**SPOILERS** The Football League Cup 2010/2011 Final

Soldato
I don't get why some Arsenal fans care so much.... it's the carling friggin cup, merely the warm up for the F.A cup, which is still not that important for any of the big clubs unless you randomly get to the final, only then does it become important.

If you're playing champs league week in week out and fighting for the Prem, why would you even care...

let the kids all get a run out... instead you have van persie picking up injuries before the important barca game. Very clever.

:rolleyes:

I can tell you now, I wish Man Utd had been there yesterday, given how their season has gone Chelsea would have loved to have been there and Liverpool likewise

It's a cup final, there's a trophy at stake. Only an idiot wouldn't want their team to be there and to lift it

Man of Honour
It's like winning the community shield or the world club championship or the super cup or the football olympics or the Scottish prem league... no-one cares.

I think you'll find people do care. Butthurt people who are upset claim not to care, when infact they actually do :)

Soldato
He does have a bit of a point, I didn't care about the CC up until about an hour before the final, when I saw Wembley etc.

The FA and CC just don't compare to the CL at all as a cup competition, so hard to get up for games vs Leyton Orient and Ipswich where our second XI will do just enough to get by, after I've just seen one of the best games of my life vs Barca and I'm waiting for the next.

Soldato
He does have a bit of a point, I didn't care about the CC up until about an hour before the final, when I saw Wembley etc.

BS, you're telling me that since you beat Ipswich you haven't cared that it was more than likely that your 6 year trophy drought was to end?

Speaking only for myself I personally hold the Carling Cup in higher esteem than the FA Cup these days, as you said come the end of the season what's more important the big games that decide the title race, the champions league semi finals and final or the FA Cup?

Whereas the Carling Cup being the first trophy that's available can give the team that vital lift going into the important games of the season. Not only that but the competition as a whole gives the bigger clubs a chance to play their younger players something I really enjoy seeing being a United fan.

It's the same old same old, the losing teams fans always say the same thing every year. You can guarantee had Arsenal won yesterday their players would have been celebrating like they'd just won the world cup

Soldato
Hm, the idea that the idiots would stop going on about 5 years no trophy lolol! was quite enticing, but I can honestly say I didn't really care for the CC, nor do I really care for the FA Cup and we're still in it. Would rather not have to watch the game on Weds, it'll just be as dull as most CC/FA cup games.

It's only a consequence of the games being so dull that I find the tournaments so dull, that's partly due to Arsene putting out weaker sides who rarely gel on the day, and poor opposition who can't really play. It's just nothing on the CL imo. The feeling is very different. Don't think I posted about the Final at all over the last few weeks, just didn't care loads, say compared to the first Barca game where it's all I was thinking about

Fairly sure most fans would have told you pre game it's by far the least important cup, it's not something we've made up today.

I think the way Arsenal and Wenger has treated the cup recently has just removed some of the feeling out of it. It's been a bit of a joke tournament for a while, we often see 16/17/18 year olds who've never played before running out, just because we got to the final one year doesn't make it number 1 priority

Last edited:
Soldato
I cared because we got to the final and on paper had a great chance of winning, however to put it in perspective, to get to final involved 5 games, one of which was a replay, and the cup threw up some strange results, like West Ham leathering United.

Soldato
I don't get why some Arsenal fans care so much.... it's the carling friggin cup, merely the warm up for the F.A cup, which is still not that important for any of the big clubs unless you randomly get to the final, only then does it become important.

If you're playing champs league week in week out and fighting for the Prem, why would you even care...

let the kids all get a run out... instead you have van persie picking up injuries before the important barca game. Very clever.

Because it was their best chance at winning a trophy this season

All due respect to Arsenal:

1) CL - away to Barca, I think most would agree that Barca are likely to score a number of goals at home (to anyone, not just Arsenal) - but can Arsenal score enough away to knock them out?

2) FA Cup - Even if they win the replay, they then have an away game at OT (much harder to call than 1 without doubt, but over the last few years Man Utd has won majority reasonably easily)

3) EPL - Still very tight between the top two, but Arsenal cant afford to slip up at all in the remaining 10 games (allowing for an Arsenal win against Utd at The Emirates) - given the amount of games, all the teams still to play - very tough call indeed to say either way

edit - Personally always thought FA Cup was more important than the CC , from a historical point of view and from being a Utd fan and what happened regarding Utd 12 seasons ago (and the fact that Utd havent won it for seemingly ages). Ive always thought it much easier to win the CC, due to its games mainly being played at the beginning of the season / when CL isnt being played. To be able to fight for CL, FA and EPL simultaniously at the latter stages of all (ie April/May) shows that the squad and club are doing ok.

Winning The Treble will always be special - and to me that will always be the FA Cup and not the CC. Any treble is good, but The Treble will always be FA, CL and EPL - knock any of those out and win the CC instead will always make it a lot easier.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just nothing on the CL imo. The feeling is very different. Don't think I posted about the Final at all over the last few weeks, just didn't care loads, say compared to the first Barca game where it's all I was thinking about

I guess it depends on the European fixture, a Carling Cup final to me is much more excitng and anticipated then a drab 0-0 in Marseille

I can't really get excited about the Champions League until the the team plays someone decent

Soldato
Maybe I'm just spoilt from us getting Barca so early and already having our best game of the season only half way through. Nothing will compare to that game besides a CL final or winning the league, everything (football wise) has felt hugely underwhelming since then, so it could well be that

Soldato
I guess it depends on the European fixture, a Carling Cup final to me is much more excitng and anticipated then a drab 0-0 in Marseille

I can't really get excited about the Champions League until the the team plays someone decent

Bit of a wierd comparison if you ask me

Any final is naturally going to be more exciting than the first of a two-legged tie in the last 16 :)

Soldato
Bit of a wierd comparison if you ask me

Any final is naturally going to be more exciting than the first of a two-legged tie in the last 16 :)

We didn't ask you! :p

Let me put it another way then, I find any Carling Cup tie (involving united obviously) more exciting/anticipated than an away tie in Europe against a pretty average team like Marseille or Bursapor

Last edited:
Soldato
People should respect our domestic cup competitions more IMO.

I can only remember the Spurs/Blackburn and Bolton/Boro CC finals in recent years as those that didn't involve at least one of the Sky 4 - that's shows how much the big clubs take the Carling Cup seriously. Odd that the fans claim not to not do so likewise :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Maybe I'm just spoilt from us getting Barca so early and already having our best game of the season only half way through. Nothing will compare to that game besides a CL final or winning the league, everything (football wise) has felt hugely underwhelming since then, so it could well be that

That's the thing, in recent years we've sadly only had one amazing game/victory a year. You could almost write the script after we beat Barca. Go back over that time and there's always one memorable match. Would rather have been holed by Barca in the middle of a competition rather than in a final. Urgh.

Soldato
Was there some kind of football match yesterday?

Weird. You'd have thought I'd have been aware of it. Must have been a friendly or something.

LalalalalaNOTLISTENINGlalalalala.

Caporegime
Was there some kind of football match yesterday?

Weird. You'd have thought I'd have been aware of it. Must have been a friendly or something.

LalalalalaNOTLISTENINGlalalalala.

:D lol yes was a training match we lost...no big deal other than it could have meant we would have had one trophy at least this season....oh well nevermind theres always next year isnt there lads??:p

Back
Top Bottom