• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Still using trusty Q6600

Man of Honour
150% higher performance in only 14% of the TDP ;)

If you are doing your homework though what difference does 150% higher performance make? and you'd have to be using both CPUs flat out at 100% load for like 10 years (not an exaggeration) to save enough on the power bill to cover the cost of changing from a perfectly functional system.

I don't get your point.

Permabanned
If you are doing your homework though what difference does 150% higher performance make? and you'd have to be using both CPUs flat out at 100% load for like 10 years (not an exaggeration) to save enough to cover the cost of changing from a perfectly functional system.

I don't get your point.

It still lacks instructions and cannot play 4K video in YouTube, for example.

Man of Honour

Assumedly if people cared about those aspects (you can use the GPU to accelerate 4K video anyhow) they'd have upgraded before now. So I still don't get your point.

Associate
I built an i5-750 gaming system around release (oct 2009), since then it has seen 3 different GPUs and an SSD upgrade, latterly upgrading to a xeon 3470 for the fun of it as they were £20 on Ebay (i figured the extra 4 threads would give me some breathing space as a stop gap). Some games are noticeably cpu bound though, such as Kingdom Come Deliverance, so i am waiting impatiently for the latest Zen chips to release and assess from there. Keep looking and getting tempted by some of the mobo bundle deals on ryzen 2000 though, intel have priced themselves out this time unfortunately.

Caporegime
From reading your comments I'm not sure you merit a serious reply, but here goes anyway. They use a 1080p screen and the system is on for an average of about 30 minutes each day.

Any power consumption saving would probably never pay back in present value terms and have you considered the environmental impact of everyone chucking away usable systems, to save 30p a year on electricity?

Permabanned
From reading your comments I'm not sure you merit a serious reply, but here goes anyway. They use a 1080p screen and the system is on for an average of about 30 minutes each day.

Any power consumption saving would probably never pay back in present value terms and have you considered the environmental impact of everyone chucking away usable systems, to save 30p a year on electricity?

It's like wanting to payback a ticket for the cinema or a ticket for a concert. Ask your kids what their classmates and friends have as systems. Maybe some of them have Ryzen 7 2700X plus RX Vega 64.
This is why I say it's never a good idea to leave your children with old, inferior, lacking functions and features old technology.

Caporegime
It's like wanting to payback a ticket for the cinema or a ticket for a concert. Ask your kids what their classmates and friends have as systems. Maybe some of them have Ryzen 7 2700X plus RX Vega 64.
This is why I say it's never a good idea to leave your children with old, inferior, lacking functions and features old technology.
My kids are 7 and 4. I'm sure they'll be fine without a Ryzen lol.

Associate

You will probably find these days most kids have xbox's or PS4's.

Soldato
My kids are 7 and 4. I'm sure they'll be fine without a Ryzen lol.
I chuckled a bit :p. When I started my journey into the PC world I was 9 and the equipment was from before I was even born and I had a blast and if I did break something it didn't matter cause it was old and cheap stuff to replace. I see no reason to give my kid the newest tech there is when stuff that is older will do the job just fine.

Soldato
I've been running an i5 2500k and GTX580 3Gb SLI since three weeks before my son was born (Nov' 2011).

He's just turned 7.

I'm amazed at how much value I've had out of the build:
New SSD in 2013
Doubled RAM to 64Gb as DDR3 was being phased out - with a replacement motherboard last year, when I stupidly bent one of the CPU pins whilst installing new cooler - I nearly cried. The replacement board cost £200! (Sealed, factory fresh, despite being nearly 7 years old).
It's been running perfectly and only now just starting to show its age (Hellblade + 4K TV)

I've finally bit the bullet to upgrade - Ryzen 2600X/X470, 3200mhz Memory and 2080Ti will arrive tomorrow...

I'm hoping I notice a *slight* difference in performance - Minecraft & Peppa Pig* in 4k should be glorious!

(*My three Crotch-Frogs have shown great interest in PC gaming, after I updated the case to a Cooltek/Jonsbo W2 with Kraken X62 cooler - they loved the RGB so much, I've had to put light strips down the back of the bunk beds and behind their TV!)

Soldato
Not a Q6600 but like RedMogg ive been banging away with old tech for years now. Still on my I7 920 and only doubled the RAM, added an SSD and changed the GPU twice in the 8 years its been running.

Some games it struggles a bit and others its perfectly fine for 1080p gaming. For some reason insurgency sandstorm im struggling on 35fps lol but bf5 60-70fps on ultra with 1-2 maps dropping to 40-50.

Im waiting to see what Ryzen 3 brings before i bite the bullet for a core component upgrade and i'll be looking for 3-4 years solid use before im tempted again as admittedly I've left it too long but in all honesty my rigs done everything ive asked so far

Soldato
Not a Q6600 but like RedMogg ive been banging away with old tech for years now. Still on my I7 920 and only doubled the RAM, added an SSD and changed the GPU twice in the 8 years its been running.

Some games it struggles a bit and others its perfectly fine for 1080p gaming. For some reason insurgency sandstorm im struggling on 35fps lol but bf5 60-70fps on ultra with 1-2 maps dropping to 40-50.

Im waiting to see what Ryzen 3 brings before i bite the bullet for a core component upgrade and i'll be looking for 3-4 years solid use before im tempted again as admittedly I've left it too long but in all honesty my rigs done everything ive asked so far

Any reason you haven't shoved an X56** in there?

Simply an amazing upgrade for £25+/-

For gaming mine (4.5Ghz) chews up any multi-cored game you care to mention and is no slouch at single core either.

Soldato
Any reason you haven't shoved an X56** in there?

Simply an amazing upgrade for £25+/-

For gaming mine (4.5Ghz) chews up any multi-cored game you care to mention and is no slouch at single core either.
Ive thought about it however i think a ram slot on the mobo is on the way out as sometimes it only picks up 10gb not 12gb and having tested with spare ram I'm sure its on the blink so i would need another mobo and i would much rather save the £25 for the chip and maybe another £25 for a 2nd hand board and put it to a new rig

Man of Honour
impressed with the age of some of the processors on here, im suprised the caps on the motherboards havent gone poof with age

Depends a bit on the motherboard - some like Gigabyte started using solid state capacitors which should last around 25 years in the kind of conditions in the average PC. A well made motherboard that is adequately cooled can last a long time.

Associate
25 years! wow dont think ive ever kept a board much past about 3 and a half years, tho thinking about it when i was a teenager think i had an old 486 dx that must have been atleast 5 or six year old, mostly worked ok too apart from hdd bad sectors and annoying irq conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom