder.

When he is older and has lost his pace then yes maybe he can move back and do a job but to do that now would be detrimental.

We're not playing FM here Sonny.

Caporegime
I'll put it in simple terms for you then.

Rooney is a better striker than he is attacking midfielder.

When he is older and has lost his pace then yes maybe he can move back and do a job but to do that now would be detrimental.

We're not playing FM here Sonny.

AF has played him as a left mid with ronaldo up front, why?

Permabanned
AF has played him as a left mid with ronaldo up front, why?

**** me do you really need to ask that?

If you watched instead of reading Wiki, you would remember that they all switched positions, Ronald, Rooney and Tevez all switched throughout the games.

Caporegime
Gerrard played a lot deeper than usual but you'd have to know what you were talking about to realise that I suppose.

I was only joking hence the wink. You have to ask why against a pub team we needed to play so many players so deep again. Why was Gerrard playing so deep, why was Rooney?

The only decent player Bulgaria had has retired.

Why can theo walcott get a game when I can't?

Man of Honour
People are forgetting the Rooney was asked to play in that position.

In the first half you could here Capello screaming at him to drop back when he was up front.

So lets all **** Rooney off for not scoring again and for dropping too deep, when that's exactly what was asked of him to play in front of the 2 CM's.

Exactly, I said that during the game.

Fergie tells him to stay up in the box, Capello told him to drop deep like he used to do naturally (and still does to a certain degree).

Rooney was playing in Gerrard's position, and Defoe was playing in Rooney's position :p

Soldato
I can't believe people are actually suggesting Rooney should play as an attacking midfielder for United, bonkers. Fergie would have to be even more nuts than you lot to drop a striker who scored 34 goals the previous season into midfield. The only reason he doesn't have the same goal scoring form for England is because, as Gimp said, Capello often asks him to play deeper. Last night you could actually hear Capello on the touchline screaming at him to drop back.

I'd also argue that United play a more effective and faster passing game and get crosses in the box more regularly and more accurately than England manage, which is another reason why Rooney is more often on the score sheet for United than England.

Soldato
Not a bad night, was sat right above the dugout.

Atmosphere was a bit mixed, wasn't until the second goal went in that the England supporters found their voices. Up to that point, the large pocket of Bulgarian support were putting us to shame a bit.

I think the scoreline flattered England. They were good, but Bulgaria were abysmal. Rooney was given acres in between their defence and midfield to do whatever he wanted, and they were often caught well out of position (second goal).

Decent result, but feet need to be kept firmly on the ground.

Caporegime
Rooney's best work was just in front of their 18 yard box last night. He offers England nothing by dropping deep and only gets in the way of players like Gerrard and Lampard which actually hampers the way we play.

hm the issue was that NONE of the central midfielders wanted to pick the ball up from defence so rooney had to run back go behind them and get the ball to distribute himself.

its the scholes/xavi thing where they constantly want the ball from the back 4 turn, make a pass and set a move going. none of our mids seemed at all interested in doing this preferring to turn their backs and run up the pitch - 3nd half rooney got so peeved with it he just went back and did it himself.

he wasnt getting in anyones way because they were all stood the wrong side of the half way line anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom