***Official Squad Thread***

Soldato
OP
logo.png

Welcome to the March edition of the Wrench! Once again we have some exciting developments in the world of modding. To start off the article, as many of you may know the community made map Al-Basrah has been added to the game! The map, created by ChanceBrahh, with help from Axton, Assifuah, and Stom, was released last week with much praise from the community. If you haven't yet, be sure to hop into a server yourself and experience the truly different gameplay that it offers.

middle_separator.png

North African WWII assets by James Mainwaring
Resident Modder Baby James has been working on some WW2 era creations, and he plans to make more. So far they're looking great, and we can't wait to see what he makes next!

middle_separator.png

Dolina by TheRed
Dolina will present some tactical quandaries. Vehicles will be a must, at 4x4km. It's a combined arms map that provides an array of strategically valuable points to contest in a large, open and varied environment. From rolling hills of farmland and forestry to lush plains and wet marshland, this is a sparsely populated rural area, defined by the confluence of two rivers that cut a swathe through the terrain.
There will be both AAS and INS versions.

middle_separator.png

Sarau by Noxxid3
Inspired by Kashan Desert from Project Reality which was originally created by Duckhunt, Sarau is an 8km2 map focused on combined arms combat. The centerpiece of the map is a large military facility in the Sarau Desert. The facility itself offers medium to close quarters engagements for infantry. You can expect most of the vehicle combat to play out in the wide, open desert and oil fields around the military facility which offer medium to long range engagements.

middle_separator.png

Karasu by Drecks
Drecks has been working on an Eastern European map inspired by Gorodok. So far it includes some small villages, an abandoned base, and numerous other objectives all set in a rural, hilly environment.

middle_separator.png

A-10 by Axton
Axton has continued his blueprint experiments, this time with an A-10 Gunrun called in by a squadlead. Check it out:

middle_separator.png

Landscape Assets DanielNL
DanielNL has updated his 3D assets such as gas tanks, green houses and barns which will be a great addition to maps. He has presented us with some Sketchfab links that give you an interactive view of his assets which are shaping up to look great.
Green houses 3D Preview
Barn 3D Preview

middle_separator.png

Really some amazing developments going on with Squad as well as in the community, we hope you are enjoying these reads as much as we are enjoying collecting and presenting them to you. If you want to be a part of next month's recap, simply tell us what you are doing with this submission form.
Squad Modding Hub Management Team Out.
Join the Discussion >>

Soldato
OP
Some of the explosion and incoming/distant firing effects are pretty nice but not really that impressed by the rest seems a tad clunky and very hit and miss graphically and in mechanics.
Sacrifices have to be made for the (eventual) 100 player servers and unlimited draw distances.

What things do you consider "clunky"? If it's animation issues then just hold on for v10 and beyond :)

As for these "PTSD trigger" comments...I don't believe them for a second.

I believe that some of the bullet snaps were samples from my own and other team members video from Afghanistan. They are certainly a step up from the earlier versions.

Permabanned
Is the player count the reason for the low quality textures ? Or are there plans to update the textures ? For example the building textures at al basrah and on the desert maps are really basic. are the maps currently in the game considered "complete" in terms of how good they will look graphically or are there plans to visually improve things like textures etc ?

I feel like the graphics despite being basic are good enough though... the explosions are friggin amazing. I just think higher quality textures would go a long way to improving the overall look, better gun textures would also help. But perhaps it's just not possible with the 100 player count in mind ?

Soldato
OP
Like I said, certain sacrifices have to be made in the looks department. Ground textures will be getting a rework in the future. Al Basrah and the majority of the buildings it uses were made by modders so the textures aren't going to be quite up to normal standards.

It's very much a case of game-play over graphics :)

Soldato
Xcept1, is anyone still working on Al Basrah to give more cover when crossing the central and eastern bridges from Ins base?

I joined a server earlier where the US had taken all cap points bar the eastern island, and while they took that, they had squads covering both bridges and shooting anyone (or vehicle) trying to cross them. The only way out of base would have been the far west, but it is a poor design when you literally have to travel several km around to get to a cap point.
Because there is no cover on the bridges, and no way to go through the water it was like a turkey shoot and we just gave up.

Soldato
Xcept1, is anyone still working on Al Basrah to give more cover when crossing the central and eastern bridges from Ins base?

I joined a server earlier where the US had taken all cap points bar the eastern island, and while they took that, they had squads covering both bridges and shooting anyone (or vehicle) trying to cross them. The only way out of base would have been the far west, but it is a poor design when you literally have to travel several km around to get to a cap point.
Because there is no cover on the bridges, and no way to go through the water it was like a turkey shoot and we just gave up.
All i can say about that is, the insurgents should not have lost all the cap points, so like in real battles, when you loose all points, its meant to be hard(almost impossible) to gain them back, so a loss(being pinned down) at base is going to happen.

Soldato
All i can say about that is, the insurgents should not have lost all the cap points, so like in real battles, when you loose all points, its meant to be hard(almost impossible) to gain them back, so a loss(being pinned down) at base is going to happen.

OK but if it was the other way and the US had lost all cap points, they are not limited in the direction they can leave their main base, and IIRC, there is at least some cover to be able to reach the outskirts of town with minimal tall overwatch buildings like there are in the south east.
Also, the distances between the south east cap points to Ins base, compared to the north west caps to US base are not the same, so where the US can easily overwatch the Ins base, it is much harder for Ins to overwatch the US base.

Also, I have had games before where my team have been down to the last cap point and still managed to fight my way back somewhat on other maps by moving strategically out of spawn into flanking positions, even if we still lost in the end. This wasn't just "almost impossible", it was impossible and IMHO needs to be looked into.

Soldato
OP
It happened on Al Basrah in PR too. If you've lost all flags as the insurgent team then you've probably lost the match anyway. That being said, we're always working on maps and "balancing" them as much as we can :)

Soldato
Some of the explosion and incoming/distant firing effects are pretty nice but not really that impressed by the rest seems a tad clunky and very hit and miss graphically and in mechanics.

It's an alpha so it's not polished. The gameplay and teamwork/comms in this game however are leaps and bounds ahead of any of the battlefield titles which is what brings me back time and time again.

Associate
Melbo,

Has duel screen be disabled or something? I swear (Now i am questioning myself) that i used to be able to move to my second screen in the menu's and when i was in game after hitting escape, it seems to me that its locked to one screen now and i need to alt/tab all the time? I am certain it was not like this before, was it? :)

Back
Top Bottom