Star Wars: The Old Republic free trial

Caporegime
It doesn't mean theyre desperate. What a silly thing to say. It's basically a demo. A way of a dev getting the game out to people who were unsure about buying to see if they like or not.

Star Wars has been extremely successful and better than anyone assumed it woiuld be. Bioware are extremely happy with the numbers being taken on board and they are doing a fantastic job at supporting the game and I have every faith they will continue. Its not without its errors and problems but then that is the same for every MMORPG ever released.

'Fantastic job' supporting the game?

Associate
I would like one of the 7 day trials as Ill be unable to paly this weekend and wouldnt mind giving it a whirl, Ill message someone at beginning of next week who has an invite left :)

Associate
OP
That's all I needed to hear, thanks!

Yeesh, is there any way to download it before the trial actually begins?

i don't think there is been looking... looks like you have to create a account through the link provided then download the client, just tried downloading the initial setup small file 38mb but then it ask you to create a account before continuing so better wait while Thursday.

have to do same with rift trial too.

Associate
Its a desperate scramble for subs, but there ya go. As I said in the main thread I don't know why they're doing this before 1.2. Seems crazy to download that much for 4 days play but at least you'll experience the best part of the game, getting your light sabre!

You are like a broken record, you just go on and on and on!

Your comments are getting quite boring and pathetic now!

Huw

Huw

Associate
i don't think there is been looking... looks like you have to create a account through the link provided then download the client, just tried downloading the initial setup small file 38mb but then it ask you to create a account before continuing so better wait while Thursday.

have to do same with rift trial too.

Ta for the info, I'll wait until it begins then.

Regarding demos at launch, no major MMO does this because (if I recall correctly) a AAA MMORPG needs as many initial sales as possible to offset the several years' worth of development costs before ongoing costs can even be considered. I think the prevailing attitude among publishers is that they'd rather people just took the plunge instead of trying a demo and deciding the game isn't for them.

I'm not saying I personally agree with that strategy, it's just what the publishers seem to think is best.

Soldato
You are like a broken record, you just go on and on and on!

Your comments are getting quite boring and pathetic now!

Deluded fanboi alert!! You know what, you never add anything to the discussion except drivel and attacks, you never quantify, qualify or prove your statements that 'everythings rosy'. Im asking why they didnt do this after 1.2, youre just blindly puppying along after any SWTOR dropping as usual. Leave the conversation to adults boy.

Associate
Regarding demos at launch, no major MMO does this because (if I recall correctly) a AAA MMORPG needs as many initial sales as possible to offset the several years' worth of development costs before ongoing costs can even be considered. I think the prevailing attitude among publishers is that they'd rather people just took the plunge instead of trying a demo and deciding the game isn't for them.

That's shows a rather negative attitude towards your product and demo, ie you expect people not to like it so you don't want them to try it first. Lots on people, like me, aren't going to buy it unless they can try first. Most open betas nowadays are simply a free trial before it goes live. Any mmo needs a similar system post release.

Soldato
That's shows a rather negative attitude towards your product and demo, ie you expect people not to like it so you don't want them to try it first. Lots on people, like me, aren't going to buy it unless they can try first. Most open betas nowadays are simply a free trial before it goes live. Any mmo needs a similar system post release.

the difference being the expectation levels for games like this. Have you noticed the increase in emphasis on pre-orders for a lot of titles? MMOs (like Tera) are even linking pre-orders to beta access, early starts, in-game items etc. all designed to get as much commitment to a purchase prior to launch. You almost cant access a beta now without a purchase.

So a solid title will not give people a free go at the game because theres enough interest to drive sales of the client and inevitably, not everyone who tries will buy. Its only when things start slowing down that the free trials come out, hence the surprise from some quarters about this one.

Associate
Deluded fanboi alert!! You know what, you never add anything to the discussion except drivel and attacks, you never quantify, qualify or prove your statements that 'everythings rosy'. Im asking why they didnt do this after 1.2, youre just blindly puppying along after any SWTOR dropping as usual. Leave the conversation to adults boy.

Drivel and attacks?? Do me favour, your consist negativity about the game is pathetic and childish. I haven’t once said that everything is rosy. Far from it. We all fully aware you dislike the game and don’t have a care in the world for it. You bang on and on about the same issues week after week. Its nauseating! Move on please!

Soldato
I wouldn't say that's the case for free trials coming available for all MMO's, but i agree some do come available when things do slowdown.

no, i'd agree with you, there are other reasons. Quite a few MMOs will introduce free trials to show off new content, hence my surprise this has not been done after the great white hope that is 1.2. I cant quite get my head around the timing of this one, so soon after the Australasia release, with such a limited time frame.

Soldato
Drivel and attacks?? Do me favour, your consist negativity about the game is pathetic and childish. I haven’t once said that everything is rosy. Far from it. We all fully aware you dislike the game and don’t have a care in the world for it. You bang on and on about the same issues week after week. Its nauseating! Move on please!

See, drivel! What is the point you are making other than a personal attack? Like I said, we are having a serious discussion here and your constant trolling against anyone who doesnt immediately agree youre the greatest is pathetic and childish. Please go away or join the conversation in an adult manner.

Associate
See, drivel! What is the point you are making other than a personal attack? Like I said, we are having a serious discussion here and your constant trolling against anyone who doesnt immediately agree youre the greatest is pathetic and childish. Please go away or join the conversation in an adult manner.

Personal attack? I'm the greatest? Hahaha that made me laugh!

We have a somebody starting a thread about “SWTOR Free weekend Trial” we get a couple of people, responding “excellent news” “great this is what I’ve been waiting for” Then you come in and say “It’s a desperate scramble for subs, but there ya go” And I’m trolling?

Didn't you say the same thing on the other thread? Just have to throw your 2cent in, hey! Just won’t let it rest?

Associate
the difference being the expectation levels for games like this. Have you noticed the increase in emphasis on pre-orders for a lot of titles? MMOs (like Tera) are even linking pre-orders to beta access, early starts, in-game items etc. all designed to get as much commitment to a purchase prior to launch. You almost cant access a beta now without a purchase.

Same with lots of industries though. Holiday firms offering incentives to book way in advance. Hollywood starting to hype films way before launch. Although when they reckon they onto a loser suddenly all the previews go away. They trying to stop negative comments preventing people seeing the film maybe?

So a solid title will not give people a free go at the game because there’s enough interest to drive sales of the client and inevitably, not everyone who tries will buy. Its only when things start slowing down that the free trials come out, hence the surprise from some quarters about this one.

Nope, if you’re your game good you got nothing to hide and no reason not to have a demo/trail. It can only enforce the opinions on how good it is and get the fence sitters to buy. If it’s a stinker it could stop people buying all together.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Look at this:

Will I need to sign up for a subscription to try the Weekend Pass Free Trial?

No, you do not need to enter any payment details or redeem a Game Time Code in order to play the Weekend Pass Free Trial. At any time during the Weekend Pass Free Trial you may sign up for a subscription or enter a Game Time Code to enjoy the full game. Unused Weekend Pass Free Trial time will expire after obtaining a subscription or redeeming a Game Time Code.

(Emphasis mine)

So basically they're waiving the initial purchase fee. Play the trial, then just activate a sub. That makes it slightly more interesting...

Back
Top Bottom