Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

So people seem to be getting these in a rather scattered fashion, if i order now is there a set date it will arrive or is it anywhere between now and then (i understand the guys above preordered first thing to secure uber early fun time)

I must be in the minority as I've had no issues playing Rocket league or Ryse. Used it every night almost since receiving it on Friday.

Settings are set at beautiful, so far it just works. (I have a decent network)

I guess some games will come with windows related problems with pop-up dialogue boxes, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes hehe

So far it feels a lot better than it did using my HTPC(input lag)!

It seems that having a decent network is exactly what you need. I've found in home streaming worked very well even over WiFi.

I suspect people having a rough time are running everything through their ISP router or something.

Got my Steam Controller on Saturday and I really can't get on with it. Its useless for GTA V. Does anyone know if I can return it under distance selling?

- Edit!

Refund submitted - will let you know how I get on.

Last edited:
Got my Steam Controller on Saturday and I really can't get on with it. Its useless for GTA V. Does anyone know if I can return it under distance selling?

- Edit!

Refund submitted - will let you know how I get on.

I used the steam controller with GTA V was ok until you have to bloody shoot something :)

Struggling to like it and keep accidently hitting the paddles at the back so in xcom have accidentally finished moves or reloaded weapon

I used the steam controller with GTA V was ok until you have to bloody shoot something :)

Struggling to like it and keep accidently hitting the paddles at the back so in xcom have accidentally finished moves or reloaded weapon

The right touch pad is actually useless, it's all or nothing - It nearly went out the window.

I'll stick with my battered XB360 controller.

I've not read or watched a single glowing review of the controller so far. Too much of a learning curve and it's too fiddly to set up an optimal profile (defeating the point of it surely?).

It's got massive potential, but I think this needs a version 2 revision in terms of ergonomics and design plus developers to get onboard and ship games with profiles already built in specifically for it, rather than relying on crowd-sourced ones.

Also it seems worst at the games it was meant to excel at - FPS!

I've not read or watched a single glowing review of the controller so far. Too much of a learning curve and it's too fiddly to set up an optimal profile (defeating the point of it surely?).

It's got massive potential, but I think this needs a version 2 revision in terms of ergonomics and design plus developers to get onboard and ship games with profiles already built in specifically for it, rather than relying on crowd-sourced ones.

I always pictured it as being for the mouse based games not suitable to a normal controller like rts games etc? Either way looks to be a flop, will just get the link

Some people seem to be very positive on it, but just say it will require time.

Which is just wishful thinking. Not everything is solvable through time or 'getting used to it'.

I always pictured it as being for the mouse based games not suitable to a normal controller like rts games etc? Either way looks to be a flop, will just get the link
Wouldn't call it a flop at all. People have just gone in with completely whack expectations.

It has its uses that a normal pad or mouse/kb just wouldn't be as good for.

Some people seem to be very positive on it, but just say it will require time.

Which is just wishful thinking. Not everything is solvable through time or 'getting used to it'.

Wouldn't call it a flop at all. People have just gone in with completely whack expectations.

It has its uses that a normal pad or mouse/kb just wouldn't be as good for.

Ok true, i shouldnt have called it a flop without using it myself, just got caught up in the excitement ;)

With things like this they improve over time with support etc, we will see but for now i image my needs will be met with my current controller.

Batman ark ham knight works nicely with the controller but I keep hitting the wrong shoulder buttons for some reason .. Don't seem as well places as xbone trollers

No rumble feature that I felt just haptic on the pads ... Not the same imho

Had a fair hours with the controller and have to say that I really like it. Never have been a fan of aiming with the analogue stick and thus have never put in any time learning with one. So it's quite easy for me to prefer it over a 360 pad already.

Played some casual CSGO earlier and it was amazing how much harder it was vs real people than the 'expert' bots. Still need (a lot) more time with it and probably a lot more messing around with the config as well..

Those using the Steam Link and getting poor performance with nVidia graphics cards, are you ensuring that you have enabled Shadowplay (manual mode) through GeForce Experience?

For me it was the only way to enable NVENC in Steam streaming.

It works pretty well for the most part, only game I've had to turn down the resolution in is Witcher 3, 1080p just looked like a blocky mess, running at 900p gave far better results.

Just found a positive use for the steam controller

Mass effect 2. Works a treat finally can play the game without being hunched over a keyboard
Just played an hour using the controller over steam link and no hitches at all!!!

I must be in the minority as I've had no issues playing Rocket league or Ryse. Used it every night almost since receiving it on Friday.

Settings are set at beautiful, so far it just works. (I have a decent network)

I guess some games will come with windows related problems with pop-up dialogue boxes, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes hehe

So far it feels a lot better than it did using my HTPC(input lag)!

This is exactly my issue with it, its inconsistent and sporadic for unobvious reasons. I played Dirt Rally and if I didn't know it was streaming I'd have never guessed, it was great. But Rocket League was stuttery and laggy even though it was saying 60fps. And then a pop up crashed it.

If everyone was having issues with the same thing we might be able to find a solution, but each persons individual experience appears to vary from each other, making the whole thing feel rather unstable.

I am going to invest in a new router as I was planning to anyway and give it another go. But currently I would personally recommend a wireless controller and long HDMI cable over getting a Link.

Hmm; so received a mail from Valve about lack of full Apple Mac functionality/support or somesuch and been gifted the entire Valve Complete Pack (past, present and future apparently; roll on HL3) . Hmm may have to give CS:GO a bash then! :)

Back
Top Bottom