St. Patricks Day vs St. Georges Day - in England

Caporegime
St Georges is one of those cultural artefacts that hasn't been bastardised by the capital virus though it has to be said that keeping something relevant (even if through a vice like drug abuse) does keep it alive to a degree but how long before it's lost any meaning at all? Using something that is inherently negative and malignant to maintain a religious holiday is something that I think describes a dying (stagnant) culture rather than a vitalised one (not that St Georges day being even less relevant is a great sign either).

Soldato
It's because England is crap and the Celtic nations are better is one view

IMG20240318212244.jpg

Soldato
It would have to be - Cornwall is about as Celtic as Blackpool. They all vote Tory FFS lol. Christ even in the council elections Mebyon Kernow are humiliated.

I do wish people would stop talking rubbish about Cornwall - it's a bit childish.
Depends who you mean by "they" tbh as half of the people who are ****** off with the rat race come here for a better life.
Maybe the peppe who have made a bundle in Fulham and come to Polzeath or bring their pension lump sums are this "they"
On the hole there does seem to be more passion for Cornwall by People who live here than passion for England, nearly every village has it's traditional like obby oss , Bolster day , carnivals ect ect St Pirrans day is a very big thing here .
I wish people wouldn't bundle millions of people together and just call them they though.
It's a bit childish

Edit footnote/ it's amazing how many people from up country pretend they live here by sticking a Kernow sticker on the car think this says a lot

Last edited:
Soldato
Patrick born somewhere in Britain and George from somewhere around Turkey

Patrick the patron Saint if Ireland from about the 6th or 7th century, George maybe about the 14th (?)

Let's face it, none of it makes any sense.
George is not even a real saint he's been demoted, un-sainted by the RC church its just a retelling of the greek Perseus and the gorgon myth

Cornwall as a separate nation :cry:
Used to be till about two centuries ago its been eroded by general english-ness in wales 150 years ago the majority were welsh speakers today its less than a quarter and there are no monoglots its all part of a cultural erosion process

Caporegime
Because the St Georges cross is a symbol of racism and Crusaders.
Im quite sickened that you would even consider celebrating genocide and religious intolerance.

:p
I'm sure Patrick was an upstanding fellow that never did anything untoward with his once pagan flock.

Soldato
It’s not racist to be patriotic but the most visible English patriots also seem to be quite racist which is unhelpful.

St Patrick’s Day has undoubtedly been helped by being co-opted by a lot of people around the world and was never really a nationalist day. It’s more of a chance for people to cling to what little Irish identity they have and have a laugh.

Soldato
I am sure that the French are equally as patriotic as we Brits if you scratch the surface. And it is not racist to be patriotic. Loving one is not hating another.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would we celebrate it? Should we look at every other country's celebrations and then immediately require an English equivalent? Most countries have a saint, not just England and Ireland. And St George himself is the patron saint of many places other than England. Why don't they celebrate St George's day?

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s a product of a terrible legacy of what “being English” stands for and reminds most non English people of.

Like it or not but celebrating being English is not a great look to most of the rest of the world. Very few other countries look upon their history with the English with any level of fondness. They always see a former opponent or oppressor from the old Empire days.

There’s no such stigma attached to being Irish.

Let me put it this way, think of how English people view the French in general. Now multiply that contempt considerably and that is how many people view the English.

Obviously this is an overgeneralised view and not about individuals but about national identities in general.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact that the Irish gets a bank holiday and time off for St Patrick and the English don’t for St George’s day doesn’t help.

If the British government wants people to become more patriotic, that would be a good start.. we get less public holidays than most other countries.

If we had the day off then we may have the time to celebrate it, wrestle it back from the idea that it’s racist and overtime it can become a tradition where we can get drunk. Heck it may even become an income with people flying in to celebrate it and the government can claw back the money from it not being a working day.

Soldato
It’s a product of a terrible legacy of what “being English” stands for and reminds most non English people of.

Like it or not but celebrating being English is not a great look to most of the rest of the world. Very few other countries look upon their history with the English with any level of fondness. They always see a former opponent or oppressor from the old Empire days.

There’s no such stigma attached to being Irish.

Let me put it this way, think of how English people view the French in general. Now multiply that contempt considerably and that is how many people view the English.

Obviously this is an overgeneralised view and not about individuals but about national identities in general.
Can confirm, the only time feel and kind of English patriotism is when we give the French a good kicking in some sporting event. Otherwise I couldn't give a stuff.

Back
Top Bottom