• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Stop Overclocking.... really?!

This really isn't outrageous, people showing their naivety. Delidding will void any processors warranty, from any manufacturer. Get better cooling, no issues here running 5 to 5.2.

Recommending users stop overclocking if they're constantly complaining the CPU is running too hot is fairly self-explanatory.
True but it's more about the hypocrisy of intentionally charging more for an unlocked CPU, marketing the fact that it can be overclocked, and then telling users they shouldn't be overclocking because it voids warranty and that delidding voids warranty (which wouldn't be an issue if they didn't skimp on the TIM on a CPU essentially designed for overclocking).

Have you used AM4? Quite a contrast there, chap. That platform is quirkier than a pan of toads. Anything, by comparison, is a hiccup.
I have not. Pretty much all new platforms have issues (e.g. B3 revision, Phenom bug, numerous X99 issues) and AM4 is such a leap from AM3 I'd expect more issues than normal, especially given the CPU is completely redesigned and has a new memory controller. At least AMD is generally being honest about them and keeping the community up to date on AGESA updates and the like.

My temps are fine 50c to 70c depending on load. But mines a brand new build all new components and good cooler.
Overclocking can never be supported by Intel with warranty or guarantees as they can't control the end product ie people break stuff that's your own choice and risk not Intel's or AMDs for that matter
Big coverage in the online media and community on this but it's nothing new and no big deal. More vcore more speed equals more heat. Intel have tested out the box they can't do more than that

My temps are fine 50c to 70c depending on load. But mines a brand new build all new components and good cooler.
Overclocking can never be supported by Intel with warranty or guarantees as they can't control the end product ie people break stuff that's your own choice and risk not Intel's or AMDs for that matter
Big coverage in the online media and community on this but it's nothing new and no big deal. More vcore more speed equals more heat. Intel have tested out the box they can't do more than that

Good point. I have noticed in your sig that you have got yours running at 4.9ghz. Impressive. What cooler are you using?

'Don't overclock the K CPU's we made made for the consumers to overclock'
Technically speaking when you buy a K series you're buying the higher than normal clock speeds, the fully unlocked multiplier is just a side thing (I know that's not how it "works" out when people make purchase decisions, but it is how they are marketed/sold).

Technically speaking when you buy a K series you're buying the higher than normal clock speeds, the fully unlocked multiplier is just a side thing (I know that's not how it "works" out when people make purchase decisions, but it is how they are marketed/sold).
Devil's Canyon was heavily marketed on the back of its improved overclocking capability, including on official Intel press material.

4ghz-haswell-645x343lwxxl.jpg

4790k-overclocking-fezvbm7.jpg

They have marketing material advising how how awesome the fact you can overclock is in every generations K series marketing material.

This is a warning excerpt from the 6700k & 6600K Marketing & Product Brief.

"4 WARNING: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. For more information, visit: http://www.intel.com/consumer/ game/gaming-power.htm Not all features available on all processors or chipsets for more information on which processors support the capability, see ark.intel.com."

For Intel to state just don't overclock the CPU we told you that we designed for you to overclock, is a bit of a cop out, to quote a famous issue - you're holding it wrong. :)

They have marketing material advising how how awesome the fact you can overclock is in every generations K series marketing material.

This is a warning excerpt from the 6700k & 6600K Marketing & Product Brief.

"4 WARNING: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. For more information, visit: http://www.intel.com/consumer/ game/gaming-power.htm Not all features available on all processors or chipsets for more information on which processors support the capability, see ark.intel.com."

For Intel to state just don't overclock the CPU we told you that we designed for you to overclock, is a bit of a cop out, to quote a famous issue - you're holding it wrong. :)

This is the same as it's been for years and years and years and years and exists throughout components.

It's not limited to just Intel.

This is the same as it's been for years and years and years and years and exists throughout components.

It's not limited to just Intel.

This is a discussion about the hypocrisy of Intel, so it is relevant to point out that they charge more for the unlocked version of the CPU, vs. just unlocking them all with the same warning. Not charging for something they tell you is possible, but meh if we change our minds we'll point you to the fact we had a caveat in the small print, so you paid for nothing.

This is a discussion about the hypocrisy of Intel, so it is relevant to point out that they charge more for the unlocked version of the CPU, vs. just unlocking them all with the same warning. Not charging for something they tell you is possible, but meh if we change our minds we'll point you to the fact we had a caveat in the small print, so you paid for nothing.

No more or less hypocritical than the overclocking geared GPU's we buy and then overclocked with vendor utilities with the same stipulations.

Overclocking isn't officially supported, regardless of your CPU vendor.
It's just not news.

I do agree however that the stance should be removed, given todays market.

No more or less hypocritical than the overclocking geared GPU's we buy and then overclocked with vendor utilities with the same stipulations.

Overclocking isn't officially supported, regardless of your CPU vendor.
It's just not news.

I do agree however that the stance should be removed, given todays market.

Indeed, and Intel only started charging for the unlock when they didn't have any real competition in the enthusiast space, I mean I've never paid more for an unlocked CPU, and I've gone from Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, etc. all the way to modern Ryzen chips.

So personally I think it is news worthy, especially people who are not a up to speed as some enthusiasts and they think spending an extra £40-70 for nothing. They could put that to use on a better GPU, more RAM or just plain save it, not to mention they are not stuck buying a specially required chipset motherboard, to support the overclockable CPU they might not be able to overclock.

AMD say the same thing if you look beyond the marketing blurb and look at the actual T&C's of the warranty.

They are not saying you can't overclock, they are saying we don't recommend it.

If you choose to over clock, and running high temperatures and /or voltage, bad things can happen.
They can't control how much juice you chose to put through your cpu to attain a certain clock speed. They have no control over your cooling solution.

If you run your chip at 100 degrees centigrade then you'll trash your chip, that's user error.

If running a stock configuration and you have an issue, it's not a problem, it's a warranty issue.

Indeed, and Intel only started charging for the unlock when they didn't have any real competition in the enthusiast space, I mean I've never paid more for an unlocked CPU, and I've gone from Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, etc. all the way to modern Ryzen chips.

So personally I think it is news worthy, especially people who are not a up to speed as some enthusiasts and they think spending an extra £40-70 for nothing. They could put that to use on a better GPU, more RAM or just plain save it, not to mention they are not stuck buying a specially required chipset motherboard, to support the overclockable CPU they might not be able to overclock.

Unlocked CPU's didn't start with K Sandy's, nor are they exclusive to Intel (Black edition AMD CPU's)
Although AMD have been fully unlocked since Bulldozer, but position of weakness and all that. Not that a locked AMD chip would have been a problem. Best overclocking CPU I had was a locked CPU, but that's just down to how overclocking works on the latter Intel stuff.

Intel aren't saying they're taking away overclocking at all, if they did lock the CPU, it's no longer unlocked, therefore it's not as sold.

Unlocked CPU's didn't start with K Sandy's, nor are they exclusive to Intel.
Although AMD have been fully unlocked since Bulldozer, but position of weakness and all that. Not that a locked AMD chip would have been a problem. Best overclocking CPU I had was a locked CPU, but that's just down to how overclocking works on the latter Intel stuff.

Whut? Who else locked the CPU's they sold after many, many, many years of them be multiplier unlocked, answer no one. Intel started locking the CPU's, then the made the unlocked 'K' series and sold the unlock as a value add.

Please educate me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom