Squid Game

Soldato
About #2

The old guy wasn't padlocked to the rope like the others were. There's a long pan shot down the players and his padlocks are missing.

How did I miss this, I need to go back and check myself.

typo!

I meant to type mother not brother!. Fair point on Ali. It killed me when Sang-woo conned him though. :(

Sang-woo was dead to me as soon as I knew he was doing the dirty over Ali, though I was never all too keen on him to begin with.

My biggest question after watching it all was why/how the cop's brother became the leader/game master type role.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How did I miss this, I need to go back and check myself.

Sang-woo was dead to me as soon as I knew he was doing the dirty over Ali, though I was never all too keen on him to begin with.

My biggest question after watching it all was why/how the cop's brother became the

His story didn't make any sense anyway as he was going to prison regardless if he won. I don't think even that 27 million would have bailed him out but I guess that explained how he was.

Soldato
About #2

The old guy wasn't padlocked to the rope like the others were. There's a long pan shot down the players and his padlocks are missing.

I had to check this and unless I’m blind, he was chained up like the rest as well as padlocks..? Can you screenshot where he’s not got them on?

Soldato
So I'm watching this a 2nd time, this time with the wife as normally she would not even consider something like this, but as its all the rage she wants to see it. I've managed to avoid telling her I've seen it already so that's good.

What I am finding are loads of things I noticed 1st time round that potentially had more involvement latet on. I'll spoiler tag what I mean....

The cops boiler suit button, camera focuses on it a few times in episode 3 yet I don't recall it being picked up in later episodes.

The second one being the NORTH Korea chick going up in to the vents and then leaving the screw loose after she comes back down again I don't recall it having any other significance later on

I'll update with any more I find

Soldato
Noticed both of the above points but afaik it didn't mean anything in the end. The zoom on the suit was very obvious but never amounted to anything, which I did find odd.

On the whole I thought the show was superb. Really did enjoy it.

Soldato
The first one I believe was to identify the guy among the other guys.

In practice I thought it was a waste of time, gee, I wonder if the guy the camera is focused on is our guy...

Soldato
Finished it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Later shows got really sad. I really felt for the guy who got conned out of his marbles and even the old man when our hero took advantage of him (I hadnt twigged the twist at that point). I found the marble game the most vicious as natural friend would have buddied up (or husband and wife in one case). So that was cruel.

I do have a few questions though.

1. Why did nobody ever invoke another vote? I know they all came back once after realising how **** it was in the real world but when so many people were teamed up to killing friends/family in the marble game I thought that would have prompted a vote even if the majority voted to continue.
2. Although the old guy obviously said a trigger word during the fight and knew he could win green light,red light and knew he wouldn't get shot in the marble game, he didnt have any real control over whether he would die during the sugar game or the tug of war. Okay he could make it easier on himself like with the tips he gave on the tug of war but even with that they would have lost if that other guy hadnt come up with the 3 steps forward trick. Speaking of which they were all talking so loud the other team would have heard exactly what they were going to do and stopped themselves falling over.
3. No idea why the cops brother had become the leader. Made no sense and the timeline seemed off unless they have these games every week? Never really got explained.
4. I am sure when the cop was going through the records it showed there had been many contests (at least 15) but I am sure that for one contest there had been multiple winners who I presume shared the winnings between them. Had the game organisers made it harder so that fewer people could win? It certainly seemed like they introduced new games every contest as the VIPS hadnt seen the glass bridge before.
5. I originally thought every guard had a chip installed, hence the scanners but the cop got scanned fine so it was built into the mask?
6. What happened to all the previous winners? Wouldnt people notice so many new millionaires appearing out of nowhere?
7. I thought the winning hero would have tracked down the pakistani's family as well and the NK woman's mother.
8. ANd it didnt ring true that he would abandon flying to see his daughter at the end to get himself involved with the contest again. Afterall that was the main reason he went into it in the first place.

[/spolier]

My take on #2

At the end when Gi-hun went to see the old man and he told him he was pretty much dying, i got the impression he said he only entered the games for a bit of fun (he clearly didn't need the money). So if he died during the games, then he was OK with that. It was more the thrill/adrenaline he was after rather than the fear of dying.

Caporegime
Writing poor, acting terrible. Can't believe I actually watched it all the way through. I'll be giving the next half dozen or so series a miss anyway. For sure they're going to milk this one.

Fantastic writing and great acting (except for the VIPS, they were awful but were the only english speaking people anyway)

I hope you watched it subtitled and not dubbed?

Caporegime
My take on #2

At the end when Gi-hun went to see the old man and he told him he was pretty much dying, i got the impression he said he only entered the games for a bit of fun (he clearly didn't need the money). So if he died during the games, then he was OK with that. It was more the thrill/adrenaline he was after rather than the fear of dying.

surely the thrill/adrenalin only comes from the risk of dying? No point if you know the guard isnt going to shoot you like everybody else when you fail a task

Back
Top Bottom