Steam christmas sale 2010... *twitch*

Man of Honour
Is it just my imagination or are the prices not as good as last year?

My impression also - even stuff I already own, I have bought it cheaper on Steam in previous sales. I figured the Christmas sales were supposed to be their best. I would say it is early days, but then we have had some big titles on there already.

Caporegime
The Biscuit/Halibut dude cannot do a Steam deals video today but I present his comments in brief.

Though I can't do the video today, my advice? Wings of Prey = Ok, Deathspank = Meh, Silent Hunter = Meh, unless you are a fan of simulations, Patrician 4 = Good, Blood Bowl = Niche/Meh, Blur = Meh (for the price, good game), Darksiders = Must buy for the price, Mass Effect 2 = Buy, Alpha Protocol = Avoid, bad, Dead Rising = Ok, bit pricey, OpFlash 2 = Avoid

Oh yeah and Risen, probably worth the price.

Man of Honour
Patrician 4 = good? lol, OK. Maybe for £2 or so. Seriously tempted by Risen, wish it was a little cheaper. Will probably wait for a future sale as I wont get round to playing it until then anyway.

Downloading the demo of Risen to see what it is like...

Last edited:
Associate
Patrician 4 = good? lol, OK. Maybe for £2 or so. Seriously tempted by Risen, wish it was a little cheaper. Will probably wait for a future sale as I wont get round to playing it until then anyway.

Downloading the demo of Risen to see what it is like...

What's wrong with Patrician 4? I was going to get it for a mate who's into the Total War series and it's ilk; a bad idea then?

Permabanned
Thats my impression also.
Most of the prices are the same as they were for games that were on sale last year, and the newer stuff simply ins't as dramatically reduced.

Yep some of it is worse. I know Vegas 2 was £4.99 a year ago and this year it's £7.49! (I bought it in another Steam sale this year for about £6.50 IIRC. I had thought about waiting for the Christmas sale and it seems I needn't have worried.)

Soldato
Alpha Protocol is actually okay - it's different to the rest of the stuff out there and although it does have faults it's one of the only games recently I've actually spent time completing. Well worth 5 squid.

M.

Caporegime
Is it just my imagination or are the prices not as good as last year?

Probably just your imagination, this year seems to have taken much the same tact - put some decent deals up on day 1, everyone thinks 'oh wow this will be awesome' and then the rest of the sale is pretty mediocre with the odd deal being good.

I'm sure if you could dig out last years thread you'd see similar moaning in the latter days about how the sale was a bit rubbish after day 1.

Associate
Any of the total war series that he doesn't have? They all seem reduced at the moment.

Sadly he's got them all (he's a bit obsessive ;)), maybe I should try introducing him to a new genre...

Its a trading/business simulation. Potentially quite dull- I think it only averaged about 6/10 not a must buy

Thanks, it sounds as though it won't go down great then as my mate likes the battle strategy side.

Back
Top Bottom