1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stand Your Ground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muon, Jul 22, 2018.

1. wolfie138

Mobster

so i guess you advocate people being able to bully someone w/ a disability who can't even the playing field physically?

2. Moley

Mobster

Nice strawman you've built there.

3. wolfie138

Mobster

nice misuse of the term.

4. shorttricky

Wise Guy

And Drejka has previous history for waving a gun around at people who have committed traffic violations in his presence. And has been cited for causing a crash by brake-checking. Maybe he's not sweet innocent old man that you'd like to present?

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/florida-stand-your-ground-previous-incidents/index.html

Bingo.

5. dowie

Caporegime

Update, the trial begins now:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/19/us/stand-your-ground-florida-trial/index.html

6. JunglistE

Mobster

America is really a crazy place, Florida even more so. Last time I stayed with some relatives in America and said I wanted to go to Miami for a week they basically refused to let me go.

7. Nasher

Capodecina

One thing you dont do is attack someone in an argument, especially in the US. You just end up looking like a ***** no matter what the outcome.

I saw an incident (in the UK) between 2 guys I know. One was winding the other up, but the other guy doesnt understand banter. So he went for him in responce, got his leg broken. Had to go to hospital and have metal rods put in his leg. Self defence, GG.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  8. BowdonUK

Mobster

As soon as someone escalates it in to physical violence then they open the gates for retaliation.

9. Jean-F

Wise Guy

They ‘refused’ to let you go?
    Not sure how that works, unless you were a 12 y.o., visiting grandpa and grandma.
    My younger German grandson visited us in Rotherhithe for a few days a few years ago, he was 18 then, and wanted to go to see a band playing in Hoxton, north London, I dropped him over there, told him to use his head, and gave him £50 to get something to eat and drink, and told him to only use a Black Cab to get back to our place.

10. Freakbro

Capodecina

That doesn't seem to be true

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-psychology-result-could-be-completely-wrong/

11. JunglistE

Mobster

I was a guest in my family's house and they let me use their house as a hub for 8 weeks whilst I was out there. I was 23 at the time and while refuse is a strong word they had a lot of concerns about me going to Miami for a week by myself. I've been to Florida before several times on a family holiday but I fancied mincing around by myself for a few days. But seeing as they felt pretty concerned about my safety I figured it would be rather rude and disrespectful to still go.

They had no issue with me going to Connecticut, New York and Kansas for a week each and I spent my remaining time in Georgia which is where they lived. To be fair, I had family in the other states I was going, hence my visiting, so they may well have had the same concerns about me going to any other state with no family.

12. BowdonUK

Mobster

I remember being in Columbus, Ohio at night with some American friends. We were looking for some place to eat. We pulled in to one parking area and I noticed all the shops had chain locks on. Apparently this is normal in some places and you have to ring a bell to be let it by the shop. Anyway, I'm sat in the car and notice an old style American car parked in the corner. So I say "hey look at that car over there" and lift my arm to point in its direction. My arm was immediately grabbed and pulled down. I was told don't do that as it looks like you're pointing a gun.

If someone knocks me to the ground then I'm using anything within reach to defend myself.

We seem to live in a world now were an aggressor will cause a problem for someone, and when they person retaliates the aggressor thinks s/he as been wronged. Twisted morals. If you don't want to be hit, don't hit others.

13. Jean-F

Wise Guy

Thanks for explaining it all, I wasn’t having a dig with my post, but when you said that your American family basically refused to let you go to Miami by yourself, it sounded strange to my ears.
    Stranger still now that you say that you were 23 at the time.
    I can imagine a family being concerned for a visiting relative’s well being, and counselling someone to be careful on Chicago’s South side, Little Haiti, or Liberty City, both in Miami, South Los Angeles around Watts, or north of 125th St in New York City, but I think that I may have ignored anyone who said, “No, I refuse to let you go there on your own.”
    I’d have appreciated their advice, but in the final analysis, if I wanted to go, I’d go.

14. JunglistE

Mobster

All good, didn't take it as you having a dig. If I hadn't have been before I probably would've been more inclined to go but I've been quite a few times on family holidays so I didn't feel like I was missing out on much. Cheap flights happened to pop up which is why I even considered it, it wasn't a planned part of my trip.

So yeah it wasn't a case of "you're absolutely forbidden to go" and more of a "We'd rather you not go there by yourself as it can be dangerous". You only need to search 'Florida man' to know that those guys are different down on that little peninsula. Really, in hindsight Miama by myself for a week would have been super boring anyway!

15. ScoTTyBEEE

Wise Guy

16. Freakbro

Capodecina

Good

17. Dis86

Capodecina

All because some fat bint couldn't park in the correct place. Tragic.

18. Minstadave

Caporegime

Sensible result, surprisingly sensible for the US.

19. dowie

Caporegime

He alleged previous threat towards someone parking in the disabled spot probably didn't help here. The whole thing was dodgy in itself, the guy was no longer attacking him at the time he pulled the gun and quite clearly once he'd pulled the gun the guy was going to back down immediately - no need to actually shoot.

I wonder if it will get appealed though, some NRA types won't be happy and I wonder if the various concealed carry instructors etc.. will have to re-think whatever they're training people too - clearly the local police thought he was within the law, it was only after a media storm and state prosecutors took a look at it that he was charged.

20. Dis86

Capodecina

Your final point is the salient one there I believe. How much of the decision was politicised?