Steam IS coming to OS X

Associate
Trine is a good one, we also have Mirrors Edge and Worms: Reloaded due out before the year is done.

For me they need to get on with dealing with Aspyr one way or the other and get COD4 OSX and the like on Steam, as well as all the other games that have Mac ports but are not to be found (all the id games, Deus Ex, Dragon Age etc...).

Still, I think it's pushing developers in the right direction, giving them a viable route to market should they choose to make a native port, one of the reasons WoW was so popular was Blizzard have always supported the Mac from day one with dual releases and many Mac owners want to play some games but go with the best of the bunch they have to hand (WoW for MMO's).

If GW2 went Mac native they might actually be able to bag some of the Mac users who don't want to buy windows just for the sake of a few games.

Soldato
If anyone is having trouble starting Trine. Follow these steps.

Just posted this in the Mac forums thread:

Ok I just got emailed a potential temporary fix by ktuimala, so here goes (please note this is totally at your own risk, I can't test this until 6-7 hours):

- Open Terminal
- Highlight and paste the following...... Hit enter on the last line to make sure it goes.....

cd "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/trine/trine.app/Contents/Framework/Cg.Framework"
mv Cg Cg.old
mv Headers Headers.old
mv Resources Resources.old
cd Versions/1.0
cp Cg ../../Cg
cp -R Headers ../../Headers
cp -R Resources ../../Resources

If someone tests this, let me know how it goes... If it works, I shall send some high praise to Kaleb. I guess I wouldn't be the only one.

Just re-downloading again to give this a try.

Soldato
Was wondering whether to get Trine on PS3 or Mac as i've always wanted to give it a try. For £4.25 on the Mac i think it's worth a shot.

It's quite power hungry mind. Which is strange as it's just a sideways scroller. To run at my native res of 1680x1050 i need to run medium/low textures and no AA and AF. The low textures don't look too much different from High textures on face value though which is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a broguht copy of COD Modern Warfare for Windows which I'd like to play (At low res) on my MBP ..... Is there anyway to download this from anywhere for the Mac? Don't really want to have to buy another copy..

I know this isn't Steam but it's gaming so :)

Soldato
If

- you have the 10.6.5 update installed
- you are running on NVIDIA graphic hardware
- you play with multisampling enabled

you can take advantage of a new option to improve performance. The option will provide a varying amount of benefit depending on which title you are playing, and how often that title uses certain rendering techniques for which this option can potentially provide a speed boost.

In the launch options panel for your game, add this text:

-gl_enable_scaled_resolve

Essentially, the improvements in 10.6.5 allow the game engine (in some cases) to combine what would have taken two separate image operations into a single step in the hardware. This turned up a lot in Portal for example, especially in scenes with reflective or glass surfaces in view.

Again, this only applies if you have 10.6.5, have NVIDIA graphics, and are playing with MSAA enabled. If at some point we see the ATI drivers follow suit, there won't be any problem to enable it there too.

Keep in mind that this won't double your frame rate, on tested scenes it looked to vary between about 5 and 15% overall improvement.

We'd be happy to get your feedback on it once you have tried it out, and if there are no problems we're likely to just enable it by default in future releases.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576235

Soldato
Awesome! Nice find. Will give it a go!

Using AA under OS X has always been a utter dog with source games. In WoW though it's pretty efficient.

Soldato
:p

Fantastic news Phate! I'm sorely tempted to get a Mac Pro next time mainly due to how long you've had yours and the ability to upgrade the graphics. Would make the computer last a hell of a lot longer for me!

Caporegime
:p

Fantastic news Phate! I'm sorely tempted to get a Mac Pro next time mainly due to how long you've had yours and the ability to upgrade the graphics. Would make the computer last a hell of a lot longer for me!

Bought a different toy first....

4.jpg

mmmm IPS goodness :D - But you are right, Mac Pro is the way forward. Had mine since 2007 and I used the Applecare once, ironically within 2 months of it expiring in June this year and the DVD drive was knackered and so was the OS drive. Both been replaced by Apple. Thing is, unless something major like a motherboard or CPU goes I can maintain it myself :)

Currently running

2 x 2.66ghz c2d Xeon cpus
9gb ram
X1900XTX 512mb card soon to be ATI 5770 1GB card :)
Just shoved another hard drive in it to.

I love it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really surprised they did it as Steamplay. I thought it was being ported and published by Aspyr. Can't see Borderlands being Steamplay though. :D

Its what they did for 4 when bts was finally ported and its how they've done 5 for windows...

To be honest its THE BEST DAY!! Since it was announced it was coming to mac iv been waiting patiently for it to come out to get really into it... :D (time to tell Feek in big capital letters as he had a thread about it a few weeks ago)

Caporegime
Holy thread revival! But I didn't think this question warranted it's own thread so I'm using the one we already have:

Has anybody managed to change the Steam icon? I've tried in Candybar and I've tried by the usual method of CMD + I on the Steam shortcut and then just CMD + C then CMD + V over the old Steam icon and I've also tried right clicking the Steam icon, going to show package contents > Resources and replacing the icon file there but the icon isn't actually changing to what I want, it's just showing the icon you get when the image is the wrong filetype. I have of course logged out/restarted/dragged the shortcut off the dock and added the shortcut again from the Applications folder.

Any ideas? The file I'm using was saved as a PNG file and then I changed the extension to .icns

Back
Top Bottom