Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Can I assume the steam link will offer nothing more than the in-home streaming service already does if you have a second machine plugged into the tv?

Associate
I'm kind of a sucker for gaming controllers / peripherals / remote controls etc so tempted to pick one up regardless.

I built a far too over powered HTPC with the end goal of being a Steam Machine (although not as far as to install SteamOS, rather have full Windows for now and stream from within) so the steam link wont be needed.

The reality is that in over a year I've still not played a game through the HTPC, as people in the house are watching the telly when I might play a game! So I just use my desktop.

Maybe with a £40 purchase, the intrigue alone will get me gaming through the HTPC on a Saturday morning wthen the TV is free (something like the Witcher 3)

I have a 65" Plasma and surround sound in the living room, so at least the living room experience should offer something different to the desktop one.

It might well be the case that some games will suit the controller well, others will suit xbox/ps/pc controllers, and others should only be played with keyboard and mouse.

Games like Cities Skylines would look great on a big telly but I can't imagine using anything other than a mouse! Maybe us old dogs just need to try and learn new tricks!

In summary, surely the controller is worth a punt, especially for those who are already have streaming capabilities but aren't making the most of it.

Soldato
Hm, thanks. Don't really need the temptation of Steam credit sitting there in my account, honestly. lol

It might well be the case that some games will suit the controller well, others will suit xbox/ps/pc controllers, and others should only be played with keyboard and mouse.

Games like Cities Skylines would look great on a big telly but I can't imagine using anything other than a mouse! Maybe us old dogs just need to try and learn new tricks!

In summary, surely the controller is worth a punt, especially for those who are already have streaming capabilities but aren't making the most of it.
I'm not expecting too much from the Steam controller. It almost certainly looks like it *wont* be a good replacement for a regular dual analog gamepad for games designed for those in many cases.

I am hopeful it does work well with games like Cities Skylines, though. In fact, that is one of the key games I have in mind when thinking about living room PC gaming with the Steam controller. It's a very casual, relaxing game and while my office chair is great and I can sit in it all day long, sometimes it'll be nice to just stretch out on the sofa and play some Cities Skylines, some dinner on the table or whatever.

Only thing I'm worried about is I don't have the biggest TV and worry that even if the controller works well, many of the games I want to use it for wont be very playable due to the size of the UI in some of these games(like Pillars of Eternity, Civilization, Cities Skylines, etc). This is why I've only ordered the Steam Link for now. I want to try out what it will be like(can set up kb/m temporarily just to briefly test) before committing to the Steam controller. Worst case scenario - cant see **** and I'll just play the occasional consolized style game in the living room with my 360 pad. *shrugs*

Soldato
I had a request to check my address a few weeks ago. I'm part of the early access group. No email as yet. I went into my account and it has a link to view shipment details but it doesn't show anymore detail.

Soldato
I'll probably pick up one of the controllers, as it'll suit a lot of arcade-style games.

Latest release date on Steam store says Nov 10th?

Associate
Yeah I've had an email saying mine is shipped. Ordered the day it became available. Coming from Netherlands I think, will be a while yet. Tracking info after 2 days still has no shipment info available yet.

Soldato
Hmm, well like others I received the despatch notice (for controller and link) on the 1st; tracking suggesting they're using Parcelforce but tracking number is a no no. For shame.

Soldato
i preordered mine quite late, so still waiting. did get an email to verify my shipping address and it said i had to do it before the 20th so im guessing mine will ship towards the end of the month. Booo, but that's what i get for waiting lol

Soldato
Mine is still showing the same thing. Stuck in the Netherlands as "Transfer data, packet not yet received.". So slow!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom