Steel Division - Normandy 44

Associate
OP
I bought this today and after a 12gb download played 5 games against the ai. Did not win 1 but drew 1

The game is really good, similar to war game but much slower paced. You can actually watch and enjoy the battles. You can also increase speed or reduce if need be.

The battle is is split into 3 phases, a, b and c.

Phase A is like the scout phase, so you have access to light units and aircraft and the idea is to rush forward, there are no zones to capture as such but you can see the frontline moving in front of your lead units, the more you occupy, the more reinforcement points you get.

Most maps have two or 3 reinforcement points for ground troops and two for airforce.

Phase b and c is where you can bring more heavy troops and vehicles in, at the start of each phase you reinforcement points increase.

You cant see any health bars on the units, just a moral bar. Conscripts will pull back and be easily suppressed allowing you to force them to surrender if surrounded, elites fight to the death.

When you unload troops from non fighting vehicles the vehicles disappear, fighting transports hang around though.

When you bring on a At gun it gets towed by a jeep, when you deploy the jeep disappears but if you have a fighting transport transport nearby you can connect it up again and fast move it. The gun can also be slowly pushed around.

Tank combat is great, you knock out drivers, tracks, explode the ammo rack etc, very similar to old close combat series.

Air combat is good too, the fighters dog fight a lot, sometimes last about 2 mins before one gets shot down. Nothing like bringing a mustang into strafe conscript infantry and at guns.

Artillery is similar to wargame, however I believe you can call in off screen artillery but I have not seen this yet.

You get two maps with beta, one with a town and industrial area, another with load of hedgerows. Maps are fair bit smaller than wargame but still big enough to enjoy.

You have 4 decks to play with, allies are a us armoured division and a British infantry division. The Germans have a SS Divison and airborne division. Lots and lots of historic units there.

The only downside I can see so far is the graphics are not amazing but the game is good fun and challeging against the Ai, multiplayer will no doubt be good too.

If you liked wargame series, company of heroes or close combat series / combat mission games then you will most likely enjoy this game, it's certainly worth to try it.

Soldato
Bought his today - only had half an hour or so with it so far but seems really nicely put together. Nice graphics and mechanics with a slow enough pace it doesn't seem to devolve into Crtl+A- Tank rush for me :)

Associate
Bought this yesterday and had a quick play, seems very good, as said before like a slower version of Wargame, looking forward to spending some time getting into this!

Looks good, always enjoyed ruse and wargame although never quite got into them fully. Wargame always felt a little frantic at times with the resource zones, it was constantly capture or starve.

Associate
Really enjoying the beta, thoughts so far:

Germans win 90% of the time
German arty far too overpowered in range and force

Soldato
Bought this last week and it's fantastic can't wait for full release.

Funny you should say that I've played against Germans twice and won both times :/ maybe the guys deck wasn't kitted out well.

Last edited:
Associate
In the 10 v 10 games rare to see allied win, normally end up with mass German arty spam that you can't get at, still enjoying game but needs fixing

Associate
My end game is loads of typhoons I use as mobile hit squad to help out team, use infantry as blockers and then by phase b and c have typhoons for fun

Associate
OP
Just to confirm there will be 15 maps on release and 18 divisions. However those maps will be massive and could probably be split into 40 or so 1v1 maps.

There will be 3 campaigns, UK, USA and German.

The divisions that will be in release are:

United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Free France
Poland
Heer
Waffen-SS
Luftwaffe

It's seem that 15th Scots is the best all round division to play and the easiest with 91st LL being the hardest.

Only played against medium Ai so far but have enjoyed paying and building different decks. Look forward to going online when I can beat the Ai on hard.

I also like how the conquest and destruction game modes play very different .
This game has potential to be best rts of the year, hopefully the modding tools will be quite powerful to keep it fresh while waiting for the sure to be expansions.

Associate
It's brilliant. Just find having to manually deploy units a pain. Like creating a rifle squad... send them to a position and forget to deploy them out from the truck! Is there a way to enable auto deployment?

Associate
OP
Hold down shift and you can queue commands. You can also issue commands from deployment so you don't have to click like mad once the battle starts.

So a common move is hold shift, press f at a location and then press y on a building, so your troop truck will drive to where you press f, then the troops will unload and move to where you pressed y.

Press u to unload troops instantly.

I played online earlier, had some great games, I really like the 2nd infantry 100mm mortars. The 91st are so hard to play with though, definitely a experts division.

Last edited:
Associate
Had an excellent 10 v 10 yesterday, held off two players for 20 minutes using combo's of troops, anti air and finally typhoons when phase c arrived

If it gets enough players this will be my game.of the year

Soldato
It's brilliant. Just find having to manually deploy units a pain. Like creating a rifle squad... send them to a position and forget to deploy them out from the truck! Is there a way to enable auto deployment?

You can do what Jimjam said above or you can click on the truck, select deploy button and then click on the building you want the troops to deploy at. The truck will then drive to that building and the troops will automatically garrison inside.

Man of Honour
I am absolutely hopeless at this. Ive played a lot of the old close combat games, a lot of men of war, and 3 decades of the boardgame series Advanced Squad Leader...but so far in 1v1 against the AI, I havent scored more than 25 points lol.

Back
Top Bottom