Standing Desks - Cheap Ones worth it?

I've been using an Ikea Trotten (with the 160 x 80cm table top) for a few years now and it's been great. I have two monitors, my pc and speakers on it without any issues - the height adjustment is slow but at least there's no chance of a motor burning out. Definitely recommended considering the competitive price.

Mines only 100cm wide, didn't have the space for a larger desk and I've only got one monitor on it anyway. I don't use the standing feature, I just wanted a small desk.

i use my FLEXISPOT E5 Standing Desk Dual Motors all the time £360 - 2020
i dont stand as much as a i should but im always adjusting the hight.
i have a habbit of kneeling on my seat and then sitting and randomly standing. i tried a lower desk with one of those ball seats (better posture) but didnt go so well.
i think it was worth the investment personally anything to prevent me sitting all the time.

Last edited:
For all those who picked one up in this thread would you still recommend the one you are using?
I got the manual ikea standing desk (trotten iirc).
I got bored of standing pretty quickly and have used it in sitting mode ever since.
I'm now of the opinion that standing desks were a fad. Good news is my desk is perfectly fine in sitting mode so it's not a total waste.

Edit: I since got a treadmill and fitbit and do my 10k steps every day while watching tv. I'd recommend that setup, much better for health than a standing desk, and similar cost.

Last edited:
I got the manual ikea standing desk (trotten iirc).
I got bored of standing pretty quickly and have used it in sitting mode ever since.
I'm now of the opinion that standing desks were a fad. Good news is my desk is perfectly fine in sitting mode so it's not a total waste.

Edit: I since got a treadmill and fitbit and do my 10k steps every day while watching tv. I'd recommend that setup, much better for health than a standing desk, and similar cost.
which treadmill?

I bought some cheap no brand legs from amazon for around 90 quid and they have been great so far, the only benefits that I can think of by spending more are the motor being quieter or increased payload capacity etc but they are perfectly functional at their current spec. I used my existing desktop with them which obviously adds to the price if you don't have one already.
Usage-wise, I've found that I use it for an hour or so a day to break up sitting down at the desk but never use it all day.

Last edited:
I've got a FlexiSpot E5 base sitting in its box waiting for me to finish decorating the office space. I haven't decided what size I want the top so haven't purchased that yet. Once that arrives I'll get it assembled and report back. :)

i eneded up ordering a 1400mm x 800mm table top. i wanted the extra depth, allt he ones i found were something like 600mm. which was just a tad to small depth wise.

Last edited:
My Ikea one gets very little use, largely because I have to do it by holding a button and faffing with finding the perfect height every time both up and down. I think I would use it a lot more if it had a memory.

i eneded up ordering a 1400mm x 800mm table top. i wanted the extra depth, allt he ones i found were something like 600mm. which was just a tad to small depth wise.
Good choice going with the extra depth, provided you've got the extra space you'll never regret having more room.

In our last house I had my standing desk in quite a small alcove so could only fit a 120cm wide desk - but still went with 80cm depth as it just made it more enjoyable to use.

Currently using a 140 x 80cm desk and it's great, I try to stand each time I'm on calls but it massively tends to vary how I'm actually feeling during the working day. I'd say I stand for at least 2 hours a day but honestly even if I never stood once it'd still be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom