Squid Game

Soldato
Pretty sure it's real. It completely ruins the series, unless the viewer is only watching it to see who dies.

I'm not surprised people are criticising the acting as 'awful' if they're watching it like that, it's hilariously bad.

I'm still not entirely sure I believe that's really the genuine dub, I might have to go and look on Netflix later :p

Caporegime
I'm not surprised people are criticising the acting as 'awful' if they're watching it like that, it's hilariously bad.

I'm still not entirely sure I believe that's really the genuine dub, I might have to go and look on Netflix later :p

yep which is what I said earlier in this thread when people who had watched the dubbed version felt the acting was awful.

Entire lines were totally changed from the original and the dub acting was awful.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ali calls Sang-wu “sir” on the English dub, but in Korean he’s actually calling him “boss”. Entirely different context.

There’s other examples too, and I say that as someone that watched the dub :p

Associate
subtitles werent much better apparently. They changed a lot of sentences to something totally different

https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/squid-game-subtitles-translation-english-korean/

Read a bit further down that page. She was talking about the "English CC" subtitiles. In that, the Korean > English translation is taken from the dub track but also subtitles the English spoken lines as well. The "English" option under subtitles has the better Korean > English translation, but doesn't subtitle the English spoken lines for people with a hearing impairment.

Caporegime
Read a bit further down that page. She was talking about the "English CC" subtitiles. In that, the Korean > English translation is taken from the dub track but also subtitles the English spoken lines as well. The "English" option under subtitles has the better Korean > English translation, but doesn't subtitle the English spoken lines for people with a hearing impairment.

Ah so those subtitles match the dubbed speech then? Makes sense as to how awful the dubbing was.

Capodecina
Soldato
That's the actual dubbing. If you want some real entertainment switch on the subtitles as well, and compare them both.

I'm absolutely shocked.

Now I know why people were complaining about the acting.

I watched it with subtitles and thought the acting was great. That English voice acting is atrocious.

Soldato
Caporegime
subtitles werent much better apparently. They changed a lot of sentences to something totally different

Most of the criticism I've seen seems to come from people who don't seem to understand how translation works. I have no idea how accurate the subtitling is, but the job of a translator isn't to word-for-word translate the text but to choose words and idioms that work best in the target language within the constraints of the display. Subtitles are usually more faithful than dubs because dubbed translations need to match not only the sense but also something close to the timing of the original speech, whereas subtitles just have to be short enough to read comfortably in time.

One example was that the literal translation was "boss" whereas the subtitle used "sir". Well, okay, but using the word "boss" like that carries very different connotations in the English-speaking world's low formality culture and in Korea's high formality culture so the word "sir" sounds more natural and better expresses the intent. Another example is the word "babe" which was apparently literally translated as "older brother", you call someone you're boinking "older brother" in English and it sounds ultra-creepy. I'm assuming - contextually - that it doesn't have that same connotation in Korean.

Caporegime
Most of the criticism I've seen seems to come from people who don't seem to understand how translation works. I have no idea how accurate the subtitling is, but the job of a translator isn't to word-for-word translate the text but to choose words and idioms that work best in the target language within the constraints of the display. Subtitles are usually more faithful than dubs because dubbed translations need to match not only the sense but also something close to the timing of the original speech, whereas subtitles just have to be short enough to read comfortably in time.

One example was that the literal translation was "boss" whereas the subtitle used "sir". Well, okay, but using the word "boss" like that carries very different connotations in the English-speaking world's low formality culture and in Korea's high formality culture so the word "sir" sounds more natural and better expresses the intent. Another example is the word "babe" which was apparently literally translated as "older brother", you call someone you're boinking "older brother" in English and it sounds ultra-creepy. I'm assuming - contextually - that it doesn't have that same connotation in Korean.

Fair comments but how do you get from the Korean "What are you looking at?" to "Go away" in the dubbed and English CC?

Or "I am very smart but I just never got a chance to study" to "I'm not a genius but I can work it out," for Han Mi-nyeo character? Apparently in the original Korean it makes a big thing about how the poor dont get the opportunity to study like the rich but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't intelligent. That's totally lost in the Dub and CC subtitles and you lose a lot of what that character is about.

Apparently a lot of the swearing was removed as well.

Netflix said they dubbed the film so that the words would more closely match the characters lips so it makes a better viewing experience rather than a better translation. The CC are just subtitles of the dubbed speech.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair comments but how do you get from the Korean "What are you looking at?" to "Go away" in the dubbed and English CC?

I would say those carry similar sense. They're both "bog off", aren't they?

Or "I am very smart but I just never got a chance to study" to "I'm not a genius but I can work it out," for Han Mi-nyeo character? Apparently in the original Korean it makes a big thing about how the poor dont get the opportunity to study like the rich but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't intelligent. That's totally lost in the Dub and CC subtitles and you lose a lot of what that character is about.

This seems worse.

Apparently a lot of the swearing was removed as well.

It did feel oddly bowdlerised for something with so much graphic violence.

Caporegime
I'm absolutely shocked.

Now I know why people were complaining about the acting.

I watched it with subtitles and thought the acting was great. That English voice acting is atrocious.
the dubbing is hilarious.

they try to capture the emotion that they think the actor is portraying it seems purely based on the facial expressions.

which obviously makes no sense when your language is completely different sounds.

I guess they thought for a younger audience it's better than the more classic weirdly serious dubbing that is almost deadpan in delivery

Most of the criticism I've seen seems to come from people who don't seem to understand how translation works. I have no idea how accurate the subtitling is, but the job of a translator isn't to word-for-word translate the text but to choose words and idioms that work best in the target language within the constraints of the display
when you learn a language from my experience you don't learn literal translations either but just the meaning of the sentence which can seem completely different in English but with the same meaning.

I found it annoying as hell tbh,it's like having to learn a language twice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

In the English dub, that crazy bint calls the gangster “old man”. What she’s actually calling him is “daddy”. Another very different meaning considering their relationship and bathroom antics.

Associate
Just finished Alice in Borderlands S1. Maybe the death games genre just isn't for me. At least in Squid Game it feels grounded in reality and you can just about see it working. Was fun although had seen most of it before in Kaiji.

I have no desire to watch more AiB as there were too many unanswered questions. The games are just games, they're just background to the plot and character development - and that moved too slowly for me.

In AiB there's no real progress, you end the season thinking, well, we've no idea how or why everyone disappeared or who is benefiting from the games.

For both shows though, I don't think their season 2 will go anywhere that won't annoy me. At least for AiB I can read the synopsis of the next two seasons so I don't have to watch it :D

EDIT
****. I thought there were 3 existing seasons of AiB I could spoil by jumping ahead. Not the case.

Back
Top Bottom