• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stop Overclocking.... really?!

Soldato
yeah I mean everyone should have been buying faildozer cpus for the last 5 years so we could have had lovely cpu bottlenecks right?
No, I mean now. Even when Ryzen was released there were plenty of people saying an i7-7700K is a better buy. I don't think those people are thinking long term enough about the market.

Caporegime
actually the TIM is fine, it's the silicone glue being slightly too thick with kabylake causing the issues.

you could delid, leave stock TIM in place, and just remove the black silicone and get the same temp reduction as using an aftermarket TIM.

it's merely that due to the smallest fraction of an amount too much silicone that the IHS isn't making enough contact with the chip, hence why it's not the same for all kabylake cpus.

for example my 7700k runs 5ghz 1.4v and never exceeds 55c whilst gaming, or 75c running prime/realbench for hours, with a kraken x62.

If the HS is sitting on the Glue rather than on the PCB that just shoddy workmanship, which is worse than using crap TIM instead of solder.

Soldato
It's all getting to be of a bit sad, tiresome debate.

Buy the best you can afford for your intended usage depending on what's available at the time.

I have no brand loyalty, they are all big companies with shareholders to please. I've owned AMD and Intel CPU's and AMD and nvidia graphics cards.

I base purchases on price and whether the hardware can do what I want to achieve, that's all.

Edit, That said, I am pleased AMD seem to be back at the table competing with Intel, a monopoly is always a bad thing.

Last edited:
Associate
If the HS is sitting on the Glue rather than on the PCB that just shoddy workmanship, which is worse than using crap TIM instead of solder.

seems to vary by where the chip is manufactured, think mine has Malaysia on it but seems fine, could have been a process issue at one of their plants?

but to be fair, under normal conditions (without overclocking) it runs at the stock 4.5ghz without issue. and most chips can easily do 4.8-4.9ghz with a half decent aio/tower cooler.

another point is that even 70-80c temps are FINE on kabylake, tj Maxx is 100c, so Intel (the company that knows far more about these cpus than you or i) have said you can run these at 99c for years and it's perfectly safe and what they are designed for.

unless you're going for the top 1% overclocking records running it at a much lower temp literally does nothing at all.

Associate
No, I mean now. Even when Ryzen was released there were plenty of people saying an i7-7700K is a better buy. I don't think those people are thinking long term enough about the market.

I just got a 7700k, it seemed a better by over ryzen because it has superior gaming performance, why should I have bought amd, which offers less performance?

Caporegime
The point is instead of Intel addressing the complaint they are sidestepping it by quoting warranty......

As enthusiasts on an overclockers forum why so defensive over Intel? is it any wonder Intel use a cheap solution for connecting the HS to the DIE cap? it doesn't matter does it? an army of Intel apologists will run to their defence....

Please stop it. it gives Intel carte-blanche

Last edited:
Soldato
I just got a 7700k, it seemed a better by over ryzen because it has superior gaming performance, why should I have bought amd, which offers less performance?
Maybe you shouldn't have. I just wonder what that extra 5 FPS you get is worth the extra money, the dead end platform that means you'll have to pay Intel for a new platform in a couple of years. But more broadly, supporting Intel right now, who have had a near-monopoly for nearly a decade, when AMD is actually finally competitive only makes the market worse for you in the future. In 5 years the new CPU you might buy could be 30% better than your i7-7700K, sure, but if competition was really heated up, Intel might be kicked into gear and offer much better products for you at that time.

It's all speculative of course but it's pretty obvious that competition helps consumers generally.

Soldato
Amd say the same thing about warranty if you care to read the small print, if Intel or amd could be confident saying our 4ghz chip can run at 5ghz all day long at max load, then they'd sell them as 5ghz chips.

There's a million different hardware configurations to consider and many more end users who will push the envelope and push for a little bit more OC and a little bit more temperature etc, the manufacturer isn't going to warranty all of these scenarios so they set a bar, and beyond that, you're outside warranty.

