• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stop Overclocking.... really?!

Whut? Who else locked the CPU's they sold after many, many, many years of them be multiplier unlocked, answer no one. Intel started locking the CPU's, then the made the unlocked 'K' series and sold the unlock as a value add.

Please educate me if I am wrong.

My Phenom II X6 1055T wasn't multiplier unlocked, to get an unlocked chip cost more.

Whut? Who else locked the CPU's they sold after many, many, many years of them be multiplier unlocked, answer no one. Intel started locking the CPU's, then the made the unlocked 'K' series and sold the unlock as a value add.

Please educate me if I am wrong.

That's true and that's what Intel are guilty of.

But that's a different discussion.

No chip manufacturer guarantees overclocking beyond the stock specifications. Your millage may vary, buyer beware etc.

Some chips just aren't good clockers.

That's true and that's what Intel are guilty of.

But that's a different discussion.

No chip manufacturer guarantees overclocking beyond the stock specifications. Your millage may vary, buyer beware etc.

Some chips just aren't good clockers.

As far as I'm aware it's always been possible to buy locked and unlocked CPU's.

Overclocking wasn't as it is today.

That's true, again Intel forced motherboard manufacturers to stop them using UEFI's with BCLK overclocking enabled, on CPU's that were not 'K' series chips on Skylake generation.

But yep, back in the good old days of FSB overclocking, and buying the best chip with the highest multiplier, to eek the best bang per buck, proper overclocking. :)

That's true, again Intel forced motherboard manufacturers to stop them using UEFI's with BCLK overclocking enabled, on CPU's that were not 'K' series chips on Skylake generation.

But yep, back in the good old days of FSB overclocking, and buying the best chip with the highest multiplier, to eek the best bang per buck, proper overclocking. :)

When you're loading everything against Intel as the bad guy, I guess it doesn't matter what's fact or fiction.
I believe that both AMD and Intel are guilty of not adopting a modern stance in an official capacity to overclocking.

Frankly, I don't agree with locked chips at all, they should all be unlocked, if you buy a lesser chip for overclocking, you take the risk of getting a lesser binned chip.

When you're loading everything against Intel as the bad guy, I guess it doesn't matter what's fact or fiction.
I believe that both AMD and Intel are guilty of not adopting a modern stance in an official capacity to overclocking.

Frankly, I don't agree with locked chips at all, they should all be unlocked, if you buy a lesser chip for overclocking, you take the risk of getting a lesser binned chip.

Totally agree.

Are you implying that I made that up?

Wrong end of the stick. You have however posted with a rather loaded attitude against Intel, and as proven (Which you agreed to) locked multipliers existed long before the K series, as FSB hasn't existed since socket 1366, and locked multipliers weren't exclusive to Intel.

Although I don't agree with the concept that Intel stopped in regards to removing an exploitation to overclock none K Intel chips.

That said, I don't think they should be locked in the first place.

Wrong end of the stick. You have however posted with a rather loaded attitude against Intel, and as proven (Which you agreed to) locked multipliers existed long before the K series, as FSB hasn't existed since socket 1366, and locked multipliers weren't exclusive to Intel.

The topic is about Intel, and as I said previously they didn't really have any true competition from AMD as the offerings were not great (imo and market share). I don't like any company who is divisive about taking away functionality, then selling it back. Why didn't they just leave the BCLK on Z170 alone, what harm was is doing to them if they don't recommend overclocking anyway.

I want what is best for the consumer, which is me, and at least w hopefully will have that again with AMD now competing again.

The topic is about Intel, and as I said previously they didn't really have any true competition from AMD as the offerings were not great (imo and market share). I don't like any company who is divisive about taking away functionality, then selling it back. Why didn't they just leave the BCLK on Z170 alone, what harm was is doing to them if they don't recommend overclocking anyway.

I want what is best for the consumer, which is me, and at least w hopefully will have that again with AMD now competing again.

You said that Intel started locking CPU's after years and years and years of selling unlocked CPU's, but that's not the case. Locked and unlocked CPU's existed from both AMD and Intel well before AMD's lack of competing products.

And I agree that I want what's best for the consumer, which is why I bought a Ryzen 1700.

Actually that's exactly the case, then they started charging a premium for ones that were partially/fully unlocked.

How long ago was this?
I certainly remember any core 2 duo I used being locked, but so were any AMD CPU I used at the time.

But overclocking existed long before I ever got into PC's.

But either way, things didn't just suddenly get locked starting with the K's, which is more my point. It didn't just start in 2011.

Once they put more gubbins on board the CPU..

Q6600's weren't unlocked as such, you had to balance FSB and mem OC and various voltages, pci and NB, to OC, and that's only ten years ago.

Kids have it easy these days. Just turn up the multiplier.

Once they put more gubbins on board the CPU..

Q6600's weren't unlocked as such, you had to balance FSB and mem OC and various voltages, pci and NB, to OC, and that's only ten years ago.

Kids have it easy these days. Just turn up the multiplier.

Indeed not to mention back in the day Solder mod, Then came in JUMPER overclocking then some poor attempts of Bios Overclocking.
Now motherboards OC cpus with auto button click haha

in the games I play, and titles I'm currently on my 'to play' steam library, it's about 20-40 fps difference, which is fairly significant to me.

z270 platform still has coffeelake to come out, do the platform certainly isn't dead?

Hiya mate,

Can you list these games please and list where you find them 20-40fps slower? im definitely interested in reading this, will be interesting to see which games Ryzen is this much slower on, im looking at upgrading from my 4770k to a new CPU soon and been looking at Zen once it settles down, so interested to see where its falling short in particular game(s) etc

Rumours say that Intel will be back using soldering instead of crap TIM for Kaby Lake-X for 5GHz out of the box without de-lidding. It's good to see AMD Ryzen applying some pressure on Intel! But I strongly doubt whether Intel has the time to modify the mass production procedure.

Back
Top Bottom