Squid Game

Soldato
I didn't even know there was a different version. Does it make that much of a difference then?

You can choose what audio you want in Netflix, yes.

I find dubbing in any foreign film can make it quite poor, mainly because the voice actors can't get the right emotional inflection in the voice to correspond to the scene and also it bugs me when the voice and mouth movements don't match up!

But if you intrinsicly didn't like the show, I wouldn't have thought it would change your mind that much!

Soldato
You can choose what audio you want in Netflix, yes.

I find dubbing in any foreign film can make it quite poor, mainly because the voice actors can't get the right emotional inflection in the voice to correspond to the scene and also it bugs me when the voice and mouth movements don't match up!

But if you intrinsicly didn't like the show, I wouldn't have thought it would change your mind that much!

I watched it dubbed and thought it was fine. Netflix has been very good regarding dubbing as of late, i have watched plenty of Asian language movies and anime on Netflix and honestly thought that the dubbing has been better than most/all dubbing i have seen ever seen. The days of monotone delivery in dubbing has not happened for a long time in my opinion. Yes, the original language with subs is probably best but as a more accessible form English dubs are not that bad.

Associate
It's not too bad if you commit to it (dubbed). But switching either way part way through a season is a bit of a head-spin for me.

For me, starting with the original dialogue and sticking with it, as long as it suits the way you watch stuff, makes more sense. If you try the English dub half way through it sounds twice as bad as if you'd started with it in the first place.

Of course, if english isn't your first language or reading just isn't possible in your watching environment, you do you :thumbups:

Soldato
I watched it dubbed and thought it was fine. Netflix has been very good regarding dubbing as of late, i have watched plenty of Asian language movies and anime on Netflix and honestly thought that the dubbing has been better than most/all dubbing i have seen ever seen. The days of monotone delivery in dubbing has not happened for a long time in my opinion. Yes, the original language with subs is probably best but as a more accessible form English dubs are not that bad.

That's fair enough as it's probably been decades since I've watched anything dubbed so I'm definitely thinking how it used to be :)

Soldato
Finished it yesterday, quite enjoyable but a but slow in places. Found the dubbing very corny but entertaining. The VIP bit was predictable and they copied Hostel there a bit but it was ok.

Soldato
I think it's impossible to judge someone's acting ability if they've been dubbed over. I'd almost go as far as saying you're watching a different show to what's intended.

I watched the whole thing with subtitles, like any foreign film and at least that way you get the full range of emotion in someone's voice. Regardless of language.

It's a shame a lot of people avoid anything with subs.

Soldato
I didn't even know there was a different version. Does it make that much of a difference then?

It makes a massive difference. For me anyways. The difference between a big fat nope (and this applies to any dubbing, but particularly when it's poor dubbing) vs worth a shot. You pretty much take acting ability out the equasion, which means you care less about what's going on, with dubbing.

I enjoyed Squid Game a great deal for what it's worth. At times a little ott performance wise (still less theatrical than most Korean stuff I've watched) but overal tense, fun stuff with some good characters. I particularly liked the protagonist and just the whole weird vibe of the show.

Soldato
Quite glad I watched this in the first week or two of release where there was no real buzz, knew little about it and was drawn in organically without feeling no need to watch due to 'hype'. I can totally understand folks being a bit 'oh, is that it' with the massive interest and press coverage around this in the last month.

I can't honestly put my finger on what caused so much hype around it.

Capodecina
Soldato
This is a good example of how hype can ruin things by building up expectations.

Both myself and my wife knew nothing about it and had only heard of it because a couple of people I know on Twitch recommended it.

We both thought it was excellent. I've watched a lot of Korean cinema over the last 20 years and I thought this was up there with some of the best.

Caporegime
Well after watching this Netflix suggested I watched Alice in Borderland. OMG so much better than Squid Games (which i enjoyed) and I ended up binge watching the entire season in one weekend.

Soldato
Well after watching this Netflix suggested I watched Alice in Borderland. OMG so much better than Squid Games (which i enjoyed) and I ended up binge watching the entire season in one weekend.

Yeah, it starts off very well but i found in the last few eps its devolved into lord of the flies and some plot points were a bit incomprehensible. Still enjoyed it though.

Man of Honour
Netflix has been very good regarding dubbing as of late, i have watched plenty of Asian language movies and anime on Netflix and honestly thought that the dubbing has been better than most/all dubbing i have seen ever seen. The days of monotone delivery in dubbing has not happened for a long time in my opinion.

People get very snobby about it hah.

There are still plenty of movies and shows where the dubbing is of poor quality but some of the better Netflix attempts have been very good - where they've actually taken the time to place the audio properly into the scene in terms of positioning and what is going on, etc. choose translations which match the lip movement as closely as possible* as well as the voice actors reproducing the emotions, etc. of most of the actors well - though you still get some smaller parts where it isn't the same quality LOL.

* Occasionally it is amusing in that the subtitles (seemingly done via Google translate), dub and an actual translation are wildly different though.

EDIT: The original subtitles and dubbing efforts on Money Heist was hilarious as well - they've reworked the subtitles on Netflix now though. They literally seemed to have translated the original language to a 3rd language before translating it back to English, using Google translate both ways, for both subtitles and dubbing - so much was lost in translation or just plain inappropriate it was amusing but horrible trying to watch it.

Last edited:
Associate

Hugely. The dubbing is absolutely awful, and it completely takes away the great performances from some of the Korean actors. I was ready to turn it off for good after 2 episodes but then found the subtitles (weeks ago before news stories were coming out about the bad English dubbing).

It would be interesting to know if those here that said the acting is bad were all watching the dubbed version.

Caporegime
People get very snobby about it hah.

There are still plenty of movies and shows where the dubbing is of poor quality but some of the better Netflix attempts have been very good - where they've actually taken the time to place the audio properly into the scene in terms of positioning and what is going on, etc. choose translations which match the lip movement as closely as possible* as well as the voice actors reproducing the emotions, etc. of most of the actors well - though you still get some smaller parts where it isn't the same quality LOL.

* Occasionally it is amusing in that the subtitles (seemingly done via Google translate), dub and an actual translation are wildly different though.

EDIT: The original subtitles and dubbing efforts on Money Heist was hilarious as well - they've reworked the subtitles on Netflix now though. They literally seemed to have translated the original language to a 3rd language before translating it back to English, using Google translate both ways, for both subtitles and dubbing - so much was lost in translation or just plain inappropriate it was amusing but horrible trying to watch it.

I have seen on youtube videos by korean speaking people who say the whole tone of what is being said is changed with the dubbing esp with the annoying gangster woman.

Things like she says "get back" on dub whereas she actually says "why are you all leaving me?" apparently. So I suspect we lose a lot of the original intent from the script.

Back
Top Bottom