Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Caporegime
Neither can I. But Stellaris is currently the best selling game on Steam in the UK and other countries which is pretty cool.

I'm also looking forward to the mods for this game. I'm sure there will be some pretty awesome ones released shortly after the release of the game. I might even look into making one or two of my own to keep the game interesting. I've looked into modding other Paradox games but haven't actually had the time to sit down and dedicate the time needed to it. Maybe the release of Stellaris will be the motivation that I need.

Plus Hearts of Iron 4 will be out in June as well so that is two awesome games to look forward too. That'll be another definite pre-order for me.

iirc theyve already released tools for converting 3d mopdels for use in the game
im expecting full federation fleet designs by the end of ther first week :p

Associate
Cant decide whether to buy this or not. Watched the first 8 of Quills videos (~5hr there) and ~1hr of Arumba', but cant shake the feeling that it'd be something where i play it once or twice and thats about it. I enjoy these sort of games, but they're rarely something i repeatedly play, and ive no interest in MP.

I miss the games like C&C (completely different game, i know) where you'd have a campaign from different POV's and then the skirmish game. This & Civ drop the campaign and expand upon the skirmish, but i've always felt like once you've got to a certain point, wiping the AI and unlocking most of the tech, it hasnt got something to make me go back in. The huge variety of races/nations dont have enough difference that they play similar to the GDI vs NOD dynamic, balanced but quite different - not hugely different either, i suppose, but not '+5% fire rate, -10% powerplants' either which from what ive seen so far is kinda what this seems like, minor modifiers to cosmetically different races. Its like the huge variety requires more trivial changes, because fundamental differences are too complicated to balance out.

Are there races in Stellaris which have completely different strengths, access to different tech, rather than being trivial alterations and philosophical beliefs?
I've really not seen or heard enough about their fundamental differences to know if they go beyond minor variations, where cheaper construction makes it easier to build mines to offset the higher cost of military units, making it all fairly inconsequential. There are races like the squid & cloud things (at least in ship terms), and robotic races i believe - do they each have things that other races simply dont have, which make them distinctly different, and can we play as them too, cos that strikes me as having the ability to stretch the game out a fair bit further, rather than simply humanoid beings with space-ship looking space-ships, with slightly different philosophies and benefits to overcome, and playing as space cats is no different to space hippos if they play pretty much the same.

So, are there substantially different races to start with, for a rock-paper-scissors balance, or are those things simply determined by things like travel mode, race modifiers, diplomacy etc?

Caporegime
Cant decide whether to buy this or not. Watched the first 8 of Quills videos (~5hr there) and ~1hr of Arumba', but cant shake the feeling that it'd be something where i play it once or twice and thats about it. I enjoy these sort of games, but they're rarely something i repeatedly play, and ive no interest in MP.

I miss the games like C&C (completely different game, i know) where you'd have a campaign from different POV's and then the skirmish game. This & Civ drop the campaign and expand upon the skirmish, but i've always felt like once you've got to a certain point, wiping the AI and unlocking most of the tech, it hasnt got something to make me go back in. The huge variety of races/nations dont have enough difference that they play similar to the GDI vs NOD dynamic, balanced but quite different - not hugely different either, i suppose, but not '+5% fire rate, -10% powerplants' either which from what ive seen so far is kinda what this seems like, minor modifiers to cosmetically different races. Its like the huge variety requires more trivial changes, because fundamental differences are too complicated to balance out.

Are there races in Stellaris which have completely different strengths, access to different tech, rather than being trivial alterations and philosophical beliefs?
I've really not seen or heard enough about their fundamental differences to know if they go beyond minor variations, where cheaper construction makes it easier to build mines to offset the higher cost of military units, making it all fairly inconsequential. There are races like the squid & cloud things (at least in ship terms), and robotic races i believe - do they each have things that other races simply dont have, which make them distinctly different, and can we play as them too, cos that strikes me as having the ability to stretch the game out a fair bit further, rather than simply humanoid beings with space-ship looking space-ships, with slightly different philosophies and benefits to overcome, and playing as space cats is no different to space hippos if they play pretty much the same.

So, are there substantially different races to start with, for a rock-paper-scissors balance, or are those things simply determined by things like travel mode, race modifiers, diplomacy etc?

well you will have to dealwith your empire breaking up/changing ethos.

the techs arent atree they come up random so you may never get some techs

along with the crazy events.

Associate
Thats a good point about it being more random with the tech unlocks, although its still tree-like, you just dont have 100% control over what you unlock and in what order, so you could have good starts and bad starts.

I just dont know whether theres something to the game that will provide enough of a new experience. That seems to be the biggest problem with ProcGen content, they're never identical, but they're never really different either.

Just watching a video which goes through custom race creation and i guess by creating diverse races to play as each time, using traits and politics/philosophies, you could create a race that benefits you to play to its strengths making it play differently.

I wouldnt mind, but i made my own custom flag emblem earlier in the day (from an existing logo), but cant decide whether to buy it :D :(

Caporegime
Thats a good point about it being more random with the tech unlocks, although its still tree-like, you just dont have 100% control over what you unlock and in what order, so you could have good starts and bad starts.

I just dont know whether theres something to the game that will provide enough of a new experience. That seems to be the biggest problem with ProcGen content, they're never identical, but they're never really different either.

Just watching a video which goes through custom race creation and i guess by creating diverse races to play as each time, using traits and politics/philosophies, you could create a race that benefits you to play to its strengths making it play differently.

I wouldnt mind, but i made my own custom flag emblem earlier in the day (from an existing logo), but cant decide whether to buy it :D :(

its 20 quid, worth a punt :p

i think things like the AI uprising could add some spice to the late game.

also one funny think is you could once you get robots or another race in you population over the course of the game completely purge your original race and replace them with a differnt one/robots :p

Soldato
Im really looking forward to it and cant wait to play some sort of grotesque zerg like alien race thats only objective is to devour the universe with the name of bunny mcflaps.

Soldato
I'm so hyped about this. Apparently it will unlock at 6 or 7pm tomorrow. I think I'll have trouble going to sleep tomorrow night. I might get highly addicted to the game and then realise that is 1am or something.

Soldato
Pre-ordered it, off Tuesday/Wednesday! Can't wait.

Slavery is broken though at launch apparently, slaves can't currently rebel but not sure what that means for play style.

Back
Top Bottom