Standard of driving in the UK going downhill.

Soldato
That sounds like a terrible way to drive. You'll be giving way to everyone, stopping for every pedestrian that wants to cross the road, slowing down at every junction.

I drive assuming everyone does what they are supposed to do and very assertively leaving little room for ambiguity. Driving in London for 10+ years, hasn't failed me yet.

You misunderstand what defensive means - imagine a rugby team or our armed services and their defences; you stand your ground or position. It doesn't mean allowing everyone to walk all over you or submission. As Rroff says you can be assertive as well as defensive.

I've driven in London many times, by far the worst driving I've ever seen was in Greenford during the morning rush hour - mega queue jumping, barging in, driving on pavements, ignoring traffic lights.

Another gem I remember - the only thing an indicator light indicates is that the bulb works.

Soldato
Today, I was driving down a road of shops etc. There was a lorry delivering something big for one of them. Out came a driver out of the driveway to a nursery, indicating left but he turned right. I had to swing into a tight spot behind lorry. I beeped at driver who told me to foxtrot oscar! Charming.

Ever since I had the wheel arch bodywork fixed, I’m paranoid that some toot will damage my car again.

Soldato
Today, I was driving down a road of shops etc. There was a lorry delivering something big for one of them. Out came a driver out of the driveway to a nursery, indicating left but he turned right. I had to swing into a tight spot behind lorry. I beeped at driver who told me to foxtrot oscar! Charming.

Ever since I had the wheel arch bodywork fixed, I’m paranoid that some toot will damage my car again.
Ahh that's the standard of most people with young kids (apart from me:p). My wife dropped my daughter at brownies once and some nob smashed his door onto her car, enough to make the car shake and then just walked off (I was going in the car as I would have been shouting abuse). I had told her this guy was a danger before hand (you get a sixth sense for these things). Sorry if I've previously posted this:cry:.

Soldato

Try driving a bus. This is par for the course.

But they forget a couple of things:

1. It's not my vehicle
2. I don't pay the insurance or repair bills
3. It's 10+ton vs your 1.5ton

Soldato
You say that, but when you go out of your way to park at the far end of the carpark with tens of spaces around you and you come back to find someone parked not only next to you (still tens of other spaces available) but they parked so close to your car you can barley get back in, it is kind of annoying....

Soldato
You say that, but when you go out of your way to park at the far end of the carpark with tens of spaces around you and you come back to find someone parked not only next to you (still tens of other spaces available) but they parked so close to your car you can barley get back in, it is kind of annoying....

Absolutely +1

You've gone out your way to avoid being parked next to for a valid reason.

Soldato
The thing is, while you have a logical reason (avoiding the word valid there)... It's also very visible. I'm sure there's a number of people who enjoy trolling those other drivers, and park right next to them on purpose.

I love parking my tiny car all the way into a space so people get excited about finding a spot til they get close. It's the same thrill :D

Man of Honour
It’s never been so bad. Right of way ignored, red lights ignored, people sat in outer lanes on an empty road doing nowhere near the limit. Some crackhead was shocked when I beeped him for cutting me off going from their exit into my lane on a roundabout - common sense would dictate their lane was obviously the wrong one.

My car was driven into in a car park ages ago. I’ve even had people slam their door into it while I’m sat there.

Soldato
I love parking my tiny car all the way into a space so people get excited about finding a spot til they get close. It's the same thrill :D

To be fair that’s entirely logical as well, less chance of another car scalding your front as they pull out. I always reverse back as far as I can in a space for that reason.

Man of Honour

With my pickup I find that all the time :( I generally try and find a bigger out the way bay an almost inevitably find someone has parked right up next to me despite a dozen other empty bays :(

Seeing more and more people jumping red lights lately :( 3 out of the last 4 nights I've had someone jump the same cross-roads and it isn't like there isn't a glaringly obvious reason why they have traffic lights for safety reasons...

Soldato

That is annoying but clever every time i see that. Although i wonder why put your car right in rather than space it equally so its got plenty of space all around?

Soldato
That is annoying but clever every time i see that. Although i wonder why put your car right in rather than space it equally so its got plenty of space all around?
TBF it's a very short car (Smart Fortwo) so it's easy to keep some space at the front. I think sides are most at risk in parking lots anyway.

Soldato
TBF it's a very short car (Smart Fortwo) so it's easy to keep some space at the front. I think sides are most at risk in parking lots anyway.

My partner loves the little smart car, however it wouldn't work for the us + 2 kids as well as shopping. Must be a right laugh driving it around town though :D although motorways must be interesting...

Man of Honour
You just have to facepalm sometimes:

I had a similar one today - the driver of the vehicle immediately in front of me was nice and tried to position to let me past but I couldn't move on because the vehicle behind them blocked me clearing them - took them awhile to cotton on for some reason though props to them for trying to be considerate.

Soldato
To be fair I park in those spaces for the extra walk, nothing to do with not being parked near.

Always do this when parking at a large supermarket or retail park. I bet those idiots who fight over the nearest 20 spaces - I bet I win the race of parking up and walking to the shop over them struggling to find a space near enough, park and walk.

Noticed those who park the nearest spaces are usually young people.

Soldato
Always do this when parking at a large supermarket or retail park. I bet those idiots who fight over the nearest 20 spaces - I bet I win the race of parking up and walking to the shop over them struggling to find a space near enough, park and walk.

Noticed those who park the nearest spaces are usually young people.
Aka lazy entitled people:cry:. Does annoy me as a parent with young kids when someone with no kids parks in parent and child space.

Back
Top Bottom