Strasbourg shooting: Gunman at large after three killed and 12 injured

Caporegime
Where are these well-educated terrorists? I only know of the duo in Fort whatsitsname in the US.

it has been documented plenty of times, here is a news story and a paper making reference to it. The ideology is the motivation here, terrorists can come from poor backgrounds or indeed middle class, educated backgrounds.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2008/01/08/suicide-bombers-warriors-of-the-middle-class/

https://jeannicod.ccsd.cnrs.fr/ijn_00000676

Living mostly in the diaspora and undeterred by the threat of retaliation against original home populations, jihadis, who are frequently middle-class, secularly well educated, but often “born-again” radical Islamists, including converts from Christianity, embrace apocalyptic visions for humanity's violent salvation. In Muslim countries and across western Europe, bright and idealistic Muslim youth, even more than the marginalized and dispossessed, internalize the jihadi story, illustrated on satellite television and the Internet with the ubiquitous images of social injustice and political repression with which much of the Muslim world's bulging immigrant and youth populations intimately identifies. From the suburbs of Paris to the jungles of Indonesia, I have interviewed culturally uprooted and politically restless youth who echo a stunningly simplified and decontextualized message of martyrdom for the sake of global jihad as life's noblest cause.

Caporegime
You didn't mention the Trump campaign in your question...

Mullers remit is to look into:

• The Russian government's efforts to interfere in the election
  • Any links or co-ordination between Russia and Trump campaign-linked individuals
  • Any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation

Soldato
They certainly said he was born in Stasbourg

Bloody immigrants! Oh.

dayum it just got a bit awkward in here....:p

One of the main reasons why we are in the mess we are in in the first place is as a result of this rather bizarre concept that, whatever your cultural/national/ethnic background, you magically become (Say) French simply because you were born there.

Soldato
GD, are you telling me that i will never fully integrate due to my parents being foreigners? :(

So, how do we control undesirables such as myself from becoming legal citizens?

If the people immigrating are seemingly good people who are here to contribute and are determined low risk, are we going to turn them down on the basis that their son 30 years later could be scum?

That is literally how it works, assuming you are bought up there your whole life.

Actually you legally become french, rather than magically. To be honest the former offers more credibility to the claim than the latter.

Soldato
I mean if my wife was pregnant and gave birth in France, then we came back to England the next day and never returned....the kid isn't french is it?

The trigger for child to be a British citizen is that the parents are British citizens. However, if the child is born overseas they are defined as British by descent. This means that they will not have the right to pass their citizenship to their children if they are born overseas too.

Interesting caveat

Caporegime
Not really in that instance no, but if you if lived there for 29 years... if you aren't French then i don't what to say.

I used to work for a mobile phone company. We regularly had people who were 2nd or 3rd generation calling up to speak on behalf of their parents who didnt speak a word of english and had been in the country for decades.
I've got a friend who is 3rd gen and his grandma has been here since the early 60s. She still doesn't speak English. His grandfather went to the grave without learning it.

Caporegime
I used to work for a mobile phone company. We regularly had people who were 2nd or 3rd generation calling up to speak on behalf of their parents who didnt speak a word of english and had been in the country for decades.
I've got a friend who is 3rd gen and his grandma has been here since the early 60s. She still doesn't speak English. His grandfather went to the grave without learning it.

I meant if you were born there and lived there for that long that you were inherently integrated more than the 1st gen. Though it's rather the French government's fault for not stating that immigrants should probably speak the language after a time (which i find to be a valid issue). I certainly don't expect someones grandparent who only came here because their grandson/daughter was a citizen to be able to speak the language, but if they are a legitimate first gen immigrant that had children after the fact...not bothering to speak the language is just crass.

Man of Honour
My
My Mother in law has been in the UK since 1972. She can barely speak a word of English.

Soldato
The law may determine their citizenship etc, but practically speaking to the holder it may mean absolutely nothing.

I know a number of British born Pakistanis who consider themselves to be Pakistani and NOT British, and hold more of an attachment to their origins than they do to their place of birth.

Their red passport is just a means to an end, and they commonly refer to Pakistan as 'home' when they go over for a visit.

This has been my experience.

Soldato
You could also argue that there are plenty of British born people of British descent with no attachment to the country, as evident in a thread on GD we had a while back. Stuff like that is a personal think and difficult to measure with one metric or another.

Fact is that you have to draw the line somewhere, where would you draw it?

I was born here, grew up here but am of completely foreign descent of different countries. Some of these arguments suggest that i might not belong here or should have Bitish citizenship but where else?

Caporegime
You didn't mention the Trump campaign in your question...

Mullers remit is to look into:

• The Russian government's efforts to interfere in the election
  • Any links or co-ordination between Russia and Trump campaign-linked individuals
  • Any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation

The thing is though they've found nothing so are resorting to prosecuting people close to Trump for petty crimes 10 years ago that most people in Washington are probably also guilty of.

A much bigger story is senior members of the FBI (Comey, Strzok and Page) using a false DNC funded dossier to spy on the Trump campaign and the Mueller investigation conveniently being used by the same FBI to avoid answering questions about it. Hopefully Mueller will move onto it after the Russia collusion witch hunt has finished.

Soldato
Well I am not sure if its confirmed but Sky News is reporting that a French prosecutor is claiming that Chekatt started shouting the motive giveaway of 'Allahu Akbar' during his spree.

Caporegime
Well I am not sure if its confirmed but Sky News is reporting that a French prosecutor is claiming that Chekatt started shouting the motive giveaway of 'Allahu Akbar' during his spree.

It's not news, we've (or atleast the police believe that) known he was radicalised in prison, so him using the term is unsurprising and frankly i'd even call it a meme at this point.

Back
Top Bottom