SSD Prices - Not looking great

Associate
Some places the prices have sky rocketed. Probably will spread as rumours are they have capped supply.

July '23 - I bought a 2TB Crucial P3 £79

Same drive today now £146

Last edited:
Soldato
Some places the prices have sky rocketed. Probably will spread as rumours are they have capped supply.

July '23 - I bought a 2TB Crucial P3 £79

Same drive today now £146
Only about 10 days ago there was a deal on for the 2TB Crucial P3 for £85 And the 4TB version for £159 (This deal only lasted for about 5 days)

I missed out on this deal myself as i was going back & forward for to long on if i should buy one or not :(

Last edited:
Associate
I'm crying over that 4tb deal (I was dithering as usual, due to it being PCIE3 not 4) as it's gone up by £90 since last week.

Also GURU3D reporting this morning that SSD prices in the next quarter are going to increase by a further 15% https://www.guru3d.com/story/anticipated-increase-in-ssd-prices-for-q2-2024/

Since that article was published this morning Hilbert has published a further report that component prices could rise by a further 25% due to today's earthquake in Taiwan similar to the price increases after the 1999 quake.

I also suspect drives are being stockpiled, limiting supply in readiness for the release of the PS5 Pro in a few months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Similar boat for me. Was looking at a P3 or P3 plus 4tb on black friday for about 190 euros, settled for a Samsung 980 pro 2tb for 110 instead. Figured I would buy some 4tb drives in a few months when prices dropped even more, and the opposite happened! I don't really follow SSD tech much so had assumed 8tb drives would come out and 4tb would drop.

In January/February 4tb p3/p5 Crucial drives were already well over 220 euros and steadily climbing. Today it's 350!

Anyway, in February I found some drives that seemed to be too good to be true on a second hand platform. The platform offered enough buyer protection for me to take an expensive punt and I bought 3 x 4tb WD SN850X for 460 euros. Unboxed, but 0 hours usage etc. He even put the serial numbers in the photos of the sale so I checked them online and they were legit. The 3 drives are still chugging along day without any issues. This week he has started to put more for sale, and he sent me a message asking if I want more.

So, would you buy 3 more for 460 euros (I will haggle him down to 400 easily!!!)? The 4 he put for sale in the last 2 days have already sold for 180 each, but I know he has more. I don't need the storage till the end of this year tbh, but could the prices of brand new gen 4 drives go down to 150ish by the end of this year? Either by way of more supply or the arrival of 8TB drives?

Can I post the advert here? It's the spanish equivalent of Loot, and you can't ship to UK etc.

rp2000

Soldato
Is there a "shift" towards NVME over that of SSD, where at some point not in the too distant future reduced numbers of SATA ports etc will appear on certain boards..?

Last edited:
Associate
Was looking to upgrade the drive with my steam games on but With these quoted prices, will be sticking with my 3.5 HDD for a while yet.

Man of Honour
Is there a "shift" towards NVME over that of SSD, where at some point not in the too distant future reduced numbers of SATA ports etc will appear on certain boards..?
It already has happened, even high-end boards often only have 4 SATA ports now and some low end boards have just 2 SATA ports! :o

Last edited:
Caporegime

4 for 500 euros. so 125 each. Are we realistically going to see something like that before 2025?

Edit: Mods, delete if inappropriate, but it's a Spanish site and they only ship within Spain, so I think it's within the rules.

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate

I've been looking for a new (used!) mobo for a little Unraid server and it seems there are already fewer SATA ports on boards. Getting one with 6 is almost impossible, 4 is the standard high now.

Associate
I'm just glad I grabbed another 2TB SATA SSD drive last Black Friday sale and plugged it into my secondary rig for fast network storage until I properly upgrade the NAS later this year. Grabbed 2TB because I already have another 2TB and so they can both be paired up into a RAID setup if desired later down the line to saturate the 10g network.

Felt grabbing a 4TB or NVME drive was premature given I didn't know when my secondary rig or the NAS was going to get upgraded. And anything out when I do upgrade might be different and thus wasted purchase.

But defintely glad I did grab what I did whilst it was cheap.

