Streaming issues

Associate
Just wondering if anybody can help with a issue my son is having with his gaming pc. I am not pc minded what's so ever so this will be slow. When my son wants too live stream his game play it constantly stream lags, when we open the task master the CPU you is running at 100%. He says he cant get above 360p even when its lagging(video quality) I'm told
The game would not run on the pc also as this was laggy, but always had a few issue with the pc. We had the pc checked by a third party due to this issue. It was found that some of the 8GB of RAM was corrupt, so this was replaced. This sorted the issue with the game, now it runs fine with discord open just the streaming issues.
The game he wants to stream is Forza horizon 4 and stream this to twitch, also along side this he runs discord for the chat of his stream.
If he runs the game along with discord and no streaming then this is fine. its just when he converts to live streaming this is when he gets the lag on stream
The game plays fine on the pc monitor while streaming but lags on the stream.
He says he used OBS but this was slow, so he is trying shadow play the GE force app and that's laggy also. Our internet speed is between 50-60mbps through ethernet cable.

The specs of the pc are as follows(purchased through overclockers 2 years ago)

Windows 10
Intel I5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 core ,4 logic pro
Ram 16 gb
Nvidia G-Force GTX 1070
Motherboard ASUSTek, H110-Plus, REV X.0x

Soldato
It's because he's using a 4 core CPU to both play the game and convert that picture to upload to the internet. He could try using NVidia's NVENC, a part of the GPU to encode the video, to try and take the load off of the processor - try this guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/nvidia-nvenc-guide.740/ The geforce app should use NVENC I would have thought, I'm not sure as I don't use NVidia GPU's, but try that through OBS.

That being said he's trying to do too much for the processor he has and still be CPU limited, read run out of CPU first before GPU, with the I5-6600. You can't even overclock as it's the non-k version.

TLDR; need a better CPU I think..

//edit, You could try getting the elgato streaming card, this one:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £178.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

They offload the processing of the video stream tot he Elgato, but it would be an expensive experiment..

Associate
Following one of the Windows 10 updates in the past (think it was a feature/big update) it changed the way that GPU prioritisation works.

On Windows 7 and/or earlier versions of Windows 10, when steaming, the stream would consume as much resource needed to ensure smooth streaming and the in-game FPS would take a bit of a hit.

Now, games seem to take priority over streaming, so if a game is using 100% GPU utilisation, this will not leave enough resource for the stream to operate smoothly and the stream takes a performance hit.

The only way to get around this is to ensure that GPU utilisation is lower than 85-90% at any given time, to do this you will either need to limit in-game FPS to the point where it brings GPU utilisation down to 85-90% max at any given time and/or turn down game quality settings (resolution, quality) to bring the GPU utilisation down so that there's enough resource for the stream to operate smoothly alongside the game.

Its a right pain in the backside as affects each game differently (as GPU utilisation differs between games as some are more intensive than others) and the reason why many end up getting a dedicated streaming PC/laptop and capture card.

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
I'm guessing this is a CPU issue, it cant run all the programmes at once. Its just overloading the CPU. Now I'm guessing an upgrade CPU isn't cheap, what Processer would you recommend to be able to run all the applications. If I change the processer, does this mean change of motherboard, cooling fans etc. Like mentioned above, would a integrated capture card alleviate the issue, or is and up graded processor the way to go. Can you buy these second hand or trade with the CPU I already have.

Soldato
The best your motherboard can take is the Core i7-7700K, with a bios update first, but these are CRAZY expensive, something like £200-250 on the bay - so not worth it.

I don't think adding the elgato will help much as you will still be CPU limited running just games, and your son will want smooth gameplay, whilst streaming, whilst running a discord server - it's a lot to ask even for the i7-7700K. The only good thing about the i7-7700K is that you can overclock it, but for the money you can buy a new CPU/motherboard/memory that will beat the 7700k.

My advice it to get these:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £148.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Couple this with a 2600 or 2700, preferably the 2700 as he needs the core/threads for streaming, from the rainforest site for £100-130, OcUK are a bit too expensive here for those parts, and keep the rest of his machine the same - should be sorted.

//Edit, just to add. You could buy the 7700k and sell what you have, the issue being that you are then going from a 4 core/4thread cpu to a 4 core/8thread CPU which, for intel anyway, only adds about ~15% or so performance - so still not worth it IMO. Also you can still sell the motherboard/CPU/RAM and recuperate some of the outlay that way.

Associate
OP
That price is workable, if this will defiantly solve the issues he is seeing then it is a worthy investment. I've just got to make sure that this will work. like I stated previously I have zero knowledge on pc. I have come on here to get help and the vast knowledge of the forum users. What is the 2700, is that the CPU replacement?

Full spec gb/Motherboard from above,
Team group elite 16GB(2x8GB)DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Chanel Kit
Asus H110-Plus intel H110 Socket DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Associate
OP
Might sound abit stupid, but is the site rainforest. Because if I type rainforest in search bar, im guessing it will bring up a rainforest or something stupid like the amazon.:p

Associate
OP
When I remove the old components from the computer and install the new components, will their be install etc or will the software just run straight away along side each other when the pc is turned on. I will be looking at a third party installing these for me, or is this something I could carry out myselves.

Soldato
When I remove the old components from the computer and install the new components, will their be install etc or will the software just run straight away along side each other when the pc is turned on. I will be looking at a third party installing these for me, or is this something I could carry out myselves.

You would need to install a fresh copy of windows 10 which you can download for free but then you need an activation code unless you own a retail copy? the activation code can be brought for a couple of pounds from a certain site already mentioned in this thread.

Associate
OP
O.k that's fine, cant remember if it was preinstalled by over clockers when I purchased the pc. sure I have the disc at home as I have kept all the original packaging. The Question is, is it easy to fit all the components into the pc. The design of the case is that the full side panel can be removed for easy access.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Hello Guys, continuing from the previous conversation concerning my sons streaming issue. I got in touch with overclocker concerning the issues and the below is what I was recommend. Is the below a good upgrade for now and the next couple of years or will he see issues again with the streaming he is requiring to do.
He is wanting to stream the new Call of Duty in 1080, run Discord, overlays, and the elgato etc would the below 2 options be acceptable and which is the best option. Price is not an issue, just want the correct components to carry out want he is wanting to achieve and more if required

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 £332.49
HS-05A-AL Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm 1 £35.79 £35.79
MB-6CT-AS Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Intel Z390 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £166.60
MY-0A4-TG Team Group Night Hawk RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 £124.99
PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black (TF1D1 £124.99

or

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor £249.99
HS-05A-AL Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm 1 £35.79
MB-6DU-AS Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard £208.2
MY-0A4-TG Team Group Night Hawk RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black (TF1D) £124.99

Back
Top Bottom