Standing Desks - Cheap Ones worth it?

Thanks for the feedback all.

We currently have 2 of us sat at one of the long IKEA worktops so could potentially cut it down and use with some standing legs.

pfft n00b. I went for outrageous 1.8m by 0.8m.

I am starting to think I went overkill tho :cry: :cry:

:D

To be fair, my current one is 1.2*0.6 and it's definitely too small. It's an MDF offcut from a local carpeneter and horrific to use. I've got some junk wood under the car port which should make a 1.5*0.6 desk which i'll be happier with. Just need to pull my finger out to actually sand/joint it. Not tempting with no workbench though and just a circular saw!

The idea of the extra depth is tempting though. 60cm just doesn't seem enough.

Last edited:
I bought a Desktronic Home 160x80 for £260 a week or so ago and it's good so far. I hadn't wanted a standing one necessarily but the height adjustment allows me to sit comfortably as standard desks are a little too low for me (I'm 6' 4"). It's been good so far, adjusts height relatively quickly and is very sturdy at my usual setting (80cm) and stable enough at it's max height should I choose to stand (121cm).

Fits my PC, a 34" UW monitor and 27" monitor well enough, though I do wonder about the PC being on the one side as it's heavier than anything else on the desk and there's a slight "clunk" on that side when I first adjust the height at any point, so may look to even the weight out somehow. Still, it's rated for up to 120kg and has dual motors so I don't anticipate it wearing out too quickly as I don't adjust it often, and the 5 year warranty is decent.

I have a Flexispot E7 I think. Dual motor one, 120kg support since I have a lot of kit on my desk. Been great soo far.
Just bought the frame, using my old desk worktop 160 x 80cm.

Last edited:
I bought a Desktronic Home 160x80 for £260 a week or so ago and it's good so far. I hadn't wanted a standing one necessarily but the height adjustment allows me to sit comfortably as standard desks are a little too low for me (I'm 6' 4"). It's been good so far, adjusts height relatively quickly and is very sturdy at my usual setting (80cm) and stable enough at it's max height should I choose to stand (121cm).

Fits my PC, a 34" UW monitor and 27" monitor well enough, though I do wonder about the PC being on the one side as it's heavier than anything else on the desk and there's a slight "clunk" on that side when I first adjust the height at any point, so may look to even the weight out somehow. Still, it's rated for up to 120kg and has dual motors so I don't anticipate it wearing out too quickly as I don't adjust it often, and the 5 year warranty is decent.
Like the look of that desk, struggling to find it for that price though!

guess he means the frame alone ... not sure why you'd have a heavy PC taking up real estate + loading on raising mechanism, than the floor (with appropriate snake cables)
food and notepads more useful desk occupants WFH

Super pleased with my E7 Pro. I've heard a priority is to get ones with "C" shape legs. It seems most of the Pro/spenny models appear like that. This things feels weapons grade. I went for the 180x80 top which whilst being chipboard is solid and the laminate feels like a proper office desk.

Frame was only £280 but had to play their stupid timed-discount code game (check the FlexiSpot website and you'll see whatever guise of nonesense they are doing now). The top was £190 but it was late by like 6 days so I argued a £50 discount.

fKthkGN.jpeg

Last edited:

How is the Desktronic holding up?
How long after you ordered was it delivered? I'm considering the HomeOne now as it seems to be the most resonably priced.

How is the Desktronic holding up?
How long after you ordered was it delivered? I'm considering the HomeOne now as it seems to be the most resonably priced.

Still doing fine, no issues so far but then it's only been around 6 weeks. At my usual height (80cm) it's very solid, more so than my friend's non-powered IKEA Bekant.

Delivery was swift when ordered via the rainforest, I think it arrived a couple of days after placing the order.

Not that I thought they were a panacea, but health benefits of standing desks dispelled .. V

( I'll stick to my Varier Baluns kneeling chair , has seemingly helped with back problems and present interesting balancing/equilibrium challenge until you adjust to it)

Sitting/standing on the other hand - good for OC
‘I was surprised that video games improved cognition, whereas regular exercise did not, in part because we have shown conclusively in the past that computerised “brain training” games do not improve cognitive function,’ comments Professor Owen, who reports the study with his Western colleagues, Conor Wild, Sydni Paleczny and Alex Xue, and me, in a preprint on PsyArXiv.

e: what I have for back/posture
Varier_Home_Variable_17102023160311.jpg

Last edited:
Sitting/standing on the other hand - good for OC

e: what I have for back/posture

I actually thought the sitting/standing was what was recommended all along anyway?

Would love a standing desk but have a very restricted space for one ... Current desk is only 90cm wide!

Any ideas if there is a set of legs that can accommodate a 90cm wide top??

Will have to fit my 34" UW is the only real ask otherwise!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom