• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stop Overclocking.... really?!

Soldato
You can't really expect to sell an unlocked processor at a premium and then tell users not to use that function.

I wonder if some processors are getting pump out effect like people have experienced when delidding

Caporegime
Where does it actually say stop overclocking?

"We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called 'de-lidding'). These actions will void the processor warranty."

Given the premium they charge for 'k' CPU's its a complete **** take to tell people not to OC.

Soldato
It is really saying that they can't identify any random temp spikes on their end, so they're assuming that these high temps are a result of bad overclocking. If they can't replicate the issue then that's about as much as they can say tbh.

Caporegime
It is really saying that they can't identify any random temp spikes on their end, so they're assuming that these high temps are a result of bad overclocking. If they can't replicate the issue then that's about as much as they can say tbh.

"No, we tested this ourselves and we can't replicate the reported temperature issues, its all the users fault, our products don't have these problems"

Oh ok Intel, yes i'm really sorry, my bad.

Soldato
I think it's more a disclaimer as they can't stop people running silly voltages with inappropriate cooling, if something goes wrong who's fault is that? The end users.
They are not saying don't overclock, they are saying your millage may vary, so we don't recommend it.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

The k varients have higher stock clocks than thier equivalents, but they obviously can't give a guarantee that all k's will safely oc to' x' with 'x' volts as it's not that simple and would cause them a returns headache.

Some retailers will charge a premium for binned and tested chips, and provide 3rd party warranty but i think the manufacturer isn't interested in testing individual chips, they understandably imo, say all these chips will do xMHZ, any more than that and you're on your own, good luck.

Caporegime
AMD's most recent reaction to OC criticisms, IE with Ryzen, was to explain how best to overclock it.

Contrast that....

Edit... here it is....

http://download.amd.com/documents/A...AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

The disclaimers are still there.

WARNING: AMD processors, including chipsets, CPUs, APUs and GPUs (collectively and individually “AMD processor”), are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications and factory settings. Operating your AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings, including but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of this overclocking software, even if such software has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or an entity otherwise affiliated in any way with AMD), may damage your processor, affect the operation of your processor or the security features therein and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to damage to your system components (including your motherboard and components thereon (e.g., memory)), system instabilities (e.g., data loss and corrupted images), reduction in system performance, shortened processor, system component and/or system life, and in extreme cases, total system failure. It is recommended that you save any important data before using the tool. AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings. You may also not receive support or service from your board or system manufacturer. Please make sure you have saved all important data before using this overclocking software. DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY

And

This information describes methods to change factory settings and operate the processor outside of AMD’s published operating specifications. Recipient understands that operation of the product outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any AMD warranty and that overclocking of the processor may impact its functionality and longevity

Using AMD's overclocking software will "officially" void your warranty.

I see nothing wrong with the Intel response. Overclocking etc are all discretion as far as I'm concerned. Although in the last 6 or so years the lines are blurred to the point of irrelevancy (It's far more openly talked about, advertised etc)

To me this is another "Lets take a pot shot at Intel" moment.

Associate
Finally some backlash from the **** TIM they've been using for the past how many generations.
This may give them a kick up the ass to start soldering again.

actually the TIM is fine, it's the silicone glue being slightly too thick with kabylake causing the issues.

you could delid, leave stock TIM in place, and just remove the black silicone and get the same temp reduction as using an aftermarket TIM.

it's merely that due to the smallest fraction of an amount too much silicone that the IHS isn't making enough contact with the chip, hence why it's not the same for all kabylake cpus.

for example my 7700k runs 5ghz 1.4v and never exceeds 55c whilst gaming, or 75c running prime/realbench for hours, with a kraken x62.

Soldato
I delidded my skylake and temps dropped 10c with better paste under load. Idle temps did not change, I left the remenants of the (silicone?) sealent round the edges and replaced the metal plate (ihs?)... Mainly as I was concerned about too much of a gap between the naked chip and the cooler not making good enough contact. I'd consider that a decent result as the load temps with a fairly decent OC went from 'a bit warm' to 'quite acceptable'.

Obviously my warranty is well and truly voided, but I've got a decent OC and decent temps at reasonable voltage, so I'm not concerned.

Soldato
I really wish people would stop buying Intel's CPUs, they are a shambles of a company for enthusiasts and the sooner people stop seeking that last 5% performance at any price the faster real competition can return and we all benefit.

Associate
I really wish people would stop buying Intel's CPUs, they are a shambles of a company for enthusiasts and the sooner people stop seeking that last 5% performance at any price the faster real competition can return and we all benefit.

yeah I mean everyone should have been buying faildozer cpus for the last 5 years so we could have had lovely cpu bottlenecks right?

Soldato
Given the premium they charge for 'k' CPU's its a complete **** take to tell people not to OC.

Where does it actually say stop overclocking? Again.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”). These actions will void the processor warranty.

From what I read it does not. Grrr Intel must hate.

Back
Top Bottom