Standing Desks - Cheap Ones worth it?

Only thing is the desktop comes as 2 halves that you put together, so you get a line through the desk where it joins together.

you could just purchase the frame and then slap whatever table top you like.

I already have a wooden worktop i made myself for my current desk from old scaffolding boards so that's not an issue, although it's a shame as when i looked online one of those bad pidgin english pictures, suggested the Flexispot one was a single piece.

Have ordered one anyway now. Should be here Saturday.

I actually use a Yoga ball as my chair, have done for around 6 weeks as my old chair fell apart and i thought i'd try it. I actually really enjoy it, but was reading about the potential issues of using one for the full day. Being able to switch between yoga ball and standing should work well.

When i eventually get my home office back i might add a chair for some more comfort based stuff, but i'm currently dumped on the landing with little space.

I have a Fellowes Corsivo desk converter at work and a cheaper one at home. The Fellowes one is more stable but I think all the ones that have the scissor mechanism towards the middle with a keyboard/mouse ledge may disappoint if you are going to lean on it.

I use a small prop with the one at home but I also spend most of my time gaming while standing now. Takes a while to get used to but eventually it becomes more natural and I'm just as comfortable standing all the time now.

Now I've got used to using a sit/stand setup I am thinking that a full desk would be the best solution long term.

We've all got the manual IKEA Trotten desks at work, 13 of them, they're great. People stand up regularly. We've got 2x 27" monitors on each and some also have the desktop case on so they're clearly better than the electric ones.

Plus if you're getting a standing desk I don't see why you'd go the extra step to not have to wind a lever.

I've got a Maidsite T2 Pro one - dual motors with a weight capacity of 125Kg. Used it for nearly two years now and it's been solid
It's got two huawei Mateview 28" monitors on it, along with a couple of laptops and other random stuff
Generally do about 10 mins standing, 30 mins sitting on a good day. Great for morning stand ups, when you can actually stand up!

I have a fully Jarvis, not one I could consider 'cheap' but not the dearest either.

The one thing I don't like about it, either up or down - is that it's not as stable as the fixed desk I had before it. It 'wobbles' a bit, which I don't like. I have 2 screens mounted on monitor arms, so they wobble with it. I think if I had smaller screens on their stands it wouldn't be as bad. Possibly if I was on a carpeted floor, or concrete floor (instead of laminate & floorboards) it might be more stable, so I don't think it's all down to the desk.

I'd recommend trying before you buy if you can. I also find I don't use it standing as much as I should.

Very daft question but I assume you can set the Fully desks to any height between the stated ranges, not just the very top or the very bottom? I was a bit confused by the terminology of "2 stage" or "3 stage" heights.

How has the wobble issue worked out for you?

Very daft question but I assume you can set the Fully desks to any height between the stated ranges, not just the very top or the very bottom? I was a bit confused by the terminology of "2 stage" or "3 stage" heights.

Yes, I have a fully jarvis desk with a 32" monitor and can set whatever height you like or lower it incrementally and stop pressing it. For my one I don't find it wobbles too much.

Old pic with previous monitor below
AFbM39E.jpeg

Yes, I have a fully jarvis desk with a 32" monitor and can set whatever height you like or lower it incrementally and stop pressing it. For my one I don't find it wobbles too much.

Old pic with previous monitor below

Cheers, I’m looking at an upgrade to my current £50 John Lewis desk that I’ve had for 7 years! :D

What width did you go for?

Last edited:

Yeah the 2/3 stage thing refers to the overall min and max I think. Other than that you can adjust it as much as you like.

Wobble is ‘fine’, I think a lot of it is down to the floor it’s sat in. Laminate floated on top of floorboards is not as firm as a solid floor for instance.

Cheers, I’m looking at an upgrade to my current £50 John Lewis desk that I’ve had for 7 years! :D

What width did you go for?
Oh yeah, if you're over 6 foot I'd consider getting the "3 stage" one which can go slightly higher but I tend to like a high standing desk, I'm about 6'1.

When i read reviews I did read the 2stage is more stable, mine is the 2 stage and I have it at its highest height when standing.

Last edited:
Pushing this post back up to see if anyone has other recommendations for standing desks. I would need to buy two so ideally want to keep each one around £250 - £300 max.

Pushing this post back up to see if anyone has other recommendations for standing desks. I would need to buy two so ideally want to keep each one around £250 - £300 max.

I'm still very happy with my Flexispot - Mines the E5 i think

Seems there's some big discounts tomorrow if you get in quick!

Last edited:
Has anybody noticed any differences / Benefits within themselves after moving to a standing desk?

I have one at work, and coincidentally was looking for one for home earlier (not that I can afford it). I was saying to a colleague earlier that I prefer WFH, but I really miss the standing desk. For me, it's that sitting down all day is really uncomfortable. I have a bad back already, and standing up and walking around etc helps relieve that somewhat.

I've also got a Fully Jarvis so can vouch for how good they are - but it looks like they've since been bought by Herman Miller.

They do occasionally have some good sales on but they're definitely on the more expensive side. It's worth looking at getting legs and top separately, that can save a decent amount of money too.

Last edited:
I have been tempted with these from Costco. https://www.costco.co.uk/Furniture-...er-Adjustable-Height-Tech-Desk-Black/p/288498 they are a bit more expensive but when i saw them i was quite impressed how robust they felt and i like the slim drawer and the tempered glass top. A little bit deeper at 65cm but flipping heavy at 45KG.

I hear good things about the songmics ones on amazon as well. They are much cheaper at £139 but have been on offer quite regularly at about £115.

Back
Top Bottom