Star Wars: Jedi - Fallen Order (Respawn Entertainment)

Soldato
So as you may have heard, there's a new Star Wars game in development. Now that probably doesn't excite us as much as it would have in days gone by (or a long, long time ago), and I've given up hope for a new X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight, or Knights of the Old Republic. But Respawn is developing this, so there is still a chance this may buck the recent trend and actually be a decent title.

Anyway, it's a third person game (disappointing given the damn good gun-play in Titanfall) set after the events of Revenge of the Sith. It'll be a single player experience only, and one where it looks like story will be taken seriously; Chris Avellone who wrote for KOTOR 2 worked on JFO's story. It'll be released near the end of the year (November is rumoured). We'll find out more on Saturday, when we get a first look during Star Wars Celebration in Chicago.

May the force be with us all. In other words, please be much better than The Force Unleashed.

Caporegime
Yeah, after I wrote that I thought that those games might not work so well and a God Of War model might be better with all the Jedi power ups and what have you. Or Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Man of Honour
Here is hoping it isn't a Frostbite engine game... but it probably is. To be fair that engine nails the aesthetic but it is seriously lacking in other areas.

Man of Honour
What the heck going on with Frosbite? Dragon Age Inquisition was perfect but then we’ve had Andromeda and Anthem where it’s all gone boobs up...

Depends a bit on what kind of game you make with it but typical Dice fashion the "glue" code that holds a lot of stuff together especially gameplay logic support routines are a bit slap dash they seem to have only paid attention to them long enough to get them working "80%" of the time and then said "that's good enough" and moved on and never gone back and perfected them which means a game that relies on them without understanding how they are broken underneath, etc. can randomly break in really weird ways.

Man of Honour
Have you played any EA Star Wars games? Complete trash.

I actually quite enjoyed the first new Battlefront game - but Frostbite engine and too many short sighted gameplay design decisions eventually overshadowed the positives and the 2nd game especially the direction they went with a lot of stuff initially just killed any interest in it.

Soldato
Have you played any EA Star Wars games? Complete trash.

I played Titafall, Titanfall 2 and Apex and I noticed an interesting pattern: each game Respawn releases is better than the previous. So I'm pretty confident in their ability to deliver another interesting product.

As for the Battlefront, it was a typical DICE game, a futuristic battlefield. EA is a large company that owns several developers of varying quality so the "EA bad durka durrr!" slogan is the result of lazy or even faulty reasoning.

Caporegime
I played Titafall, Titanfall 2 and Apex and I noticed an interesting pattern: each game Respawn releases is better than the previous. So I'm pretty confident in their ability to deliver another interesting product.

As for the Battlefront, it was a typical DICE game, a futuristic battlefield. EA is a large company that owns several developers of varying quality so the "EA bad durka durrr!" slogan is the result of lazy or even faulty reasoning.

Not from where I'm coming from, it's far from faulty or lazy reasoning they're involved in bad games full stop. I've played the games you've listed (except Apex as BR doesn't interest me) and they're all trash.

BF1 and BF5 trash, TF and TF2 trash, all the EA SW games - trash. I hold zero faith in this game being any good.

At least PvZ2 was good I suppose.

Soldato
Not from where I'm coming from, it's far from faulty or lazy reasoning they're involved in bad games full stop. I've played the games you've listed (except Apex as BR doesn't interest me) and they're all trash.

BF1 and BF5 trash, TF and TF2 trash, all the EA SW games - trash. I hold zero faith in this game being any good.

At least PvZ2 was good I suppose.

Your broad use of the rating "trash" seems to be the result of a careful, unbiased assessment. Or not, what do I know? :D

Caporegime
Your broad use of the rating "trash" seems to be the result of a careful, unbiased assessment. Or not, what do I know? :D

Not sure why I would have bias towards any particular publisher/developer, if they make games I enjoy then I classify them as good, if they make bad games I classify them as trash. It might be an unpopular opinion as far as TF1/2 is concerned but I didn't like them, at all.

So no, no bias, just experience.

EA as a publisher with a record of releasing unfinished games and a developer from which I've not enjoyed a game they've made. Add to that they have zero experience in this genre (at least as far as games released).... not seeing where the optimism is coming from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why I would have bias towards any particular publisher/developer, if they make games I enjoy then I classify them as good, if they make bad games I classify them as trash. It might be an unpopular opinion as far as TF1/2 is concerned but I didn't like them, at all.

So no, no bias, just experience.

EA as a publisher with a record of releasing unfinished games and a developer from which I've not enjoyed a game they've made. Add to that they have zero experience in this genre (at least as far as games released).... not seeing where the optimism is coming from.

I agree - EA are universally hated by most gamers owing to their corporate desire to milk the living hell out of its customer base whilst forcing its publishers to release unfinished games. Anthem. Anthem is all you need to know.

Loot boxes.

Did I say anthem?

Loot boxes.

Soldato
OP
Some artwork doing the rounds today. It doesn't tell us much at all, and I'm not sure of the original source. Some are saying it's early concept art, others say it's a poster leaked early by Amazon. Either way, it's a dude on a mountain...

Back
Top Bottom