[SPOILERS]England vs Bulgaria - Euro 2012 Qualifying

Soldato
gutted for dawson aswell, looked quite nasty. his positioning for england is often suspect at times though. he panics too much it would seem

Caporegime
What did people think of Rooney? considering he's at least the 21st best forward in the world.

I thought he had a good game, but it should have been Gerrard in the position he was in and Rooney should have been further up. Those ball should be coming from Gerrard not Rooney. I hate seeing Rooney so deep.

Especially against a team of Bulgarias quality.

Soldato
Rooney, Defoe, Ashley Cole & Gerrard all had very good games.

What people need to realise is that players are still aren't 100% sharp yet. Despite his 3 assists Rooney still didn't look 100% to me. That will only change with hard work and persistence. Oh and maybe support from the fans. I guess its the fashionable thing though to be picking up on every single aspect of Rooneys game at the moment though

Permabanned
People are forgetting the Rooney was asked to play in that position.

In the first half you could here Capello screaming at him to drop back when he was up front.

So lets all **** Rooney off for not scoring again and for dropping too deep, when that's exactly what was asked of him to play in front of the 2 CM's.

Man of Honour
OP
I didn't think Rooney was effective in the first half. He looked like a passenger for long stretches. Full backs looked good but Dawson was suspect. Barry wasn't particularly good but gerrard was marginally better. Milner and Defoe looked good, Walcott was really poor, young looked promising and Adam Johnson needs more game time now.

Caporegime

In the first half you could here Capello screaming at him to drop back when he was up front.

So lets all **** Rooney off for not scoring again and for dropping too deep, when that's exactly what was asked of him to play in front of the 2 CM's.

I'm not slagging him off for it, he played well. He was filling a role I thought we would eventually see Gerrard play especially as Lampard was injured. Against this class of opposition it wouldn't have hurt to let Rooney get further up and get a goal.

I just hate seeing our best goal threat playing so deep. What worries me is Capello will now have us playing like that time and time again as it will work in the qualifiers against teams that wouldn't even get to a tournament.

I'd rather **** of gerrard who yet again did little, despite not having the guy who brings his game down playing and against a poor midfield. ;)

Caporegime

Yep, but do you think that's where he should be playing? I'm not quite sure why Capello insists on him dropping deep, but it's hard to say it's the wrong thing to do after a good win.

Permabanned
I'm not slagging him off for it, he played well. He was filling a role I thought we would eventually see Gerrard play especially as Lampard was injured. Against this class of opposition it wouldn't have hurt to let Rooney get further up and get a goal.

I just hate seeing our best goal threat playing so deep. What worries me is Capello will now have us playing like that time and time again as it will work in the qualifiers against teams that wouldn't even get to a tournament.

I'd rather **** of gerrard who yet again did little, despite not having the guy who brings his game down playing and against a poor midfield. ;)

I do too, he should be playing as the second striker.

He's just bloody good wherever he plays and this is always to his detriment, Fergie shifted him onto the left when Ronaldo and Tevez were here and he suffered for it but you never hear him complain he just goes out and does the job, what ****'s me off is when you get people coming out and moaning about him for not scoring and the "Who does Rooney think he is, an AM LoL!!!" When it's all to do with where he's asked to play.

You could play him a RB and he would be 100X better than Johnson who's played there all his life.

I thought he played well last night but still doesn't look 100% but then with Rooney you never really can tell because he puts his heart and soul into it.

Yep, but do you think that's where he should be playing? I'm not quite sure why Capello insists on him dropping deep, but it's hard to say it's the wrong thing to do after a good win.

No I don't see above, he played there yesterday because I thought Capello was weary of getting a kick in the balls by Bulgaria so he asked him to drop deep to link up play which is what he did with aplomb.

I thought Gerrard did well in actually sitting in the midfield and keeping the ball moving which is what he should be doing, when we need someone to link up play you ask Rooney to do it. drop deep and do it better than Gerrard ever has for England.

Caporegime
Rooney's best work was just in front of their 18 yard box last night. He offers England nothing by dropping deep and only gets in the way of players like Gerrard and Lampard which actually hampers the way we play.

Caporegime
i think rooney should just become a centre attacking mid, man utd would then need no one.

------- Berbatov --------

Nani - Rooney - Valencia

Carrick ----- Fletcher

Evra - Vidic - Rio - Whoever their best RB is

----VDS----

as everyone states he brings a lot to the team and is an on/off scorer, so maybe this would be a much better position for him and would see berbatov's performances improve

Permabanned
There's no reason why Berbatov and Rooney can't better the partnership Berbatov had with Keane. They had a telepathic understanding, took turns being the second striker and it worked brilliantly.

Permabanned
i think rooney should just become a centre attacking mid, man utd would then need no one.

------- Berbatov --------

Nani - Rooney - Valencia

Carrick ----- Fletcher

Evra - Vidic - Rio - Whoever their best RB is

----VDS----

as everyone states he brings a lot to the team and is an on/off scorer, so maybe this would be a much better position for him and would see berbatov's performances improve

Agreed, drop back the bloke who score 34 goals last season from playing on the shoulder of the CB.

In fact, I think you should put a bet on him being WPoTY as an attacking midfielder.

Go on, stick a monkey on it.

Back
Top Bottom