Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Bingo.

I ordered a Steam Link so I'll have my first go at couch PC gaming and that's exactly why I'll probably be getting a Steam controller, for games like Civilization and Xcom and Cities Skylines and whatnot. There will hopefully be some good user configurations by then as well.

Yeh that's what I'm thinking. The Xbone pad will still be used for the majority of games but the Steam controller will be for games that typically need a KB/M like RTS and turn based games: Civ 5 and XCOM, maybe the odd shooter.

I think some people need to realise that this game works with any game, even those that don't have controller support if I'm not mistaken?

This means I can play many older games, indie games, bad ports with the controller.

However I think I need to see some reviews before I buy it. Being able to play KOTOR or Mass effect without the need to download unofficial maps that don't work would be awesome.

any one tried this wired via ethernet power plugs from one room to another? that would be my set up! when i steamed like it my pc to a laptop in the living room it was ok, but not perfect. this may have been the laptop but not sure as its not really doing much work?

cheers :)

after a couple of days using the steam link and the controller my views are

steam link - fantastic runs games buttery smooth but does require a good network infrastructure and decent gaming rig

steam controller - don't like it .. the touch pad isn't sensitive enough and the xayb buttons feel too small and in the wrong place, to get the controller mapping you have to run the game in big picture mode which I found flickers when accessing during game and some games didn't support it well

in short I will use the steam link defo but give the troller a miss!

Sounds good mate

When you say the link requires a good gaming system to use it, is that because it needs extra power from the pc to stream the games if you get what i mean? I just thought it would run and look the same as it would on your pc with a slight hit in quality due to streaming

Or will a game be more demanding over the link rather than playing it first hand on the pc? Im not really sure what im asking lol hard to describe

^^ I believe the reason it requires extra power is that the PC not only has to run the game, it also has to transcode the video output into a stream suitable to be sent across the network to the Steam-link...

So it's a little bit like you're playing a game while rendering a video at the same time - could make the machine struggle even if it can play the game fine normally

Sounds good mate

When you say the link requires a good gaming system to use it, is that because it needs extra power from the pc to stream the games if you get what i mean? I just thought it would run and look the same as it would on your pc with a slight hit in quality due to streaming

Or will a game be more demanding over the link rather than playing it first hand on the pc? Im not really sure what im asking lol hard to describe

While it's streaming it's running on your PC at same time i would imagine a less powerful machine would have issues but I can't confirm that
I saw a small hit in fps while running mad max and witcher 3 .. Still over 60fps so all good

Ok so i imagine if it plays games pretty well it should be ok, ok a 970 myself so should be fine. But wouldnt want to lower settings to get it to run as well as it would on the pc other wise i would just play there and not stream :D

Sure it will be fine!

Ok so i imagine if it plays games pretty well it should be ok, ok a 970 myself so should be fine. But wouldnt want to lower settings to get it to run as well as it would on the pc other wise i would just play there and not stream :D

Sure it will be fine!

You need to enable hardware encoding to get the best performance. Most Intel CPUs from Haswell onwards can do this, or there is hardware encoding on nvidia cards since the 650, I think. A 970 should be fine!

You need to enable hardware encoding to get the best performance. Most Intel CPUs from Haswell onwards can do this, or there is hardware encoding on nvidia cards since the 650, I think. A 970 should be fine!

Yea i think i did this when i tried normal streaming! Not sure how old her laptop is but was ok

Has anyone tried streaming games that aren't in the Steam Library but that are launched through Steam? I'd be interested to know if that works at all :)

Back
Top Bottom