Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Soldato
Have been wanting a controller. Might as well wait for the review of this I guess before choosing one.
Lots of reviews out there now. Here's a place with a rundown of most of them:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125051

Seems like it's exactly what I expected. Will have its uses, but definitely wont be replacing your kb/m or even traditional controller anytime soon.

Also gotta laugh at the people in the thread linked above going into full damage control mode because it's not being universally hailed and praised as the best controller ever. All of this should have been obvious from the get-go, but some people really thought it was going to be the end all of controllers and they're clearly not handling that it isn't very well.

Anyways, I still think I'm gonna get one. As most reviewers are saying, it will have its uses.

Soldato
Well they've arrived....
sl.jpg

Soldato
I WfH but I'll leave it till this evening to fiddle. However right out of the box the controller does feel "plasticy" as conveyed in previews. The link certainly feels sturdy and is pretty low key which was exactly what I wanted as my plan was to stick it behind a wall mounted TV. The big downer is the somewhat clunky interchangeable plug which means that certainly will not fit with the available sockets without modding.

Interesting, I think I'd have similar issues to your with power if I put one of these on the bedroom TV as that sits flush to the wall.

The more I read about the Steam Controller the more I think an XBone pad + wireless module might be the way to go (if compatible).

Soldato
Interesting, I think I'd have similar issues to your with power if I put one of these on the bedroom TV as that sits flush to the wall.
It's a real shame they couldn't conjure a power draw low enough to be entirely USB powered but that's likely asking way too much considering it is decoding on the fly (apparently).

Soldato
Well mine arrived (controller) and I've had a go. Interesting ;) Will take some getting used to. Reminds me of 1996 - trying to play Quake with a mouse for the first time.
Strangely portal 2 seemed pretty naff with it despite having native support. Worked really well in XCOM (used someone else's profile) but that game works pretty well with an XBOX pad anyway.

Need more time with it but optimistic atm. :p

Soldato
I've just read that you need an Ivy Bridge or later Intel CPU to enable hardware encoding - I'm still on Sandy Bridge with a GTX 970. I'm not sure how well the Steam Link is gonna work for me now.

The support page mentions some streaking with Nvidia hardware encoding which looks to be my only option.

Edit: Ignore me, I think that might be a typo on the Steam support page, the Intel Quick Sync technology they refer to is valid in my Sandy Bridge i5-2500k.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can launch them from steam then yeah (need big picture mode afaik) I tried with Crysis 3 from origin and that worked
I thought you only need BPM to configure the controller? Do you really have to launch a game in BPM just to use any custom configurations? That'd be kinda crappy.

The controller should be detected as a kb/m by basically any other application, by the way. So it'll technically 'work', but wont be configurable and probably not terribly useful for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom