Star Trek advice

Che

Che

Associate
Right! I am planning to watch every Star Trek TV episode and film ever made in the correct order but I need some guidance.

Star Trek: The Original Series
is quite simple as it went from September '66 to June '69, then it was Star Trek: The Animated Series (which I've never actually seen before) which ran from September '73 to October '74 and then it was all the films, starting in December '79 with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Now my problem, Star Trek: The Next Generation started in September '87 but there were two more Original Series era films made after that, namely Star Trek V: The Final Frontier in June '89 and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country in December '91 which is a good five seasons into Star Trek: The Next Generation!

It may sound lame but I want to watch it in all the right order :p There's also the Star Trek: The Next Generation era films that I need to watch in the right orders but that's months away so I'll worry about it later!

Soldato
Surely it makes sense to watch them in chronological order plot-wise.

My advice: Burn them all and forget Star Trek ever existed.

But if you really insist on watching them, I can sell you loads of DS9 and voyager videos!

Associate
just watch:

ToS and ToS movies ToS cartoon
TNG and TNG movies
DS9
voyager
enterprise...or do you wantch enterprise first because it comes first in the star trek timeline....?

the only way to put them all in proper order is by stardate i suppose, but that would be far too much effort IMO.

Che

Che

Associate
OP
Ah you would think so but that doesn't work. Say for example, you watch Enterprise before you watch Star Trek: The Original Series, it would be the right order in the Trek universe but loads of the revelations like meeting familiar species for the first time wouldn't mean anything if you hadn't already seen them for ages in the other series. For this reason I'm trying to watch them in production date order but it seems a bit weird watching some movies half way through other era series.

Che

Che

Associate
OP
WS_TailGunner said:
enterprise...or do you wantch enterprise first because it comes first in the star trek timeline....?
No pretty much like you've said, not Enterprise first.

WS_TailGunner said:
the only way to put them all in proper order is by stardate i suppose, but that would be far too much effort IMO.
Haha nah that would be too sad even for me! :p

Che

Che

Associate
OP
Visage said:
On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being geek and 10 being nerd, you score about 1.67e15.
You're pretty high up yourself considering you used standard form in calling me a geek...and even then using "e" like a computer would ;)

R^T

R^T

Associate
Hey man, I could never get into Star Trek.

But I think that sound like a wicked idea. Ben nice to chil out and grab a load of beers and snacks.

Enjoy yourself mate

Che

Che

Associate
OP
Hehe, I've already seen most of the newer series on TV but not in order or anything so I thought I'd start from the beginning. Done 24 marathons as well, starting at 8am and going through to the next day...it hurt :(

Soldato
Get outside, meet a woman or a man or both... whatever floats your boat!

I think you are also seriously underestimating the time invloved in watching all of this the movies would take 16ish hours TNG would take about 60 hours (back to back)...

Che

Che

Associate
OP
I have a girlfriend thanks, but I fail to see how this has anything to do with watching a few episodes a week of a really long running TV series in order so as to appreciate it more? :confused:

Soldato
Me and a couple of friends were considering taking a month off of work to try and manage this back to back, in the end we decided upon this order: The original series, the animated series, the films 1 to 6, the next generation, films 7 to 10, deep space nine, voyager and lastly Enterprise, despite the "story" timelines of voyager and deep space nine, and deep space nine and the next generation overlapping. However, we never managed to get the funds together to support us for a month of doing nothing but watching star trek.

Man of Honour
WS_TailGunner said:
just watch:

ToS and ToS movies ToS cartoon
TNG and TNG movies
DS9
voyager

Thats what I would do, I've already had the idea of watching every episode. I've worn out a DVD player beacuse of it.

Enterprise, most definetly should be done last.

Burnsy

Che

Che

Associate
OP
Okay this obviously isn't going to get many proper responses so I'll turn it into a "Is Star Trek sad?" debate.

Why is it inherently sad to watch an epic TV series from the beginning? There's two sides to this I reckon: one is the fact that it's from the beginning and the other is that it's actually Star Trek.

I don't see what the problem with watching it from the beginning is. I'm not going to sit down in my bedroom one day and start watching then emerge 5 months later having watched every single episode back to back. I plan to do it over years, a couple of episodes a night when I have nothing else to do. Would you want to watch your favourite movie trilogy for example, from half way through the second movie?

Now the second point. Why is it sad to watch it? It's a TV series set in the future. It's creative and entertaining, what harm does it do to watch it?

Maybe you should stop trying to act cool and do what you want to do for once ;)

Soldato
This is why I am a Star Wars fan.
Simply, for a twist and how they were seen years ago:
Episodes 4,5,6 then
Episodes 1,2,3
To see the whole Saga as a whole story:
Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6

:D

Back
Top Bottom