** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
I just assumed Rey touching the light sabre unlocked some repressed memories/training. I got the feeling this was done deliberately to her somehow. She was young when left on Jakku but no reason why she couldn't have already been in the process of learning the jedi ways.

Soldato
I just assumed Rey touching the light sabre unlocked some repressed memories/training. I got the feeling this was done deliberately to her somehow. She was young when left on Jakku but no reason why she couldn't have already been in the process of learning the jedi ways.

The most logical explanation being that she was a Jedi baby survivor from Luke's school massacre.

Caporegime
I'm not sure whether to applaud or to pity the fact that easyrider and FoxEye stayed posting in this thread until the early hours of the morning. On a Monday. Despite having done it all day too.

That is some, err.... "dedication". :D

*backs away slowly*

Soldato
Story around today:
Yoda and both young and old Obi-Wan voices can be heard during the "vision" sequence.
Frank Oz went in to record new lines - but they decided to use some already in a different movie.
Ewan McGregor recorded new lines as young Obi-wan and they used some trickery to make Alex Guiness say Rey's name.

Caporegime
Story around today:
Yoda and both young and old Obi-Wan voices can be heard during the "vision" sequence.
Frank Oz went in to record new lines - but they decided to use some already in a different movie.
Ewan McGregor recorded new lines as young Obi-wan and they used some trickery to make Alex Guiness say Rey's name.

the Alec Guiness "Rey" apparently comes from the middle of him saying "Afraid".

That is super nerd levels of easter egg though. Did anyone notice that before they told everyone they had done it?

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed the film. There were a few problems with it, not least it was essentially just the first script done over to be faster and more action-oriented.

However my main disappointment came from the bad guy, Kylo Ren. He just wasn't anywhere near bad enough. Darth Vader, in the first film, doesn't have that much screen time, but he's a total mother ******* badass every time you see him. They did such a good job of building tension around him, whereas this guy...had his mask off inside an hour?? Now of course they'll suit him up a la Darth Vadar and I'm sure he'll be more cruel, but he's still tainted.

And the new Empire guys were all so camp.

Caporegime

She looked about 3 or 4 in that flashback when the ship left her? Whatever it was young to be teaching a jedi mind tricks :D I'm kinda hoping Luke found her after that, trained her then gave her a wipe when he went into hiding.

I think the biggest effect of seeing it again was being able to concentrate on the flashbacks scene more. I knew it was coming so tried to focus on it more. I think the 'Rey is a former student' theory has a lot of merit.

I'm not getting bent out of shape until her back story is known, it's too early but if the explanation isn't she has had a few years training the whole thing comes apart. I honestly don't think that mistake will be made.

After all Luke was far too old for training, even Anakin the chosen one at 9 was deemed too old by the council. For thousands of year children have been taken from families before they even knew their families for training.

I highly doubt they will have made a mistake by having her stumble across all this power. That argument might as well be put away for the next two films. If that becomes the case I imagine there will be a lot more vocal people but it so huge a mistake if they did I just can't see anyone involved being that stupid.

the Alec Guiness "Rey" apparently comes from the middle of him saying "Afraid".

That is super nerd levels of easter egg though. Did anyone notice that before they told everyone they had done it?

Yeah I noticed Yoda and Obi Wan straight away, it was lucky I was concentrating pretty hard on that flashback. I wasn't convinced on what I heard until I read it later.

Caporegime
And the new Empire guys were all so camp.

At least they made the Nazi leader ginger, that adds even more dislike for Moff Tarkin version B. Vader would have forced choked him by now :D The storm troopers I don't like the helmet as much as the more menacing first one but I'm sure it will grow on me as my son get's more of them. At the very least they can hit a barn door now.

Caporegime
At least they made the Nazi leader ginger, that adds even more dislike for Moff Tarkin version B. Vader would have forced choked him by now :D The storm troopers I don't like the helmet as much as the more menacing first one but I'm sure it will grow on me as my son get's more of them. At the very least they can hit a barn door now.

Ahh I forgot to mention that before, I really disliked the new General... he was far too young, impetuous and fanatical, had no commanding presence about him. I would have loved to see a cold and calculated veteran with real gravitas like Bill Nighy taking on the role.

In the original even Vader respected Grand Moff Tarkin, he was a very strong presence.

Caporegime
My thoughts are that after defeating the empire, Luke chose to go away into exile almost and take the force with him. So he couldn't be turned to the dark side and that the empire could not happen again.

Now, why or how there was a map made to him and who made it? And if he went alone who scribed the map?

Also both sides seemed to have 96% of the map and given their ability to seemingly travel anywhere within 2 seconds then wouldn't anyone who wanted to find him just be scouring the hole in the 96% complete map they had?

After beating up the baddies why did the rebels need to seek luke? They have just won.?

Also why aee they rebels and not umm. The army of good guys? After the empire was defeated 30 years ago who were they rebelling against? Wouldn't they just join the senate and be the army?

Soldato
Story around today:

Somewhere lost amongst the pages and pages of easyriders and foxeye's posts I said I thought I heard "find her" in the vision. It comes aroud the time of Luke putting his hand on R2-D2 and I assumed it was Luke saying it but it may have been someone else. Certainly seems there is a lot more to Rey's backstory than we currently know.

Caporegime
My thoughts are that after defeating the empire, Luke chose to go away into exile almost and take the force with him. So he couldn't be turned to the dark side and that the empire could not happen again.

They said in the film he went in to exile when the training failed when Ben turned on him Ben killed his fellow apprentices and then Luke went into hiding. Clearly this would have been years after the end of ROTJ.

From a point of view of going into hiding so the empire couldn't happen again, well that holds no weight and would be stupid for Luke to do. As Jedi/force sensitivity doesn't have to come from one force user having a child if a darkside member (Kylo) was walking around he could find force sensitives to corrupt on his own without Luke needing to train them. In fact Luke running away would have made his job easier!

Associate
I kind of liked the thought that Rey had no training and she was a natural at using and adapting the force to her will.

If you think about it the first force users who were the original teachers, must have learnt to use it somehow with no training? Maybe they were like Rey and were born with the natural ability to will it to use?

Caporegime
Ben who? I was just split up from my gf kinda when went to see it and was ovee an hour late when we arrived at cinema so i missed some bits.

If luke knew kylo was bad and able to use the force he wouldn't have gone surely so he must have left before that stage in his life?

Soldato
Opps, posted in wrong thread, i'll repeat myself here. Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread but i thought overall it was 'very good' but not 'excellent' 4/5

The biggest let down for me, and i'm going to get a lot of hate for this, is Boyega

I don't understand the hype about this kid, Finn was a one-note character and after the 3rd or 4th consecutive scene of him hitting on Rey it got boring real quick, Finn came across as a desperate horn-dog and his motivation to do anything after he landed on the sand planet solely came from under his waist, it was just embarrassing.

Poe seemed like a much more interesting character but was basically an extended cameo and was relegated to main cockpit guy

I loved everything else about it, 3D was only ok with one stand out shot with that star destroyer filling the screen.

I would say it was far far better than anything in the PT and maybe on par with ROTJ (but not better)

Back
Top Bottom