Stephen Hawkins Universe - Time Travel

Permabanned
You seem to miss the point, I quoted your post not the OP, it is your post that contains 99.99r which is 100 :confused:

Why not just put 100?

because 99.9999999999 and so on is not 100. 100 in this case is infinite. The equation demands precision due the huge changes in the result by just one decimal place.

Caporegime
Okay, here's a silly scenario. Let's say each twin had a calendar and a clock and both ticked off each day. When the twin gets back to earth, surely they will have ticked off the same amount of days right? Or am I being utterly stupid? :D

Yes, I'm not a physics person

the clocks would lose sync, see my first post in this thread about the GPS system that gains 3 billionth's of a second each day.

Caporegime
Hawkings might be a smart man but as I've said before all of this time travel craic is not possible given it would take an infinite amount of energy to travel at the speed of light.

That's why it's 99.9 :p

Even to get close to it wouldn't be possible. Even if we did manage to achieve them speeds,

We've gotten particles to 99.something C and then slammed them into other particles going 99.something C the other way.

the human body could not withstand such a speed. Your organs would be mush.

That's acceleration not speed, you could accelerate at 1G for several months/years and get there fine of course once you reached that speed and stopped accelerating your artificial gravity would go :p

Permabanned
Okay, here's a silly scenario. Let's say each twin had a calendar and a clock and both ticked off each day. When the twin gets back to earth, surely they will have ticked off the same amount of days right? Or am I being utterly stupid? :D

Yes, I'm not a physics person

No, ship time would be halved due to time dilation.

Soldato
so in star trek why is it when they go back home everyone is the same age surely voyagers crew would be only 4-5 years old but considering voyager spent 3 months at warp 9.6 (205 trillion KMH)(1.9x light speed) surely everyone on earth would be years older yet when they returned they looked the same lol

this is all according to my star trek fact files collection and they're warp speed explanation

i'll just stick to star trek theory it's easier to understand

Soldato
Found it really interesting, I just don't understand going that fast in space. Say we did manage to reach those speeds one day, how would we manoeuvre through space debris such as asteroids?

Caporegime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_constant

acceleration of a mass the size of a starship would cause inertia and g forces.

only to the ship, not the bodies inside, they are along for the ride, if the ship stops moving suddenly, the bodies are still moving forward at the same speed, so need seat belts.

thats why astronauts dont experience black outs from G like a fighter pilot, or need a G suit.

Last edited:
Soldato
so in star trek why is it when they go back home everyone is the same age surely voyagers crew would be only 4-5 years old but considering voyager spent 3 months at warp 9.6 (205 trillion KMH)(1.9x light speed) surely everyone on earth would be years older yet when they returned they looked the same lol

this is all according to my star trek fact files collection and they're warp speed explanation

Don't they bend space/time rather than accelerate the ship though?

Permabanned

Startrek invented 'subspace' the 'warp field' envelopes the ship and then moves the ship through subspace thus fictionally negating the paradoxes. Much like folding the space between two points on a paper map.

Back
Top Bottom