Stephen Hawkins Universe - Time Travel

Caporegime
So this means at the speed of light our organs would turn to mush then? That's what I always thought.

No only if you accelerated instantly/very rapidly to that speed, just like if i accelerated you to 100mph in 0.1 seconds you'd die, accelerate slowly and you're fine.

Soldato
Technically time travel is possibly, even back in time ... it just would have to be inter-dimensional travel (infinite number of dimensions, due to the infinite number of choices).... this means that there is a dimension where "life" started 100 years later than it did in our dimension, but then progressed exactly the same, meaning that you can go to that dimension and be 100 years in the past

Man of Honour
Not really!

I'll have a stab explaining what I think they meant...

Try to stop thinking of time and space as seperate things and instead think of spacetime as one thing.

We are all moving through spacetime at a constant rate.

That rate can be made up of any combination of movement in space and movement in time, but the total must remain constant.

It follows that increasing your movement in space must decrease your movement in time.

Permabanned
I'll have a stab explaining what I think they meant...

Try to stop thinking of time and space as seperate things and instead think of spacetime as one thing.

We are all moving through spacetime at a constant rate.

That rate can be made up of any combination of movement in space and movement in time, but the total must remain constant.

It follows that increasing your movement in space must decrease your movement in time.

I understand the physics, I didn't understand his post, I wasn't entirely serious....different thing.:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Startrek invented 'subspace' the 'warp field' envelopes the ship and then moves the ship through subspace thus fictionally negating the paradoxes. Much like folding the space between two points on a paper map.

Unfortunately for Star Trek, their sublight drives don't use warp field technology and thus time dilation would apply. So you'd be fine at warp, but moving at impulse would play havoc with time dilation effects. Nothing as major as going on a mission for a year and returning to find that a millenia has passed and everything is completely different, but it would make it impossible to organise anything considering how much very fast sublight travel there is in Star Trek.

Soldato
Startrek invented 'subspace' the 'warp field' envelopes the ship and then moves the ship through subspace thus fictionally negating the paradoxes. Much like folding the space between two points on a paper map.

thought this only applied to warp 10 where you would occupy all space in time at the same moment hence you could just appear where you wanted to

Caporegime
they do wear g suits but they only accelerate during launch after that they just travel at a constant speed.

but a fighter pilot travelling at a constant speed who then does some rolls/flips needs the suit to stop blacking out.

the space shuttle does rolls and flips in space when docking or showing the underside to a space station camera for missing tiles. yet the astronauts dont need G suits as they dont experience any forces on there bodies.

gravity only exists near a mass, the further away you get the smaller it is, it was all in tonights program.

Last edited:
Soldato
but a fighter pilot travelling at a constant speed who then does some rolls/flips needs the suit to stop blacking out.

the space shuttle does rolls and flips in space when docking or showing the underside to a space station camera for missing tiles. yet the astronauts dont need G suits as they dont experience any forces on there bodies.

Space shuttle rolls pretty slowly ... no sudden accel

Caporegime

When a fighter pilot does a roll or a loop he loses/gains a lot of speed and he turns incredably quickly

the space shuttle does rolls and flips in space when docking or showing the underside to a space station camera for missing tiles.

Yes which is done slowly and carefully.

When you go around a corner slowly in your car are you thrown into the side of the door as if you've just pulled a spin at top speed?

or when you gently brake and park are you thrown though the windscreen as if you'd just decelerated from 60 to 0 in a few feet like in a crash?

yet the astronauts dont need G suits as they dont experience any forces on there bodies.

They do it's just very little because it's done slowly.

gravity only exists near a mass, the further away you get the smaller it is, it was all in tonights program.

Yes, but G-forces are caused by acceleration not gravity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

1 G just means you're accelerating a 9.8m/s^2 (roughly)

Soldato
Unfortunately for Star Trek, their sublight drives don't use warp field technology and thus time dilation would apply. So you'd be fine at warp, but moving at impulse would play havoc with time dilation effects. Nothing as major as going on a mission for a year and returning to find that a millenia has passed and everything is completely different, but it would make it impossible to organise anything considering how much very fast sublight travel there is in Star Trek.

not really as full impulse is only 0.25x the speed of light (270 million KPH) speed of light is just over 1 billion KPH so time would be the same at full impulse

Caporegime
Yes, but G-forces are caused by acceleration not gravity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

1 G just means you're accelerating a 9.8m/s^2 (roughly)

only on the earth, because gravity is pulling you down, its what keeps your feet on the ground, this is primary school stuff.

the further you are away from the earth(a large mass with gravity) the less you are experiencing, don't confuse the two(what happens here and out there)

Back
Top Bottom