Star Wars: The Acolyte

Caporegime
Why do a full flashback episode that tells us so little? We already knew there was a fire that killed everyone, that Mae started it, and that the Jedis were somehow involved, so what did we learn from this extended version that made it worth spending an entire episode on? A hint that Osha and Mae were cloned perhaps? I guess that's what the bit about if they find out how you created them was about?. It was always going to be hard to produce a good episode with the main roles being child actors, they're never going to be as good as experience adult actors, so they needed to have a really good reason to go that route and they didn't. Also, I understand why they probably went for two different actors for the children, but with the adult versions being the same actor the obvious differences in the their appearance really jarred.

The attitude of Osha to the Jedi made no sense to me, she's lived all her life in a closed commune that is on the run from the Jedi and fears them, where on Earth has she picked up this positive view towards them from? It's one thing to be railing against the restrictions of her life and wanting more freedom but going "I shall join the enemy of my people and family" seems one hell of a leap from there. As for Mae, the leap from "I love you sister" and a bit of a brat to "I shall kill you! Burn it with fire!" seemed poorly delivered. I guess they were going for a darkness within kind of tale, with the casual cruelty to that flying thing supposed to telegraph it, but it just wasn't enough. Also, how does a building so clearly made of stone go up in flames like that?

As for that scene, I can maybe forgive the "one... two... many" bit if it turns out to have some function in the plot, but the whole ritual was so badly shot, written, and directed. The overlaid music and singing came across really poorly. A diegetic approach, with the music and singing being produced by people actually in the ceremony would have worked so much better and made sense for an important ritual occasion. Also, if this "accession" is the pinnacle of their training, why was the lesson they were given before it so utterly basic? It was like the Force (but don't call it that!) for first class in primary school. Why would you be telling them about the thread, they've surely lived that their entire lives?

Yeah, really disappointing after the first two episodes.

Original 6 and a strict diet of Disney classics is the way to go, just pretend like the rest don’t exist.. They can make their own decisions when they turn 18 :D

Original six? Mate, the prequels were way worse than most of what Disney have put out.

Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
yeah my biggest grip so far is the writing, dialogue and plot. Its clumsy and crude. I am not looking for the Shawshank Redemption but at least put some thought into. I am no expert but i cant help but get the impression the writers/director are not as intimate with the source material as they could be?

Last edited:
Associate
yeah my biggest grip so far is the writing, dialogue and plot. Its clumsy and crude. I am not looking for the Shawshank Redemption but at least put some thought into. I am no expert but i cant help but get the impression the writers/director are not as intimate with the source material as they could be?
Don't know what gave you that impression ; Anakin destroyed the Death Star, didn't you know ? ;)

Soldato
Imagine being a dad now and this is the SW you get to share with your kids...
Just show them the OT and Rouge One, then the first 2 seasons of the Manderloren and if you really want The Clone Wars.

The rest is trash

I'm not liking the revisionism of the PT, they're just as bad as what Disney is putting out.

Soldato
Original six? Mate, the prequels were way worse than most of what Disney have put out.
I did consider this before posting and I’m surprised you’re the only one that’s called me out but I’m standing by it.

Poor dialogue aside, I think the prequels have aged pretty well, some great action sequences, choreography and plenty of cool parts that kids would enjoy.

Soldato
Poor dialogue aside, I think the prequels have aged pretty well, some great action sequences, choreography and plenty of cool parts that kids would enjoy.
Exactly this, kids dont care about dialogue or even bad acting. They are fun movies that **** over anything disney has produced, and they feel like star wars unlike 90% of disney products.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just show them the OT and Rouge One, then the first 2 seasons of the Manderloren and if you really want The Clone Wars.

The rest is trash

I'm not liking the revisionism of the PT, they're just as bad as what Disney is putting out.

Andor is good and concludes with season 2, so it wont overstay its welcome, as long as they don't royally **** it up somehow it should be a good shout alongside Rogue One and the original trilogy.

The prequels while not stellar at least have charm and some fun scenes while not totally crapping on the lore, I think most agree that there's some excellent characters in them. They also have The Clone Wars animation attached which I've never heard anyone say anything bad about, I'm sure most kids would enjoy the series.

Last edited:
Associate
I did consider this before posting and I’m surprised you’re the only one that’s called me out but I’m standing by it.

I'd agree with this. I'm not fond of the prequels, certainly compared to the original trilogy. Objectively their biggest flaw is poor dialogue but, as you say, the visuals and action sequences are strong. They also don't ride roughshod over the existing lore.

For me Disney has made some good SW content : Rogue One, Andor and 1st 2 seasons of The Mandolorian. I haven't watched the animated shows, so can't comment on those. But everything else has been trash tier at best.

Soldato
I enjoyed The Bad Batch. The wiring wasn’t Shakespeare and Ford-Coppola didn’t direct it, but I was actually more invested in a set of cartoon characters than the live ones in any of the recent KKSW dross.

Soldato
Andor is good and concludes with season 2, so it wont overstay its welcome, as long as they don't royally **** it up somehow it should be a good shout alongside Rogue One and the original trilogy.

The prequels while not stellar at least have charm and some fun scenes while not totally crapping on the lore, I think most agree that there's some excellent characters in them. They also have The Clone Wars animation attached which I've never heard anyone say anything bad about, I'm sure most kids would enjoy the series.
I'll give you Andor, a good companion piece to Rouge One

Soldato
Did anyone else laugh at this scene?

ThE PoWeR oF oNe......
ThE PoWeR oF tWo..........
ThE PoWeR Of MaNnNnNnyYyYy.
I’ve seen the clips and it’s a mixture of cringe and humour on my end.

Also since the force impregnates that woman. Surely that means the force is male? :|

Soldato
I’ve seen the clips and it’s a mixture of cringe and humour on my end.

Also since the force impregnates that woman. Surely that means the force is male? :|

Nope, it's an immaculate all-lesbian witch conception because of some new magical macguffin string apparently, no male was needed as the Force is Female, as KK and her crew have been telling us for years, this is where they were heading.

I mean they already ruined the force it's now meaningless as it can or can't be used for anything as the plot demands, light sabres now have the same devastating effect as having your appendix out, but a small fruit knife kills a Jedi stone dead, no problem. So yeah, meet the new force same as the old force, but the Jedi are replaced with DEI lesbian witches with some magical invisble string...

So that's all fine then, just don't think about it too much.*

*Don't forget to renew your D+ and await next product.

Soldato
Maybe it was that cladded stone, installed by non-compliant suppliers in contravention with fundamental local council building and fire safety codes. I bet they didn't even have a fire warden.

Edit: In fact, can anyone ever remember there ever being a fire alarm test on a Wednesday morning, or a fire drill test, or even just seen a fire extinguisher on the wall, or propping a door open, in any of Star Wars? I think I remember R2D2 putting a fire out once, but other than that no visible fire safety precautions in x thousand years of Jedi/Empire history. Fire safety is not to be sniffed at, seriously you will burn your nose for a start.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom