Steel Division - Normandy 44

Associate
OP
Only
Quite interested in this :) What is the campaign like - do the missions follow on from each other or are they scattered?

There are 3 campaigns with 4 missions each. Units carry over if they survive the mission. Missions follow directly on from each other.

Associate
OP
I never played COH online, i find this game similar to the old close combat games.

There are two types of cover for infantry which is similar to COH, yellow partial cover and green full cover.

This game very much rewards combined arms. Spot enemy with recon, Suppress with artillery or aircraft then storm in with your infantry to force surrenders of enemy units.

Conquest mode is quite tricky to get the hang of but I feel it's the better mode compared to the destruction mode campfest.

You will usually be focusing on one part of the map unless you play a 1v1, 2v2 in which case you will need to keep an eye on two or three places at once.

If a player drops, their forces are now controlled by the medium Ai which does an ok job.

Man of Honour
Looks great does this. Is it easier or harder than CoH guys? I'm good at the strategy side of things, but I get flustered to easily with everything going off haha. That's the main reason I never complete CoH games

Definitely harder I would say, considerably so, when theres lots going on its easy to get overwhelmed by it all. Its much less "arcadey" than CoH

Associate
Yeah I played many many hours of COH and this is definitely harder and more in depth even though there's no 'base building'. You do get much more flexibility with your units however, and are able to create your own battlegroups

Man of Honour
My only criticism so far is that its almost impossible to play defensively. I quite like to draw up a defensive line and turtle but in this if you dont rush the enemy in order to get to the 51% map possession mark to start gaining victory points, you've as good as lost. As an example, I set up a defensive line in the battle I just did (1v1 against AI) and I threw back everything he came at me with (he had a 60% - 40% map possession though, so he was racking up victory points) , by midway through phase 3 he had expended a huge amount of his forces attacking me and I then pushed forward. In terms of a battle, it was a 100% inevitability that he would ultimately be totally destroyed as he was now so outnumbered. However, because he had nocked up the 3000 victory points he won. Its a fairly minor criticism but it just irks me as not all battles in history were won by just rushing forward at the start.

Man of Honour
this looks really good but ouch on price. might have to wait for a sale or price to drop.
plus really need a new laptop or pc.

Man of Honour
I dont know what I am doing wrong, when I play on Skirmish I can win, its tough at times but I can win. Whenever I try the Solo Campaign, I cannot even do the first mission of the campaign, must be doing something wrong. Seems crazy difficult on the campaign.

EDIT : Having said that, I did it on my next attempt :)

Last edited:
Associate
My only criticism so far is that its almost impossible to play defensively. I quite like to draw up a defensive line and turtle but in this if you dont rush the enemy in order to get to the 51% map possession mark to start gaining victory points, you've as good as lost. As an example, I set up a defensive line in the battle I just did (1v1 against AI) and I threw back everything he came at me with (he had a 60% - 40% map possession though, so he was racking up victory points) , by midway through phase 3 he had expended a huge amount of his forces attacking me and I then pushed forward. In terms of a battle, it was a 100% inevitability that he would ultimately be totally destroyed as he was now so outnumbered. However, because he had nocked up the 3000 victory points he won. Its a fairly minor criticism but it just irks me as not all battles in history were won by just rushing forward at the start.

Are there not different modes / victory conditions eg. conquest or destruction ? Your tactics would have perhaps won the day in a "destruction" game. Conquest modes almost always favour players who don't turtle.

This game has been on my radar for a while, but I just can't quite convince myself to purchase it ; I'm not convinced the game offers much for a single player - I tend not to play multiplayer, which is what this game's focus appears to be.

Man of Honour
Are there not different modes / victory conditions eg. conquest or destruction ? Your tactics would have perhaps won the day in a "destruction" game. Conquest modes almost always favour players who don't turtle.

This game has been on my radar for a while, but I just can't quite convince myself to purchase it ; I'm not convinced the game offers much for a single player - I tend not to play multiplayer, which is what this game's focus appears to be.

Yeah I think I will try a destruction mode fight instead, I'm trying to play it as a simulation of battle and battles arent about rushing about like headless chickens in order to achieve something in a 10 minute timeframe. Maybe destruction mode will better fit my style of thoughtful strategy.

Associate
Great game but multiplayer dieing quickly, less than 300 online a lot of the time with 20 minute wait for 10 v 10 games.

Soldato
Just picked this up and enjoying it so far.

One question though, what Gpu would do this justice? My 780ti doesn't seem to allow decent settings.

Back
Top Bottom