Man of Honour
I've been looking for a new (used!) mobo for a little Unraid server and it seems there are already fewer SATA ports on boards. Getting one with 6 is almost impossible, 4 is the standard high now.
FYI: if you haven't seen them, you might want to look at these spreadsheets (you can find them for most older sockets too, this is for AM5):

Soldato
Yeah, I look at my Gigabyte Z690 board with six SATA ports and four for NVME and wondered if the move towards NVME and less SATA was happening.
Heck, it did not seem that long ago that there was relevance for a case to have both 5.25 and 3.25 inch drive spaces, with lots of bays.....Now, for some cases, we just have space instead.

Associate
FYI: if you haven't seen them, you might want to look at these spreadsheets (you can find them for most older sockets too, this is for AM5):

Oh blimey, that's really helpful. Thank you!

Yeah, I look at my Gigabyte Z690 board with six SATA ports and four for NVME and wondered if the move towards NVME and less SATA was happening.
Heck, it did not seem that long ago that there was relevance for a case to have both 5.25 and 3.25 inch drive spaces, with lots of bays.....Now, for some cases, we just have space instead.

If all else fails, there are the below now. Not sure I'm quite ready to trust them, but reports are good

Man of Honour
Yeah, there's quite a few that only have 2.5 now :o Not a big fan really, since it is nice to at least have the option of carrying over an old drive, though I suppose there are USB caddys for most things.

You did well to get 6!
So, would you buy 3 more for 460 euros (I will haggle him down to 400 easily!!!)? The 4 he put for sale in the last 2 days have already sold for 180 each, but I know he has more. I don't need the storage till the end of this year tbh, but could the prices of brand new gen 4 drives go down to 150ish by the end of this year? Either by way of more supply or the arrival of 8TB drives?
They are 4TB SN850X? Assuming they are legit drives, I doubt you'll get any better.

I wouldn't expect 4TB drives to drop much, since they have already nearly lost their premium, so I'd say their price is tied to that of the other drives, more than to their capacity.

If we have a dramatic increase in flash density then everything can shift up a tier (i.e. 2TB at 1TB price), which I suppose has happened for some lower-tier drives already, but since other costs are increasing, I doubt that this would have a big impact on prices any time soon.

Caporegime
They are 4TB SN850X? Assuming they are legit drives, I doubt you'll get any better.

I wouldn't expect 4TB drives to drop much, since they have already nearly lost their premium, so I'd say their price is tied to that of the other drives, more than to their capacity.

If we have a dramatic increase in flash density then everything can shift up a tier (i.e. 2TB at 1TB price), which I suppose has happened for some lower-tier drives already, but since other costs are increasing, I doubt that this would have a big impact on prices any time soon.

Thanks.

100% genuine. Here is the stats for the 3 I bought already, all 3 are in PCIe card adaptors in the same PC that is on relatively 24/7. The stats were all 0 when I bought and tested them in mid February and the seller has sold 44 drives in total!

I don't know why one of them is reporting really low power on hours, maybe due to some power saving modes? But they work fine and I have written a fair bit of data to them and run benchmarks. Temps never go above 50c even when doing 100-200GB sustained writes between the drives. Beyond that I dont know enough (or care) to test them much more! I guess I could fill one of them to full capacity to be sure. One of them is currently 50% full and the others closer to 25%.
aH8jOPw.png

rp2000

Last edited:
Man of Honour
100% genuine. Here is the stats for the 3 I bought already, all 3 are in PCIe card adaptors in the same PC that is on relatively 24/7. I don't know why one of them is reporting really low power on hours, maybe due to some power saving modes? But they work fine and I have written a fair bit of data to them and run benchmarks. Temps never go above 50c even when doing 100-200GB sustained writes between the drives. Beyond that I dont know enough (or care) to test them much more! I guess I could fill one of them to full capacity to be sure. One of them is currently 50% full and the others closer to 25%.

rp2000
Yeah, NVME drives power off on the default settings, I have a couple with super low power on even though they're pretty old.

The old way of checking was to google the firmware version, since everything else can be faked and this exposed the controller that was actually used on the drive, but I don't know if that is still considered reliable.

Back
Top Bottom