Stephen Hawkins Universe - Time Travel

Caporegime
Ahh I see what ya mean now :)

:)

One thing that messes with your head is think you're standing on the surface of the earth that is spinning very fast (you're relatively moving hundreds of miles an hour compared to the centre) the earth itself is then orbiting the sun at tens to hundreds of thousands of miles a second, the sun is orbiting the centre of the galaxy at an equally incredible speed, and then the galaxy itself it flying though space at god knows what speed.

So do you feel like you're moving in half a dozen different directions at thousands of miles a second?

:D

Permabanned
Yes it is 0.99r IS 1, and is accepted as that.

1/9=0.111r
9/9=1=0.99r

Not relativistically it isnt. When the value 100 is infinity, 99.99r is not 100, because 100 is infinity thus the proof is actually that 100=99.999r as 100 is unobtainable as a value. hence the exponential growth toward infinity.

Last edited:
Caporegime
only on the earth, because gravity is pulling you down, its what keeps your feet on the ground, this is primary school stuff.

the further you are away from the earth(a large mass with gravity) the less you are experiencing, don't confuse the two(what happens here and out there)

G force (as in acceleration) is not caused by gravity.

Yes gravity pulls you down, but it doesn't cause you to be pushed into the seat of your car when you accelerate that is G force due to acceleration that happens wherever you are.

the two forces are unrelated.

Seriously are you honestly telling me you think the force caused by acceleration only exists in a gravitational field?

You think if the international space station suddenly came to a stop the astronauts wouldn't be thrown through the opposite side of the hull?

Man of Honour
but a fighter pilot travelling at a constant speed who then does some rolls/flips needs the suit to stop blacking out.

the space shuttle does rolls and flips in space when docking or showing the underside to a space station camera for missing tiles. yet the astronauts dont need G suits as they dont experience any forces on there bodies.

gravity only exists near a mass, the further away you get the smaller it is.

The key pont, I think, is to chuck out the word "speed" because it's the wrong word.

Or maybe it's to chuck out the word "gravity" because it's the wrong word.

It's about velocity, not speed and about force, not gravity. Forces apply on your body when you change velocity, regardless of what happens to your speed or how much or little gravity is affecting you from any mass.

An easy real-world example is to drive (or be a passenger in) a car cornering at a constant speed. Force will be exerted on you seperately from the force of gravity. You can tell that easily because gravity will be exerting a force on you downwards and the change in velocity will be exerting a force on you sideways.

When a fighter pilot does harsh maneuvering, they are making very large changes to their velocity in very short periods of time regardless of what happens to their speed. This results in large forces being exerted on them, over 50N in many cases.

Apart from takeoff, the space shuttle doesn't change velocity anywhere near as rapidly as a fighter plane maneuvering. So the force on the people inside it is far, far smaller.

Caporegime
thats not gravity but momentum,:D

Which is what we've been telling you for three pages.

"g-force" is simply the force exerted upon you by acceleration ( or as angillion says more accurately change in velocity) it only has G/gravity in it to put it in context it has absolutely nothing to do with gravity.

Accelerate harshly in space and you will feel the G forces exactly the same as you would on earth.

Caporegime
if the fighter pilot does a barrel roll(which keeps the same speed forwards) he experiences G

Yes because he changes velocity, velocity is not simply a speed it has a directional component.

Put a pilot in space fighter and do the same manoeuvre and he'd also experience the same force

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Found it really interesting, I just don't understand going that fast in space. Say we did manage to reach those speeds one day, how would we manoeuvre through space debris such as asteroids?

You could navigate around asteroids, probably. Even an asteroid belt has vast gaps between asteroids and near-c speeds are generally considered only in between solar systems anyway, i.e. away from asteroids. But if you're banging around in real space at .99c or so, sooner or later you'll hit something sizeable. It's not like you're going to be able to see it coming, not even on instruments. Whatever the instruments are using to scan with would get back to your ship at best just very slightly before you hit it.

The constant problem at such high speeds would be the tiny stuff. With that much relative velocity, anything with mass will ram straight through your ship when you hit it. Even deep space between solar systems isn't completely empty.

Sci-fi handles it with some kind of deflector field that redirects everything with any mass around the ship rather than through it. Might be possible.

Man of Honour
not really as full impulse is only 0.25x the speed of light (270 million KPH) speed of light is just over 1 billion KPH so time would be the same at full impulse

No, it wouldn't. Time dilation at 0.25c is quite significant. It would be mental trying to run a massive organisation when time is frequently running at different rates for different people. Stuff just wouldn't match up. Variations measured in hours wouldn't matter for a society sending one or two missions off to be the first of their people to go that deep into space, but they'd play havoc with a massive bureaucracy in which it occurs thousands of times per day, interacting with other bureaucracies in which it occurs thousands of times per day.

Permabanned

You're not getting it. We are not taking about absolute values here. 100 is unobtainable, thus the exponential growth continues toward infinity thus 99.99r not being 100 because 100 is infinity and the process stops, but it cannot because the growth incured is also infinite... so 99.99r = infinity.

in other words there is no such number as 100 as there is no completion in this instance.

Otherwise I concede the point.

Last edited:
Associate
You're not getting it. We are not taking about absolute values here. 100 is unobtainable, thus the exponential growth continues toward infinity thus 99.99r not being 100 because 100 is infinity and the process stops, but it cannot because the growth incured is also infinite...

in other words there is no such number as 100 as there is no completion.

We are talking mathematics, the same mathematics that physics relies upon.

Just because you do not understand it does not make it wrong.

You are wrong, I have posted the proof, understand and accept it or live in ignorance. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. ;)

Man of Honour
if the fighter pilot does a barrel roll(which keeps the same speed forwards) he experiences G

No he doesn't, because G is the gravitational constant. He experiences a force which can be expressed relative to g, the strength of the local gravitational field (but doesn't have to be, as it's not about gravity).

If a pilot does a barrel roll, they are changing their velocity because they are rotating. So they experience force in the opposite direction to their change in velocity.

Back
Top Bottom