Starting swimming, any advice?

Underboss
My swim today, seems quite good and it was quite busy, so was hard to get a length in, had to wait quite a bit
ended up staying in the pool over an hour
and i manged to get some leg training in towards the end when it went a little quite , What i did was goto deep end, hold the end of the wall, out stretch face down in the water, kick like mad as long as possible, come up for air, do it again, then rest, repeat soon as the red arrow gets to the top, do this until legs burn :D

on another note, noticed my AVG DPS was lower today 1.61
best stroke was a swolf of 35, best yet, still plenty of room for improvement though :)

Soldato
Sunday - our pool has a golden period about 9am - 10am when its practically empty 8-9am 7 people right hand lane 9-10 just 3 - us, usual suspects.
most ~50s for 50m, middle lane maybe 80s

I need to start waving to people, underwater, as we pass one another doing crawl ... never sure how blinkered people are .... pity voice doesn't carry

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Sunday - our pool has a golden period about 9am - 10am when its practically empty 8-9am 7 people right hand lane 9-10 just 3 - us, usual suspects.
most ~50s for 50m, middle lane maybe 80s

I need to start waving to people, underwater, as we pass one another doing crawl ... never sure how blinkered people are .... pity voice doesn't carry

Just tap their ankles, they either understand or get narked off and leave the lane :)

Soldato
Uhm... you might want to remove those links, it's just happily logged me into your account on swimtag while viewing them, seems like a rather large issue with the website authorization :eek:

Edit: Have emailed swimtag and let them know that there is an issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd looked at link, so you swam individual 25m lengths with a rest between each .. it was a bit confusing - isn't that disjoint ? versus continuous -
distance per stroke report is nice though.

with suunto watch, this morning
I pause at the end of 50m laps to press the button, & record a lap, I don't push off, sufficient to trigger the watch itself, or roll turn.

+older HRM strap recording ... I'd look a prat if I put that on weekly at peak time.

if somethings counting laps for you, you can day dream.

49477481621_b8568eb53c_c_d.jpg

Soldato
...so you were just doing 25m sprints with rests in swimtag ?
Looks like it, here's my swim from today, hopefully using a link that doesn't log anybody into my account... :D

https://www.swimtag.net/swim/3839966

Swimtag did get back to me, there is an export button on the right-hand side that will allow you to share a swim without using the emailed link which does indeed automatically log you in as it assumes you are the only person with access to the email.

Soldato
... you're stopping after every 25m, in both the shallow and the deep-end ... rather than swimming at maybe lower pace, for sets ?
I would think that's stressful on a cardio-basis, is it becoming anaerobic too.

there's one guy at our pool who swims leasurely breast stroke, one, way, and does the crawl at higher rate on the return, but swims continuously.

Soldato
swim slower on lengths, at a sustainable output, and perfect your technique. ?

we don't have swimtag ...I'm assuming this is not accompanied by any kind of video installation at the pool, for some lanes.

Underboss
I know you are trying to help, thanks for your comments

Ive been told to use my ankles like mad (so to speak) so im not sure how to slow down (if that make sense?)

I want to put this up, so you know that my body isn't quite right, so i will never get that good. I have been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease and I've had hip and back problems for many many years now, I had to give up Cycling nearly 10 years ago, swimming is the only thing i can do now, but with the problems ive got (including my neck) its hard

Back
Top Bottom