Soldato
Amd say the same thing about warranty if you care to read the small print, if Intel or amd could be confident saying our 4ghz chip can run at 5ghz all day long at max load, then they'd sell them as 5ghz chips.
Not necessarily, you have to consider volume, market forces, TDP, etc. Even if 99% of i7-7700Ks could run at 4.8 GHz on stock voltage, that still isn't good enough, they need 99.999% really, that's why essentially every CPU and GPU can be undervolted.

Associate
Maybe you shouldn't have. I just wonder what that extra 5 FPS you get is worth the extra money, the dead end platform that means you'll have to pay Intel for a new platform in a couple of years. But more broadly, supporting Intel right now, who have had a near-monopoly for nearly a decade, when AMD is actually finally competitive only makes the market worse for you in the future. In 5 years the new CPU you might buy could be 30% better than your i7-7700K, sure, but if competition was really heated up, Intel might be kicked into gear and offer much better products for you at that time.

It's all speculative of course but it's pretty obvious that competition helps consumers generally.

in the games I play, and titles I'm currently on my 'to play' steam library, it's about 20-40 fps difference, which is fairly significant to me.

z270 platform still has coffeelake to come out, do the platform certainly isn't dead?

Associate
The point is instead of Intel addressing the complaint they are sidestepping it by quoting warranty......

As enthusiasts on an overclockers forum why so defensive over Intel? is it any wonder Intel use a cheap solution for connecting the HS to the DIE cap? it doesn't matter does it? an army of Intel apologists will run to their defence....

Please stop it. it gives Intel carte-blanche

because the comment is just a basic reply from a rep on a forum.

simple really, Intel has no idea on every single person's cooling solution, I mean for all they know half the people complaining are using a 10 year old basic tower cooler covered in dust.

how exactly is Intel supposed to respond when people are basically saying "you have no idea what our cooling solutions are, you have no idea what voltage we are running at or clock speeds, but tell us why our cpu temps are high"

all Intel responded with is a simple blanket response of, overclocking/overvolting increases temperatures, if you're having issues with temps, maybe don't overclock ?

Soldato
Well great, but for gaming, amd CPU's have been a dead end platform for quite some time, maybe we'll see a similar resurgence from Intel in a few years. I'd welcome it as the market needs competition..

The graphics card market is similar, if you want a high end gpu, your only option is nvidia.

Caporegime
I really wish people would stop buying Intel's CPUs, they are a shambles of a company for enthusiasts and the sooner people stop seeking that last 5% performance at any price the faster real competition can return and we all benefit.

This doesn't make any sense.
Intel were the ones offering performance, I could have offered AMD any amount of money and they'd have fallen short of even a 2500K.

That said, with the steps AMD have made with Ryzen in price and performance everybody should be buying where possible.

Soldato
This doesn't make any sense.
Intel were the ones offering performance, I could have offered AMD any amount of money and they'd have fallen short of even a 2500K.

That said, with the steps AMD have made with Ryzen in price and performance everybody should be buying where possible.
I was talking about the present, not the past. Obviously until very recently enthusiasts had no choice.

Soldato
This really isn't outrageous, people showing their naivety. Delidding will void any processors warranty, from any manufacturer. Get better cooling, no issues here running 5 to 5.2.

Recommending users stop overclocking if they're constantly complaining the CPU is running too hot is fairly self-explanatory.

I really wish people would stop buying Intel's CPUs, they are a shambles of a company for enthusiasts and the sooner people stop seeking that last 5% performance at any price the faster real competition can return and we all benefit.

Have you used AM4? Quite a contrast there, chap. That platform is quirkier than a pan of toads. Anything, by comparison, is a hiccup.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Here is the direct link to where all this has come from > https://communities.intel.com/message/471425#471425

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer’s manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

Soldato
Here's another choice quote from Intel:

Please note that the warranty on Intel® processors will be void when the CPU frequency is changed. This can be either downclocking or overclocking the frequency.

I guess they want everyone to buy in to their overclocking warranty scheme.

Back
Top Bottom